Kauai dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chs8084

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any current recommendations for dive operators in Kauai? I will be there in January 2010 (and am trying to decide whether to bring my 3 mm or 7 mm wetsuit).

First, if you get cold easy, bring the 7mm. If not bring the 3mm, that's what I used.

Aquatic Adventures for local shore diving is great.

For boat diving I used SeaSports and KAS - both did a great job.

In reality, all of the operations I ever hear of in Poipu (Seasport, KAS, Aquatic Adventures, FathomFive and Bubbles Below) get good recomendations here. I'd call, make an arrangement and work out a price and package with one or two of them, depending on my dive plans.

Last October I dove with Bubbles Below and was extremely pleased with them. Linda was just great at explaining the dive beforehand and then pointing out all sorts of neat creatures & things during the dive.

I don't know how cold you get but I would recommend the 7 mil. I had my 3 mil and I was not cold but I would have preferred to be a little warmer.

Have fun and let us know how your dives went.

Ken

I love diving in Hawaii. I am also going to Kauai in Nov. I heard that the shore dives are just as good as the boat dives. Any truth to this? Also where are the best shore dive spots? What are the best boat dive spots?

I love diving in Hawaii. I am also going to Kauai in Nov. I heard that the shore dives are just as good as the boat dives. Any truth to this? Also where are the best shore dive spots? What are the best boat dive spots?

To be 100% honest. The boat is a better, more exciting dives. There some spots that are as exciting as koloa. but There are spots that blow koloa out of the water. I am an 11yr vet of diving koloa.

Koloa is good if you are a new cert or an intro diver, The boat is great if you are a new or an experienced cert.

This past week we had a couple that it was their first time in the ocean since certification. They did Koloa first and did have a good time. That night they called us and signed up for the boat. They were blown out of the water. " they were making comments like " That is why we got certifiied." The same was true for the gresham party, They dive Koloa and Tunnels every year. They didnt want to do the boat because they get sea sick easily, After Koloa I talked them into doing a boat and gave them a remedy to avoid sea sickness. They did not get sick and where super excited as now the have a wealth of sites available to them that they were extremely impressed with.

I just started a new thread on the bottle nose we saw on the way out to the dive site. I will try and upload some pics from the dives that I ve take over the past week. for you guys to check out. Some from the boat and some from Koloa.

The best shore dive spot is Koloa Landing. The best boat dive spots are Hale O Honu, Cup coral Cathedral, Camp one, Turtle bluffs, General store, Sheraton Caverns, Zaq's Pocket, Fast Lanes are really cool dives. My Favorite Being Hale O honu. That is a great dive everytime I go.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the pictures Scubaman. I generally like the boat dives better also. I've done a lot of boat dives in Oahu. I'll check out those spots when I get there! Thanks Again!!

Hey just ran across your youtube channel also......cool!!!

Did a boat dive with Fathom Five today. We dove Fast Lanes and Sheraton Caverns. Lots of turtles, a monk seal checking us out the whole 2nd dive.....fantastic day of diving.

Fathom Five is a great outfit to boat dive with. Super friendly staff. Very patient and really know the boat dive sites.

For shore diving, I would get a couple dives in at Koloa Landing. Really nice shore dive. Horseshoe shape, easy to do 2 tanks. Packed full of all kinds of aquatic life. Pretty much all the south shore dive ops dive there for shore dives. Lots of great ops to choose from.

I dive with Aquatic Adventures for shore dives and Fathom Five for boat dives.

If you have not been diving in a while, I would recommend getting a shore dive in to refresh and then doing a boat dive.

Oh and I wear a 5mm wetsuit with gloves in the winter time. I usually get cold by my 2nd dive.

Have fun!

Thanks for info. I've done a lot of boat diving, just a month ago in Oahu so real comfortable with that.

Back
Top Bottom