Just took SDI Solo Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have looked at the training manuals for Trimix from SDI /TDI as well as other materials for other agencies.
I have used SDI for most of my Tech certs and am at the Trimix table now.
As Jim has mentioned the cost is getting rather intense for a family man with two kids.
If current trends "Helium" continue all of us who aspire for deeper longer dives past 150' are going to have to look at the rebreather.
Just a simple fact.

I choose to embrace the technology and have been researching it for about 2-3 months seriously.
Before I have dove around a few units.
The Solo / self rescue mindset is a serious step into ANY diving regardless the title of REC or TEC.
There are dives that will stretch you skill wise and then there are dives that will kill you if you can not deal with the unforeseen failures.
Single, doubles, CCR, it matters not the dive planning of a particular dive can make or break you!
Conservatism and honset evaluation of ones skills can help temper dive plans to make them safer.

I have sound that day to day I can change either mentally or physically and the dive changes as well.
Some days I do very easy dives then I can plan and execute a challenging dive but I just choose not to push it to the edge.
Solo is a awesome class but I find diving Solo with a like minded buddy to be a lot of fun.
Yes I do dive solo at the quarry, in the Great Lakes, and on occasion in a cave somewhere.
My true solo dives are very conservative.

CamG

I researched the PADI "self-reliant diver" and found it lacking.
I am interested in what a potential solo diving student would look for in their training, and find 'lacking' in the PADI SRD course. I am not disputing your statement at all, rather very interested in better understanding the statement, so I can evaluate what content may be missing and needs to be added in the SRD course.

I have a copy of the SDI course book, and the course content. I recently worked with a tec student who previously did the SDI solo course and had the opportunity to discuss his experience in the course. So, I have some, but certainly not extensive, familiarity with that course. But, I am genuinely interested in better understanding what may be missing, from the perspective of a potential student.

I'm genuinely interested also. I've been doing solo diving without any formal training and I'll probably read the SDI Solo Diver manual next. At some point I'll probably want to take a class and I want to make sure I pick a good instructor / agency.

I'm genuinely interested also. I've been doing solo diving without any formal training and I'll probably read the SDI Solo Diver manual next. At some point I'll probably want to take a class and I want to make sure I pick a good instructor / agency.

Booth Divers | Welcome to Booth Divers. We Love to Dive, and it Shows!

The class & books is not expensive and is well worth the time & minimal expense. I did the solo course with Matt on Robert's boat & would not hesitate to recommend him.

Hi Jim,

Trimix is expensive.

My strategy for my avocations is simple. This simple strategy is based on the fact that I don't get to perform my avocations regularly. I am a person of moderate means.

Avocational Strategy for MarkM: Save, plan, and prepare all year for my avocational expeditions; while on expeditoin, spend whatever I need to accomplish my goals as long as I stay within my budget for the avocation.

This means that I will save all year in order to dive special places, with nitrox, with trimix, special gear, or with expert guides.

Yeah, trimix is expensive. However, a $50 trimix charge may make my dive at Vertigo (St. Croix) a better dive experience, which makes the cost of trimix inexpensive.

markm

---------- Post Merged at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I am interested in what a potential solo diving student would look for in their training, and find 'lacking' in the PADI SRD course. I am not disputing your statement at all, rather very interested in better understanding the statement, so I can evaluate what content may be missing and needs to be added in the SRD course.

I have a copy of the SDI course book, and the course content. I recently worked with a tec student who previously did the SDI solo course and had the opportunity to discuss his experience in the course. So, I have some, but certainly not extensive, familiarity with that course. But, I am genuinely interested in better understanding what may be missing, from the perspective of a potential student.

Hello Colliam,

Unless the PADI guidelines have changed, the PADI cert card states that a holder of the card is self-reliant in the buddy system. It does not clearly state that a diver is qualified as a Solo Diver.

What good is that?

I have PADI cert cards. I am not a fan of their protocols. SDI/TDI is not perfect either. They seem to be more realistic.

Bottom line: I am prejudiced against PADI and what they have taught me and some of my dive friends.

Yeah, it is MY PROBLEM. And probably not your problem.

markm

Unless the PADI guidelines have changed, the PADI cert card states that a holder of the card is self-reliant in the buddy system. It does not clearly state that a diver is qualified as a Solo Diver.

What good is that?
Hi markmud,

I'm curious about this. Could you provide the exact wording on your PADI Self-Reliant c-card?

thanks,

k

Bottom line: I am prejudiced against PADI and what they have taught me and some of my dive friends.
Fair enough. That is your right and privilege. To paraphrase Voltaire (or what people seem to think he said, even if he didn't), 'I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.' Actually, I don't disapprove of what you say :) - it is your experience and opinion and you have every right to say it.
Unless the PADI guidelines have changed, the PADI cert card states that a holder of the card is self-reliant in the buddy system. It does not clearly state that a diver is qualified as a Solo Diver. What good is that?
OK, so what you found lacking was the card? Thanks for clarifying.

For purposes of this thread, I may be able to offer some further clarification. The only 'guidelines' in place that I am aware of are reflected in the Self-Reliant Diver Distinctive Specialty Course Instructor Guide (IG). And, that document has not changed since the course was introduced (almost) two years ago, in January 2011. The only SRD certification cards I have ever seen specify that the certification is 'Self-Reliant Diver'. You are right - it does not say 'Solo Diver'. However, unless there are some odd SRD cards out there somewhere, I am not aware the card says anything about the certification to be self-reliant in the buddy system. In fact, on the first page of that Guide, the first of the two reasons stated for divers to take the course is, 'To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.' I have not found a problem with a dive operation misunderstanding the card, or seeing it as something different from a solo diver certification. But, that may just be my experience. I have found that, irrespective of whatever credential I may hold, there are some places where solo diving is not allowed, period. Frustrating, but reality.

Where you may have misunderstood the course focus is in the active emphasis on the importance of the buddy system that permeates the text of the Instructor Guide. PADI obviously believes in the value of the buddy system as a primary diving style, the IG states that 'The PADI System of diver education trains divers to use the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and dive safety', and the second reason stated in the IG for divers to take the course is, 'To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.' But, even with those points of emphasis, the course focus is clearly on making divers self-reliant, whether they dive alone or as part of a team.

The only (PADI) cards I’ve seen said just Self-Reliant Diver (if memory serves).
I did a comparison of the standards for the PADI SR course and the SDI Solo course at this post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...di-lacking-solo-diver-course.html#post5912881

The only things I see lacking in the PADI course are:
-No manual.
-They don’t use the word “Solo”.

Fair enough. That is your right and privilege. To paraphrase Voltaire (or what people seem to think he said, even if he didn't), 'I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.' Actually, I don't disapprove of what you say :) - it is your experience and opinion and you have every right to say it. OK, so what you found lacking was the card? Thanks for clarifying.

For purposes of this thread, I may be able to offer some further clarification. The only 'guidelines' in place that I am aware of are reflected in the Self-Reliant Diver Distinctive Specialty Course Instructor Guide (IG). And, that document has not changed since the course was introduced (almost) two years ago, in January 2011. The only SRD certification cards I have ever seen specify that the certification is 'Self-Reliant Diver'. You are right - it does not say 'Solo Diver'. However, unless there are some odd SRD cards out there somewhere, I am not aware the card says anything about the certification to be self-reliant in the buddy system. In fact, on the first page of that Guide, the first of the two reasons stated for divers to take the course is, 'To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.' I have not found a problem with a dive operation misunderstanding the card, or seeing it as something different from a solo diver certification. But, that may just be my experience. I have found that, irrespective of whatever credential I may hold, there are some places where solo diving is not allowed, period. Frustrating, but reality.

Where you may have misunderstood the course focus is in the active emphasis on the importance of the buddy system that permeates the text of the Instructor Guide. PADI obviously believes in the value of the buddy system as a primary diving style, the IG states that 'The PADI System of diver education trains divers to use the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and dive safety', and the second reason stated in the IG for divers to take the course is, 'To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.' But, even with those points of emphasis, the course focus is clearly on making divers self-reliant, whether they dive alone or as part of a team.

Thanks Colliam for your response:

We may want to make a deal here (if you are willing).

I want to get a Solo Cert. I want a Solo Cert that is explicit. Occasionally, I like to dive Solo off a dive boat. Previously, the boat captain and divemaster reviewed my dive plan and approved it. On some boats, the operator emphatically did not allow my Solo dive. My solo dives consisted of a "micro dive" where I scoured every nook and cranny under the boat and did not dive below 60'. These Solo dives were fun. The Captain saw my bubbles and knew where I was at all times.

If I can arrange a trip to NC that is within my budget and time allowance, will you PADI certify me with the Self Reliant Card (if I pass the course), AND write a letter with multiple wet-signed copies, that states I am a qualified Solo Diver? You can add some caveats, like: The captain and divemaster must approve my dive plan, or something similar, to the letter.

I will take a Solo Diver course. Some document had better state that I am a Solo quailified diver.

Thanks,

markm

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 06:26 AM ----------

The only (PADI) cards I’ve seen said just Self-Reliant Diver (if memory serves).
I did a comparison of the standards for the PADI SR course and the SDI Solo course at this post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...di-lacking-solo-diver-course.html#post5912881

The only things I see lacking in the PADI course are:
-No manual.
-They don’t use the word “Solo”.

Thanks knotical,

I have formed my opinion by interviewing two PADI instructors regarding the Self Reliant Diver program.

They were wishy-washy on the subject of Solo diving v. self-reliant in the buddy system.

markm

markm

Back
Top Bottom