Kahuna Canyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In my lifelong quest to avoid the places I've already been, Kahuna Canyon recently caught my attention while talking with a LDS owner. Is anybody familiar with this site? Is it diveable fro kayak? How would I find it (I have a GPS unit)? Thanks.

Kahana Valley State Park is on Franko's... but not the actual dive site.

Could it be the same as the site in Kaaawa before you get to Crouching Lion? That is a scary dive. Ripping currents and about 2 foot viz with massive turtles and hammerheads. I've never been so spooked. I can direct you to that. Some small ship wrecks in there and lots of pukas.

"Maybe take a look at Franco's dive map. "

That might get me in the general area, but I wouldn't trust even an afternoon expedition on any triangulation based on hand-drawn coordinates on a tourists' map. I doubt it would be accurate enough, for example, to find the buoy of the YO although admittedly, I've never tried.

"Could it be the same as the site in Kaaawa before you get to Crouching Lion? That is a scary dive. Ripping currents and about 2 foot viz with massive turtles and hammerheads. I've never been so spooked. I can direct you to that. Some small ship wrecks in there and lots of pukas."

No, Kahuna Canyon is supposed to be offshore of Mokuleia just west of Haleiwa, but I would be very interested in the site you're talking about. I've been all around there and have found a bunch of rare fish but have never seen the hammerheads. Could you PM me a few details?

As I said, try look Franco's DIVE map. I do not think an afternoon expedition is advisable at this location; where were the last few hunter drownings on Oahu? A recent one was very close.

frankosmaps: Oahu Dive Map - The Gathering Place

That link is to the web page for Franco's Oahu DIVE map, and if you look down between Devil's Rock and Kaena PT. there is a listing for Kahuna Canyon. I have done it as a solo shore dive, by looking at Franco's DIVE map.

A good scouting trip is the glider or ultralight tours, or if you won't pony up for a flight, do an early morning climb up the blue rock a little. Plenty people find/found new to them dive sites without/before GPS. :idk:

Aaah... I read Kahana.

Found it on Franko's. I suspect you could find it from the map in this case.

I'll PM the directions for the other site.

I'm hoping the two guys who fell yesterday were not following my scouting advice...:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom