Kauai Diving May 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwlmgold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We dove 2 days at Kaloa Landing in May. There was some unusual southern swell and my wife had some problems with surge at the entry point. We dove Tunnels with Fathom Five. The DMs were heroic in dealing with the restrictions contained in their permit and the conditions on the north shore. We were treated to a visit with a Monk Seal immediately after we dropped down at Tunnels. Here are some Pix. The album is a mix between Tunnels and Koloa Landing.

https://www.adoberevel.com/shares/d...d21f9/albums/1ad2ac94c80f4921ad164d33463d41be

The Monk seal at Tunnels was awesome but after Kauai we went to Maui. On Maui we dove Second Cathedral which trumped Tunnels and Molokini Crater - aquarium which was one of the best dives I have ever done for colorful fish. My opinion is I would rather dive Maui than Kauai.

Great pics!! I've been considering Hawaii for a trip. Did you find the diving on Kauai good?

I just did a 2 tank dive with Seasport in Kauai on the south shore and it was awesome. We were pushed further off shore to deal with surge, but in the end we saw lots of cool stuff. We were diving a site off the Grand Hyatt for reference. I was hoping to do a Niihau dive but was here wrong time of year. I hear Niihau has some of the best sites in Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've dove Maui (16 dives), Big Island (4 dives) and Kauai (4 dives). Big Island and Maui are much better for diving (I did not do Nihau). Each island offers unique topside activities, but if you're going for diving, Kauai should be lower on your list.

I've dove Maui (16 dives), Big Island (4 dives) and Kauai (4 dives). Big Island and Maui are much better for diving (I did not do Nihau). Each island offers unique topside activities, but if you're going for diving, Kauai should be lower on your list.

May be true. I haven't had the chance to dive big island or Maui, but I saw really cool stuff on my Kauai dive, including a large scorpion fish and spotted knife jaw. Plenty of other tropicals and reasonable coral. The Niihau dive is supposed to be a drift dive with walls and ledges, lots of life, and up to 200 feet of viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom