Katana2 - bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a good way to attach the bungee if you are just using a triglide

Here is a good way to attach the bungee if you are just using a triglide

Background - I’m new to SM. dozen dives or so. Lots to learn. Like my K2. The bungee comes with this oval lockout carabiner thing and that attaches to a fixed 1” D ring where the sternum strap is attached.

Question - any reason I SHOULD keep that middle oval thing or can I attach my bungee (the new red bungee -in attached picture -so i can see it better) direct to the tri (?) glide the 2” shoulder webbing is passing thru? I am aware I should keep extra length behind the bungee knots for future adjustment. I’m just wondering if the only function that oval is for is to have a quick way to disconnect the bungee or is there some other advantage?

Question 1: Are you "self-taught" or did you have an instructor?
Question 2: What was the reasoning for choosing the katana2?
Question 3: What tanks do you use?
Question 4: Do you dive dry or wet?
The video that JBFD is a way to attach the bungee to your shoulder straps but, I personally did not like it, and has some drawbacks. The version I use tends to keep it out of the tri-glide and is normally higher into the armpit(I attached a picture, it is just the same method except I arrange the bungee through the tri-glide differently) . Now for both of these to work you need to know how to place the tri-glide correctly so the tank doesn't dolphin on you. For someone who has a dozen dives, I recommend just having a loose piece of bungee connect to the main bungee. I can take a picture of it tomorrow cause I will have to set it up, but this will help you pinpoint the location for the tri-glides and you can move the bungee out of the way while trying to put the BCD on and then just simply move the bungee back up.
8a05ff812a06b6a9ed98cec20bfc0403.png

go direct to the triglide. no need for that extra piece!
I use one of these on my K2, but if I didn't have that I would just go through a string on the triglide
View attachment 640284
this bungie is pretty much for sure too long.

The quicklink or the boltsnap is there to keep the short bungie pulled forward so you can reach it. The maximum reach of the loops should be basically in your armpit - you extended the bungie which lets the cylinder neck hang lower

SavDiver - thanks for that. Answers: had instructor, got the basics, yearned for more, so on my own now. Got the K2 basically, due to lack of options locally. Just didn’t know enough guys in SM around here. I now have neutral 80s and like them. Always been wet diving. But new drysuit on it’s way soon. I’ll put SM diving aside and go back to BM as I learn the drysuit. This summer plan to ease into SM diving while dry. I’ll stick with the hardware config that came with K2 and get more dives under my belt then try your suggestion the direct connection to tri glide. I do see the cleanliness of that config and foresee switching to that. And thank u for that picture.

this bungie is pretty much for sure too long.
It’s actually not on me when I put on my drysuit with the undergarments. The bungee is barely pass my armpits. I run my hand down the shoulder strap and my thumb catches the bungee. Tanks rotate nicely and are pulled up. i also changed the bungee for something thinker than the stock one that came with the K2.

Back
Top Bottom