Kauai or Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Concerning my experience, what is realistic to expect for diving in Maui or Kauai? If I get my Advanced PADI Certification, I will still only have a total of 9 dives logged (4 being in 20ft of water in a lake). Do you think this would prepare me to do the Molokini Back Wall, Molokai, or Niihau? If I am not going to dive these places anyhow, should I even think about getting my Advanced certification before going?

Ni'ihau is out of the question at your experience level. But the boats won't even be running over at that time of year so it's a moot point. It's a rough, long, ride over and back. Unless you're really good on boats, you'll likely feed the fish one way or the other. You're an awful long way from a hospital/chamber if you get bent also. You would need better skills at Ni'ihau than to do the Molokini backwall.

While I have not dived Molokini, I have dived Ni'ihau. It is not new diver friendly. Even experienced divers can have serious problems there. However, once you have the skills and experience, make sure it gets on your list. It is truly an amazing dive.

We did the back side of Molokini last summer - the boat did anchor right at the front edge of the way and we worked our way around. We opted to stay close to the front side, but did go about 100 yards around the back. Rest of our boat went further, but we stayed in our comfort level. Our boat had three guide/masters with the group of 8 divers. My wife and I ended up spending three days diving with one dive master. Great trip. No one ever pushed us to even think about going beyond our comfort level.

Diversteve, you confirmed a lot of things I was wondering about these dives. I will save those until I have a lot more experience and scratch thinking about AOW until a couple more years. In terms of easy dives, are Molokini and Lanai (Cathedrals) pretty much for any level?

I've never been to Maui. I've been to Kauai, but wasn't diving then though I did snorkel which was nice. Kauai is really laid back, not much nightlife to speak of at all. From my understanding, Maui has more nightlife. Not sure if that matters to you and your wife, just thought I'd add it in though.

Wow, I love both places! but I'd say for diving I enjoyed diving Maui more than Kuai. Due to the trip to Lanai, diving the cathedrals mainly. On the other hand Kuai's Kee beach is a fantastic snorkeling location, and the life style is more laid back than Maui. Oh heck, go to both!

qb79 you asked about Molokini. FWIW, Molokini crater was my first salt water dive, first dive deeper than 40 feet, first boat dive. and yes I'd say the crater is suitable for OW level. Save the back wall for later.
the cathedrals should be a dive for intermediate experience levels since there are a lot of swim throughs that will impede your ability to access the surface directly, if your comfortable with your buoyancy you should be fine.

I'm sorry, can't help it, it's like asking Roger Rabbit to be quiet.

Maui also has less rainfall, so you're more likely to have lovely weather through an entire visit.

Maui actually should easily get more rain (by cubic foot or acre feet) than Kauai, it's just spread out over more land area :eyebrow:

Either way you are right about the weather odds; better odds in South and West Maui.

Last edited:
Maybe it's more of a Monk-ish thing...

We did the back side of Molokini last summer - the boat did anchor right at the front edge of the way and we worked our way around. We opted to stay close to the front side, but did go about 100 yards around the back.

:no:

There is no anchoring allowed at Molokini, by law. There are State installed (or approved?) moorings. There is a mooring right at the point of Reef's End. 100 yds or so around is a normal Reef's End dive, even from the 2nd sand channel mooring.

If the Boat had untied and followed you around until you ascended that is called Reef's End Drift, and is one of my favorite winter dives :D

Diversteve, you confirmed a lot of things I was wondering about these dives. I will save those until I have a lot more experience and scratch thinking about AOW until a couple more years. In terms of easy dives, are Molokini and Lanai (Cathedrals) pretty much for any level?
As Brewski said, Molokini is an easy dive for all levels. Some diveops will sort you by skill level anyway depending on the site they're diving that morning.

We had a good dive there once just in less than 60' of water, saw a couple of scorpionfish, a turtle and a resting white tip shark in about 10mins. And you're mobbed by the fish just about anywhere thanks to the snorkelers that feed them. Acres of coral to fly over. Otoh, Shark Condos off the end is 130' and much more difficult. Don't do that one this trip...

When we dove Cathedrals I, there was a couple on our boat who'd been certified earlier that week. They managed fine. It's about a 60' entrance and overhead obstructed in some areas - meaning that you can't get to air or the surface if needed. So maybe that would be something to do at least later in your trip. I'd really ask whoever you go out there with first.

It can be a little pitchy at Cathedrals occasionally. We watched another diveop with a zodiac drop divers there, they had a heck of a time recovering them later.

There's mixed diving options off Lanai, we did a dive called SharkFin, the DM and the group went in towards shore and found octopus in shallow water along a cliff, my insta-buddy and I went out and about killed ourselves when the current picked up around the pinnacle. The fish make it look so easy...lol.

There will always be DM in the water with you off Maui - I think it's the law. Some of the operators will have two in the water - Maui Dive Shop and (I think) Lahaina Divers does this. There will typically be less experienced divers on their boats also. One nice thing about Lahaina Divers is they have nice big 46' Newton diveboats, they're better for the ride over and easier to get on/off. Sometimes more crowded but I've also been on their boat once with 7 others.

Maui Dive Shop owns a bigger boat that runs out of Maalea also - it's north of Kihei. They also have dive locations up and down the coast so determine what boat it is if you book with them - boats that leave out of the Kihei Boat Ramp are smaller because they're trailered in/out. For a beginner they might be a good option, later you'd probably pick someone else.

Probably where you're staying determines to a certain extent who/where you dive - it's about 45mins. driving between Kihei and Lahaina. Not always - but typically West Maui boats go to Lanai, South Maui boats go to Molokini and leave around 6AM to beat the tradewinds when coming back from Molokini. Most afternoon boats stay near Maui for that reason.

Can't help it, not really my fault

And you're mobbed by the fish just about anywhere thanks to the snorkelers that feed them.

First, other than by vomiting it's illegal to feed fish at Molokini and only a few crappy boat crew might not enforce/follow that law. Second, the snorkelers are not in the same part of the crater as the divers, unless you dive from a snorkel boat. For the most part the fish divers see are different fish from those the snorkelers see. :blinking:

It's about a 60' entrance and overhead obstructed in some areas - meaning that you can't get to air or the surface if needed.

The max depth of the floor of 2nd Cathedral is ~60', max depth of 1st is a little less. We often dive the Cathedrals as a planned 60' max depth dive. The majority of the overhead is quite a bit shallower than 60'. The max linear distance to the surface is less than the depth recommendation for AOW. You can access the surface at all times on the dive, just not always straight up. :)

There's mixed diving options off Lanai, we did a dive called SharkFin, the DM and the group went in towards shore and found octopus in shallow water along a cliff, my insta-buddy and I went out and about killed ourselves when the current picked up around the pinnacle. The fish make it look so easy...lol.

That operator probably doesn't allow unguided diving there any more. :coffee:

There will always be DM in the water with you off Maui - I think it's the law. Some of the operators will have two in the water

It's not a law so much as a speculated definition. Even if the regulations didn't say "... under supervision ..." having a guide in the water mitigates numerous issues for the charter operator. In Hawaii it's just not worth it to let boat divers dive on their own. If there's more than 6 or so divers on the boat there is a couple guides or more. :D

Can't help it, not really my fault
Second, the snorkelers are not in the same part of the crater as the divers, unless you dive from a snorkel boat.
That dive we were - on the Pride of Maui.

That operator probably doesn't allow unguided diving there any more. :coffee:
Probably not, that was around 2001. Might've been MDS...

You really must have a very neat house....:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom