Kaanapali Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Unless they have changed dramatically in the last year or so, their dives are really targeted at the non-certified Discover scuba crowd that go on a snorkel tour and want to give scuba a try.

I am definitely looking for the best chance of a quality dive--good locations and bottom time. I know that in many dive locations around the world, the dive op can make a huge difference because they tend to attract certain kinds of divers and go to sites appropriate to their clientele. Cozumel is a good example of this--you will never get Columbia Deep with a skilled group and good bottom time with many of the ops. I am hoping to avoid that problem--if it exists--here.

trilogy has had a new dive program on their Trilogy III vessel for the last 4 years.
18 divers max. on a 60 ft. boat with a 32 ft. beam...plenty of room.
aloha from maui

We just finsihed a trip to maui and i would recommend Extended Horizons.. Maron, Chris and Capt Dave were awesome and really know their stuff. The boat did not seem crowded at all. We dived at 1st & 2nd cathedral, plus some other exceptional places. In three days we had six different dive locations. More experienced divers had some freedom while less experienced divers were well monitored by the dive team.

kk

We were just in Maui and went to Lanai with Lahaina Divers. We thought that the crew was excellent but would not go with them again as there were far too many divers on the boat (close to 25). Plus, there was a slight current at the Second Cathedral which freaked out some of the less experienced divers and made hanging onto the mooring line during the safety stop nearly impossible (imagine 20 or so divers trying to hang on to 5 feet of line). I can't vouch for Extended Horizons but I will definitely try them next time.

We've been to Maui a few times and stayed twice in Kanaapali. If you are going to Molokini I would still go with the Kihei boat ops--we've used Mike Severns and have been very happy with them. We've also gone with Extended Horizons to Lanai for the Cathedrals, would highly recommend them as well. We have been on the Trilogy trip and wouldn't recommend it as a diving boat (assuming you're going on the Lanai sail/snorkel trip with the option for "scuba upgrade"). We did that trip a long time ago because we hadn't been diving for a while and wanted a shallow refresher dive. It was fun for the sailing and a nice beach to hang out on, but they take you on a one-tanker from that beach and there was a bunch of sand to see but not much else. Might be an OK option if your non-diving wife goes with you though. Finally, you should definitely try Black Rock-you can rent a tank (and guide if needed) at the Sheraton--relatively expensive, small AL-63 tanks, mediocre equipment, but the convenience of not having to lug tanks around is worth it in my opinion. We wanted to try a night dive there but didn't have a chance to yet.

Back
Top Bottom