Just Tell Me What To Buy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure this is confusing the hell out of you... I haven't dove any of the regs you list (however, I have an Apeks XTX50, and I understand it's a Legend Clone -- and it's FABULOUS).

Just as info, the Legend is a clone of the ATX 200 & came about after Liquid Air, the owner of AL etc. bought out Apeks.

Just as info, the Legend is a clone of the ATX 200 & came about after Liquid Air, the owner of AL etc. bought out Apeks.
Thanks for the correction, Kern...

I'd been talking to an LDS employee whom recently switched from the Apeks XTX50 to the Legend (he's involved with classes, and the Legend is part of the "uniform" the LDS requires). When I bought the XTX50, he mentioned he used to dive that model, however, the Legend was a 'clone,' and he couldn't tell the difference.

The main specifications (on the 2nd stages) seem relatively similar: adjustable cracking pressure; adjustable venturi; switchable inlet and venturi, etc. I don't know the finer points of the Apeks, however, I'm more than satisfied with its performance (and I'm a hardcore Atomic fan...).

Thanks for the correction, Kern...

I'd been talking to an LDS employee whom recently switched from the Apeks XTX50 to the Legend (he's involved with classes, and the Legend is part of the "uniform" the LDS requires). When I bought the XTX50, he mentioned he used to dive that model, however, the Legend was a 'clone,' and he couldn't tell the difference.

The main specifications (on the 2nd stages) seem relatively similar: adjustable cracking pressure; adjustable venturi; switchable inlet and venturi, etc. I don't know the finer points of the Apeks, however, I'm more than satisfied with its performance (and I'm a hardcore Atomic fan...).

A bit more info. The second stage of the Apeks 50, 100 & 200 are exactly the same. The inner workings of the 1st stage of all 3 are almost the same. The 200 1st has a replaceable ARCAP seat, it's a little smaller & the innards are upside down compared to the 50 & 100. The 100 & 200 have a little better hose routing for doubles but I don't think it's a big enough difference to go past the 50 all things considered.

I understand the legend has some modifications to the A/XTX but is still pretty much the same reg, both 1st & 2nd stage. Basically all 3 Apeks regs & the Legend are a petty close call. Factor in the cost difference between the 50 & the rest & the 50 is a great deal.

Of course the real problem with all of these regs is that they are products of the evil AL empire.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up going with the Blizzard. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and the price was unbeatable.

If I had an unlimited income I would get an Atomic, but like others have said they are over priced. I sort of feel like boycotting Aqualung, Scubapro, Atomic, etc. that has diver un-friendly policies of not allowing sales through the internet. Come on, it is the 21st century. The MK17 does look nice though and certainly could have been on my list.

It was hard not ordering the Delta 4, but the closest service center is about 2 - 3 hours away.

I really think the dive rite might be the best regulator for me, and when it gets to the point where I feel like I need a new toy, it might be one of those :)

Thanks again for the help :)

Most companies allow sales through the internet, as long as you sell it for what they say, MARP or whatever. They take issue with places like leisure pro selling new items for submarket prices, and with dealers reselling to LP and thus violating their dealer agreement.

Does leisurepro.com still sell ScubaPro. I visit the site to get an overview of what I'll buy... I dont buy from them since they dont want to use nothing else but UPS.(wich is a pain to handle at the customs).

But I noticed they havent had any ScubaPro saying (IN STOCK) for a LONG LONG time.

Maybe ScubaPro made a squeeze somewhere? XD

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Blizzard is a good reliable reg and will do well in cold water,its not a smoothe breather like the Delta 4 or the Scubapro G250v , but it is comparable with most Mid to high end regs , a good reg.
Now you can Dive in Anartica:confused:

I ended up going with the Blizzard. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and the price was unbeatable.

If I had an unlimited income I would get an Atomic, but like others have said they are over priced. I sort of feel like boycotting Aqualung, Scubapro, Atomic, etc. that has diver un-friendly policies of not allowing sales through the internet. Come on, it is the 21st century. The MK17 does look nice though and certainly could have been on my list.

It was hard not ordering the Delta 4, but the closest service center is about 2 - 3 hours away.

I really think the dive rite might be the best regulator for me, and when it gets to the point where I feel like I need a new toy, it might be one of those :)

Thanks again for the help :)

Good Luck:D

Haha, I don't think I will be diving in Antarctica, but living in Maine... I will probably end up taking an ice diving class :)

Antarctica... brrrr.

Well Sherwood are workhorses. They are solid regs that won't let you down. Most LDS rent out Sherwood because they know they are easily repairable and the last a long time.
Hope you're happy with your reg.

Shoot, I wanted something finicky that would that snap in two if taken to 100 feet. :p I am pretty excited, I get to try it out this evening!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom