Just wondering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdb:
Just wondering if anyone from the board was going to be at vortex the 24th and 25th. A few of us are going to try to make a weekend of it, practice skills and just get wet.

Can be. Its not far for me....

That is, if I don't do the Crystal River thing.

Do you have overhead training/experience? The cavern/cave is quite cool, but not to be trifled with. I like diving in it and do so solo in there, but won't do a "trust me" dive there....

Let me know if you're coming down - I'll see what I can do about getting there.

This is hilarious!!! I can just see it.

Redneck Riviera?? You guys are funny.

Anyway, I went to Vortex a couple of weeks ago, but I stayed in Vernon. Little town just a few miles down. Just a 15-20 minutes drive from Vortex. The are a few reasonably priced hotels in the area and more options as far as restaurants, etc.

Vortex is very crowded during the weekends (I did not see Ketchup bottle killing red necks,however) and like Inter Alia said, the visibility is relative to how early you get there or how many divers are in the water. Water temp is constant, but if you go now, prepare to be very cold while out of the water. The wind is brutal. Not a bad dive overall.

For those of you going to Crystal River, see ya there. Only a few days away. Whohoo!!

neophytediver:
It was around Memorial Day last year. A group of us that work/volunteer at the UAT made our annual trip to Panama City to dive. We elected to stay at Vortex, dive at Morrison Springs one day, dive in PC the next, then ride home. In all we stayed at Vortex for 4 days and 3 nights. We'd booked one of the bunkhouses, arrived, unpacked, and proceeded to veg. It was nice and quiet when we arrived. We were the only ones there. The next morning we awoke, gather our gear, left the kids behind, and headed to Morrison. Two great dives and about 4 hours later, we return.

It was like we'd died and gone to "Deliverance". Now I was born in Alabama, but not raised here, but I have lived here off and on, and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen that many barefoot, shirtless, potbellied, four-wheeler riding kids with Confederate flag bandanas in my life! The bunkhouse next door was taken over by a family that we realized not only contained the Hatfields, but also the McCoys. From what the kids that stayed behind told us, our new found neighboors arrived about an hour after we'd left, and sat up their recreation of the infield at Talladega. About that same time they started boozing it up.

Well, we had to go to Panama City to drop of tanks for the dives the following morning, so we all loaded up and left one person behind to watch our stuff. After we'd dropped off the tanks, snorkeled a bit, and grabbed a couple of buckets of KFC, we headed back. The Hatfields, or maybe it was the McCoys, had started burning all kinds of animal parts. Apon seeing us eating the Colonels finest, the patriarch of the clan proceeded to yell at us in all his drunkeness for eating that. He proceeded to offer all of us some of his chicken instead. It was good, but we weren't interested.

The night progressed, we talked amongst ourselves, they got drunker and drunker. Sometime around 1am a woman came running out of their bunkhouse crying and clutching a child. Thirty seconds or so after that, the whirling ball of redneck came crashing out of the door. Apparently the the McCoy (or was he a Hatfield?) with most teeth proceeded to beat his wife (the crying woman) and the rest of the clan proceeded to beat the crap out of him. This went on for the next half an hour or so, and at one point one of the Hatfields/McCoys grabbed a plastic Hunts ketchup bottle and threatened to kill the other MCoy/Hatfield with it. The patriarch arrived, got his licks in on the guy, and expeled him from the clan.

Next morning Ii awoke to the smell of bacon and was looking forward to having some. In hindsight maybe it wasn't a good idea to expect a drunk to remember offering you breakfast, but no matter. Ain't nothing finer than cold KFC. But, whilst eating my piece of Kentucky's finest, whom do I spy cooking the bacon? The same man nearly killed by a plastic Hunts ketchup bottle from the night before. Apparently once the booze had worn off all was forgiven.

The rest of our trip held little excitement from them. No more crying, pink tube top wearing, bafefoot women. No more toothless threats to kill each other with condiments. They stayed pretty much drunk, and we high tailed it home as soon as possible.

Now I know this has been a long tale, and what is my point you ask? It is this, this is not an isolated incident. Apparently what used to be a safe haven for divers, has now become a repository for redneck rage. The folks at the dive shop have said this, and other divers have said this. My advice if you're going, go for the day and consider staying somewhere else.

While I am very familiar with the "Redneck Riviera," I feel that this monicer is a little misleading. While one need only visit Vortex one mildy warm weekend to see what I speak of, I've found that Panama City, et. al., is a far better place to go.

Most of the good springs are withing an hour or two drive, good diving offshore proper, and decent places to stay. The best in my opinion is the Aqua View Dive Inn located next door to PCDC. The trick to PCB is to stay as close to St. Andrews State Park as possible. The crowds and the Rednecks tend to congregate farther west along the beach and that end stays relatively peaceful.

Of course you have to realize that we Southerners can not seem to keep the most ingnorant amongst us from breeding, so encounters with Homoredneckicus is inevitable. One need only avoid the places they seem to find amusing, keep your heads down in the water, and run like hell everytime you see one in a #3 hat. :evil:

Of course you have to realize that we Southerners can not seem to keep the most ingnorant amongst us from breeding, so encounters with Homoredneckicus is inevitable. One need only avoid the places they seem to find amusing, keep your heads down in the water, and run like hell everytime you see one in a #3 hat.

Yes, breeding is the problem. You know they've tried to administer birth control to overpopulated wildlife by dropping BC pellets from planes. It's had limited success due to the cautious nature of the animals. Rednecks on the other hand would have no problem eating pellets off the ground after a few Falstaffs.

Neophyte and Divebomb,
yes, and nevermind that the Supreme Court has said breeding is a fundamental right but education is not... see a pattern here? "Homoredneckicus" certainly has too much of one of these activities and not enough of the other... and he wouldn't like being called "homo"-anything would he.
All in good fun, I still say Vortex is worth a go-see during the week or on cold weekends. Panama City isn't bad, either, but sometimes I'd rather just hoof it to West Palm Beach than go in the Gulf again. Black Bart! Not again! Ahrg!

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom