Kauai diving in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dave. I'll be there end of August so maybe it'll be a degree or 2 warmer. 80 F is plenty warm for me with just a skin; my wife, otoh, wears a 5 mil and hood at 80 F and still gets cold.

Bob

Just some advice for when you go to Ni'ihau--bring some extra warmth along. It's not that the water is colder, but there are more things to consider than with local dives in Kauai. Mostly, it comes down to the fact that you're doing three tanks in a day (I think this is the case with all the dive companies that go over there). The accumulation of these three dives often gets chilly for people. Anything to cover the head does wonders, as well as a vest of some sort. There are also some deeper depths over there, depending on which sites you do, so it's just something to think about. Glad to hear you're going to do this time. It's safe to say that it's the best diving on island. You're going to LOVE it.

We dived Ni'ihau today, three tanks and the water was 79. Good advice for those who get cold easy. I was fine in my 3mm but others shivered like wet puppies in 5mms, but they were little folks.

BTW Ni'ihau - OUTSTANDING! What an amazing site! Wow!

Just a sampling of the diving we did on Niihau last Tuesday. One word – Spectacular!

Here are a few pictures from my wifes P&S Sony. Video later.

We dropped here for a great drift dive. Site is called Keyhole.

Niihau.jpg

Nice wall dive, 100+ vis!
Niihau1.jpg

A look over the ledge to the abyss.

Me with video camera.
Niihau2.jpg

More walls!
Niihau5.jpg

Lazy Turtles
Niihau6.jpg

Niihau7.jpg

First, thanks to all for the tips on Tunnels. We dove with Fathom Five's co-owner Jeanette and had a great time. Given the complexity of the site, and Jeanette's great skills and personality, I felt like we got our money's worth. We'll be diving with her again on Sunday.
Speaking of which, thanks to Dave for the pictures. I'm practically wiping drool off my keyboard right now. We can't wait to get out there, and I have a feeling I'm going to want to come back sooner than my wallet does.
Last but not least, aascubagirl: I recognized the background of Dave's shot as the one from your avatar so I clicked on it. When your picture/profile popped up, you looked familiar. "Wait a minute..." I thought, "I think I walked right past her!". Were you at tunnels today? If so, I'm 99% certain you were walking towards the water as we got out after one of our dives. Sorry I didn't stop to say hi. We'll have to make a point of diving with you guys on a future trip. We're from Oahu so it's not that tough for us to swing by.

Thanks again guys, I might post a short Tunnels/Niihau trip report if I get a chance. Mahalo!

Diving Tunnels

Here are just a taste of what diving is like at Tunnels Beach. Again, thanks to Leah at Aquatic Adventures and their great dive guides, Jordon and Mercedes.

I will post some video footage later.

tunnels10.jpg

tunnels1.jpg

tunnels2.jpg

tunnels3.jpg

tunnels4.jpg

tunnels5.jpg

tunnels6.jpg

tunnels7.jpg

tunnels8.jpg

Aloha, Mike!

That was me :D I dove up there yesterday morning so we definitely crossed paths. How funny! I am glad to hear that you had such a great time at Tunnels. I love the diving in Kauai and agree w/Dave that it is definitely underrated. The more we can share our awesome diving, the better, IMO.

Stop by and say "aloha" next time around if you can and yes, we'd love to take you diving if you make it back out.

Dave, the pictures are great! Wish I had been there...

Aloha Dave and Family! Welcome back to Kauai! Bubbles Below Scuba Charters has 100cu ft. tanks for you to use so you and your buddy can have equal bottom time, no problem! We also have boats this week heading out to Niihau as well as our 2 tank Na Pali coast trip and our local 2 tank charters. The winds appear to be coming up this weekend, so it will be a calmer crossing on Tues./Wed then later in the week. Next week, who knows?

Kaimanu, We tried to hit as many dive operations this trip as time allowed. When we return, Bubbles Below is definitely on the list. We really loved diving Niihau and for those who want an out of this world dive, this is a must.

I like the idea of 100cf tanks for me! Maybe even DIN?

I’ll work on some of video of all of our 9 dives and post a few more of the pictures my lovely bride took.

Aloha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom