Just took SDI Solo Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Last Friday I took the SDI Solo Course with Tammy Storm (tstorm on the forum) out of Owensboro, KY, who came down to teach the class at Pennyroyal Blue Spring Resort in Hopkinsville, KY (and thanks to PBSR for connecting me with her).

It was a good course & she did a fine job; lots of emphasis on practical aspects, including some equipment options and varied things that can go wrong; she made it relevant. I enjoyed it and I'm posting to share some thoughts for people who may be considering the course like I was.

1.) I think it increases mental preparedness for diving in general, by training you to consider the varied things that can go wrong & how to deal with them. That's what I valued most from my PADI Rescue Diver training last year (the 'stop, think, act' approach to a problem), and the SDI Solo Diver course similarly encourages that line of thinking.

2.) The skills on dives can show you some weaknesses (at least if you have some, and I do).

3.) This cert. opens up for me the option of solo diving at the quarry, where I can potentially work on my weak areas (e.g.: navigation & buoyancy together) without trying to drag unwilling (e.g.: wife) or unable (e.g.: friend in medical school) along with me and tie up half or more of their Saturday watching me try to practice skills.

Anyway, it's a good course for people who want to dive solo, and even for people who don't, and I was really happy to have Tammy for my instructor.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does the quarry not allow you to dive solo without this cert?

Nice write up. I have become a strong advocate for takeing any class above your current dive grade, if for no other reason than getting someone who is "squared away" to point out our weaknesses.
Eric

The SDI solo course is an excellent way to look at what one needs to work on. I have trained with the primary author of the course and got my SDI Solo cert from one of the photographers featured in it. I still have a couple things to do before I am able to offer it.

The SDI Solo Student manual is something that should be in every OW diver's library. Even if you don't plan on taking the course. It is a great reference.

Ulfhedinn:

In Bonaire this week so not getting around to the forum as much as usual. Yes, Pennyroyal Blue Springs resort in Hopkinsville, KY, requires solo divers be certified for solo and present a dive plan for their solo dives when they check in (that way if you don't turn up, they know where to start looking for the body, I suppose).

I've got a buddy in medical school on Bonaire (they do their first 1 year & 4 months on the island, then head to the U.S. for clinicals) and I thought he might be tied up part of the time doing research. Instead turns out he's free this week so we've been diving together. Even picked up a 3'rd diver part of the time (a non-diving classmate's spouse). Good times.

I don't plan to dive solo all the time, but it's great to know it's an option when I want it.

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey drrich2,

Thanks for your report. I have attained the 100 dive minimum prerequisite for the SDI Solo Cert class. I am definately going to take the class. I researched the PADI "self-reliant diver" and found it lacking.

Have you read about or investigated SDI's "Trimix for Recreational Divers" class? If so, what do you think?

SDI/TDI is the cert agency of choice for me from now on. They don't seem to suffer from "group think" like some other agencies. SDI/TDI was on the leading edge in the Nitrox battle, the Tech battle, the Solo Diver battle, and now Trimix for rec divers. Recreational diving is much safer because of SDI/TDI.

Thanks,

markm

---------- Post Merged at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:13 AM ----------

The SDI solo course is an excellent way to look at what one needs to work on. I have trained with the primary author of the course and got my SDI Solo cert from one of the photographers featured in it. I still have a couple things to do before I am able to offer it.

The SDI Solo Student manual is something that should be in every OW diver's library. Even if you don't plan on taking the course. It is a great reference.

Hello Jim,

I don't have the manual yet; however, I "felt" that this may be a good long term resource. You have confirmed my gut feeling. I can't wait to dive into this class.

markm

Wish I could take the course from your teacher. I've studied the SDI Solo Diving Manual thoroughly and have logged about 134 solo dives. I SO want to take the course and get the card. My LDS doesn't like to issue this achievement no matter how many dives and no matter what your experience.

Have you read about or investigated SDI's "Trimix for Recreational Divers" class? If so, what do you think?

I hadn't heard of it till you mentioned it. I do dive nitrox when shore diving Bonaire, and the option for one more tool in the toolbox sounds nice. I've not gotten into technical diving; seems like too much work!

Richard.

Trimix in any form now is also expensive unless you have a rebreather. No sense in doing mix with single tanks. Depending on where you get it a mix fill in say double LP85's which are normally what I like to dive can run as much as a dollar or more per cu ft depending on the mix. Fill express has normoxic 21/35 premix for .36 cents per cu ft which is a nice mix and that's a good price compared to some places. But if I get a good fill and am getting 170 cu ft of it the price is still 61.00 just for the gas for what may be one dive. One great dive, but still one dive. I've personally paid as much as 80.00 for a tri mix fill to do one wreck. Plus 95.00 for the boat ride. Plus 40.00 in gasoline for the drive to the dock. Plus meals. And one dive ended up costing me well over 200 bucks for 25 minutes on the wreck, and the rest of the time (35 minutes or so) on deco.

I advocate the introduction of helium as soon as the divers skill set warrants it. Exdcellant bouancy control and the disepline to make a plan and follow te plan. At the rec trimix level I think the speeed limit is 20% helium in the mix and 10 minutes of deco?? That really opens up possbilities for divers wanting more in the 100-130 fsw range, plus gives them good skills to move forward if they choose to go closer to the edge.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom