Kauai Diving In March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info tankbreather.

Right now the group is split into two camps...rent our own equipment and do our own shore diving or pay for a guide and do boat dives. I'm sure conditions while we are there will play a big part in what we do, but having this info is great. If you are looking at the thread for the first time feel free to keep dishing out the info, the more the better.

Sub-question also, most of us are herpetologist so diving for sea turtles is very high on the list, also I have a personal interest in Manta and Eagle Rays. What dive sites should I know about and request if I go on a boat dive? Is March a good time to see these critters? Thanks!

Aloha!

Some quick info from a long time instructor/dm here...

Turtles, turtles, turtles.... that is what Kauai diving is largely about. Largest of the main Hawaiian Islands in fact in part largely due to the fact that Kauai is primarily an algae reef (food source). March will still be loaded with Whales early in the month so try try try to do at least one boat trip - NO WAY will you regret it!!!! Take that to the scuba bank.

Rays are hit and miss here though they are certainly always around - they just aren't site specific. Ahukini Landing near the airport is ALWAYS full of brown stingrays but not always diver friendly with conditions.

Out of Poipu where the bulk of operators leave - Sheraton Caverns is a must see. An easy dive for all levels it is AWESOME. Turtle city!!!!! And usually we can track down the amazing frogfish there. Max depth is 60 so it is good for nitrogen junkies who like long dives.

Koloa Landing is an easy dive for navigation on your own and a very user friendly dive site. However, you should consider one guided dive there. Why?

I took two divers there just last week. We saw Red and Green Hawaiian Lionfish (both endemic species), the eel of eels - The Dragon Moray, countless butterfly fish and the also endemic Bandit Angels, Stout-Yellowmargin, Whitemouth, and Dwarf Morays, an eagle ray at the edge of vis, turtles, a Pom-pom crab (very cute), 1 Devil, and 2 Leaf scorpion fish...... WOW! Then I had two divers come into our shop that afternoon that dove it on there own.... "We didnt see anything exciting."

Hmmmmmmm....... You get where I am going. Long time DM's here have a great talent - as is often the case - for finding these amazing critters that might otherwise be overlooked.

Maybe do one with a guide to get the overlay - then play on your own for a couple dives after learning what to look for and where.

Let me know if you have any other dive or non-dive questions. I will more than happy to provide you with any specific info to ensure you have a wonderful dive/non-dive trip to our amazing island.

The weather was quirky this week but returning to normal - and did I mention the Whales?? "You are in for an amazing experience!"

Best of island wishes
A

My first ever dive (post certification) was with bubbles below 18 years ago.What a blast... turtles everywhere- actually spooked me pretty good when one swam up and stopped inches from my mask asking for food.I remember thinking... sure hope I don't resemble anyone that has harassed her on the beach.She stared me down for 10-20 seconds and slowly swam off.Anyway bubbles below sure had it together 18 years ago!

Umm, starting to think the boat dive is the way to go after these comments. Also is March a rainy time of year in Kauai? I know it rains all the time there anyway, but I'm trying to figure in whether the weather will make shore diving not worth it and if the boats dives get away from the freshwater dumping into the sea after it rains.

Once again thanks for all the help.

By the way N2UF welcome!

I do agree, do a boat dive while you are there, but also do a shore dive. They are easy and you can do them on your schedule most of the time, but as AquamanKauai stated, I recommend a guided dive as you will not now the thrill of what you are seeing without them, i.e. a Spanish Dancer, Leaf Fish, or a Lion Fish; very cool.

Dermochelys:
Thanks for the links everyone! Also, does anyone know anything about Sacred Seas? I've seen there name tossed around here on the board, but from only one person. Finally is the shore diving good enough, or should I not be cheap and take a taxi to the south shore and get onto a boat dive? Thanks.

I've dropped into watching mode from being busy and also being the one person......

Sacred Seas also bases out of Kapaa, but we just drove S to Koloa Landing or N to Tunnels..

Mostly - As you noted, there Boat Dives are good and Shore Dives are good -and the operators that aren't don't stay in business long!

Enjoy!

Hi - I also will be in Kauai in March (8th-20th). We're certified and have all our stuff except tanks. We would like to find a underwater guide to show us a couple shore dives and then we can go back and explore ouselves.

For March, what would be the best bang for the buck boat dive?

I am also going in March. I am already certified and accustomed to diving the clear warm waters of the Pacific Northwest. In fact, just last weekend in the first 20 feet of the column the visibility was as good as ~4 feet, it was amazing how well I could read my guages. It was so bright at 80' that I could almost see which way was up. :wink:

Needless to say, I am looking forward to doing a couple of dives on Kauai. We are staying Po'ipu/Koloa, but I will have a car. I am the only one in my group (of 2) that dives, so I would need a operator that can provide a buddy. We will be there March 17th-21st, and I am looking to do 2-3 dives in a single day. I will have everything but tanks and weight.

I have read that Ni'ihau is the best diving in the islands, and Lehua is the place to go. I am still debating if I want to give up the entire day 6am-5:30pm for diving, and I'm not sure if the significant other will be appreciative.

Is Ni'ihau worth giving up 1 day out of a "6-day" (really 4) trip?

Hi Prius - I leave on the 20th (cannot dive on 19th), but might be interested in a multiday dive on the 18th, as I am sure my wife will be bored of diving by then and be glad to be rid of me for the day.

Are there any operators that do trips to Ni'ihau in March?

morganc:
Hi Prius - I leave on the 20th (cannot dive on 19th), but might be interested in a multiday dive on the 18th, as I am sure my wife will be bored of diving by then and be glad to be rid of me for the day.

Are there any operators that do trips to Ni'ihau in March?

I'm not sure, I hadn't checked with Bubbles Below. I see it on their site, but hadn't considered they may not run it until later in the year. http://www.bubblesbelowkauai.com/niihau.html

I just dropped them a line and got put on a notificiation list stating they would call me with updates. Currently they do not have any charters put together due to it being very weather dependent, they usually plan about 1-week in advance. We can check back with them as the 18th gets closer.

BTW, the 18th should be perfect for me. I think that is the day my SO would prefer, so the rest of the trip isn't limited by the diving (hiking, helicopter tour, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom