Kauai Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be making my first dive trip to Kauai later this year (probably Oct). I am an experienced diver who makes twice yearly trips for warm water diving. Normally, I go to the Caribbean (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc).

Is there much shore diving? How much for boat trips? Which dives are "not to miss".

What is the water temp going to be like in Oct? What do most people wear for thermal protection in Oct?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I have been to Kauai in early November and most site other than those around Poipu were not divable. We did shore diving from Koloa Landing and it was pretty good one day and we had poor vis on the other day.

Sheraton Caverns is a easy and fun dive but it is not a shore dive. I know of a few have done it and regretted it. We used SeaSports divers and FathomFive for the boat trips – both shops did a great job for us.

We are all set to return to Kauai this July, all 19 of us for more fun in the sun and sea!

The other op to consider is Bubbles Below. They did a good job with us last year. Oct is too late to do the Ni'ihau charter.

We did Koloa Landing Saturday (23rd) and booked it out of the Sheraton. Super great guide and the dives were pretty good. (I'm not sure quite what to compare them too though) Dove maui many many years ago.
Chilly though 73 or 72 I think.
The poor vis it due to the water draining in at the front of the bay, so you need to swim out more. I think it was 40-50'. Not sure if that "condition" ever changes much from what I understood.
We were told this was one of the better dives locations on the island.

I will be completing my open water dives in May on Kauai. I will be doing shore dives off of Tunnels beach through Dive Kauai Scuba Center, Kapaa. If the surf or weather doesn't cooperate we will be heading to the other end of the island. I can let you know how it was. We are staying near Tunnels and since my husband is not doing this with me, I thought being close to our condo would be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom