Kauai in early July - water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
We will be in Kauai for about 10 days in the beginning of July. What will water temps be like at that time at the surface and at depth? We will be staying on the north shore and will certainly be doing some diving at Tunnels, but am also trying to arrange a Nihau trip on at least one day.

Thanks!

Chris

We were there in June last year and the water temp was 78-80 degrees. Bubbles Below does a great trip to Nihau and the West and North shore of Kauai that time of year.

May to Oct ~ 78 degrees is the trigger for the coral spawn in May. Then the temperature typically lowers several degrees after that affair for several weeks before rebounding back up ~79 degrees to a summer high of 81 degrees 1-5mm suits are fine

FAQs | Bubbles Below Kauai scuba dive tours

I was there in earlyt July last year, my computer says water temp is 78F. The two shop I used gave out 3mm shorty by default. I have to ask for 3mm full suit. I did feel cold after a few dives, especially during SI. I would have gone iwth 5mm next time.

Yep... water should be 77-79! Can't wait. It's around 73 right now -brrrrrrrr!

Tunnels may be a little cooler (but just by a degree or so) as it sometimes is influenced by fresh water run off. It's cetainly best with a guide if you really want to experience some of the lesser known lava tubes and areas. Minimally you should ask a guide about currents and best time to dive. The water spills into that reef from the east and can at times flow pretty strong through the site. The only proper entry exit is up current there and divers do occasionally get into trouble up there not accounting for this. There is an inner and outer reef up there and it is easy to do several dives out there without seeing all the site has to offer.

Niihau is simply AWESOME and among the best locations that the state has to offer. Monk seals (critically endangered), sharks, rays, dolphins, endemic fish, nudibranchs, moray eels, large lava tubes, vertical drop offs..... Wow!

I've been leading dives there for over 10 years and can't wait for the season to begin. It's nice that you have three options for travel over there with Fathom Five, Seasport or Bubbles below. While I personally work for Seasport divers I think all 3 do a great job.

If I can help you with any arrangements or advice just send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

Happy planning! Hope to see you in the summer
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom