JUst so SCUBABOARD.COM knows , he still is at it unethical behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As one of the admins on our Facebook page, I thought I might add some background and maybe help explain why some people in the Philippines are not happy right now. I realize that for some people it really doesn't matter, but others may be curious. It's really ancient history as far as scubaboard is concerned going back almost 12 years ago... a lifetime on the web :wink: Of course I'm also here to encourage people to visit us on Facebook and join our group :D I'll add a link here at the beginning:
Philippine Paradise Divers

This is where it started for us so of course we want to talk about our connection to scubaboard :wink: On Facebook we've been encouraging people to visit the PPD forum here and for those who visit the Philippines to write about it here and link back to the Facebook page. I've been using the www.philippineparadisedivers.com link all week from our Facebook page to point people here so I was quite happy to see that it was working :D

The issues with the other PPD on Facebook are pretty well explained I think in the links that have already been posted so no reason to go over those again :)

Our page experienced a bit of growth here and there but since no one was building a business are hoping to make money eventually I think little by little people just drifted away and became involved with their own projects. Life gets in the way sometimes. Our page was still to small and so growth was very flat.

So this brings us too the present and what got people upset again. It has been reported that the owner of the other Facebook page has been representing himself as the "creator" of Philippine Paradise Divers, and his group as "The Voice of the Philippines Dive Community©" (yes he is showing a copyright symbol on the phrase) and it's annoyed people who know that he didn't come up with the Philippine Paradise Divers name and are familiar with his history. Last week PHIDEX, the first dive expo to be sponsored by the Philippines Department of Tourism was held. He used the page and it's large following as a means to wangle an invitation to speak at PHIDEX. A number of dive operators who showed up at PHIDEX and found him there were shocked, having had a less than positive experience when he visited their dive operations :mad: These dive operators have complained to DOT about him being there and word is starting to spread around :letsparty: Other people in the dive community in the Philippines who know about him and his reputation are also annoyed. Because of his history they see him as a poor representative of the Philippines dive community. Of course with so many followers there are lot's of people who don't have a problem because all they know about him is what he tells them. I certainly don't blame them. There is a tendency for many people to trust until given a reason not too. There are a lot of people who won't know anything about this guy for the simple fact that it just doesn't come up in conversation. PHIDEX started a lot of conversations.

We are in a sense, re-activating the Facebook page after a long period of inactivity. I'm here to encourage all of you reading this to take a look at our Facebook page (and when I say "our" I mean this sub-forum here on scubaboard because the page was started for this group). It's true that the name has been used different places around the web, but the first use of the name we're aware of, was here on scubaboard back in 2004.

Now is a great time to get involved. As I write this we've grown a 150% in the last 5 days. Engagement on the page has gone from almost nil to 2300 plus comments, posts, and reactions since Sunday. There is a lot of buzz right now and it's looking promising. I expect that the growth rate will slow down but I think we have a chance to grow a respectable group this time. To do that we need participation by the members. We need participation by all of you!

For those of you who have visited us and joined already, thank you and welcome! If not, I hope that all of you who have taken the time to read this will visit our Facebook page and join the group :) I will look forward to welcoming you there :coffee: Philippine Paradise Divers

Isn't it always??? :D
It is! :)

Sometimes it's good to remind people though :eyebrow:

It is! :)

Sometimes it's good to remind people though :eyebrow:
It's always a good time to remind others! Great job, post often and have fun.

I've been to the Philippines a number of times, and will be going back.
But I think I'll just avoid both those Facebook pages....I see no added value and only stress.

I've been to the Philippines a number of times, and will be going back.
But I think I'll just avoid both those Facebook pages....I see no added value and only stress.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to discuss that :) As far as stress is concerned, I can see where that impression could be given. The title of the thread kind of gives away the fact that there are people who don't care for the owner of the other Facebook page :wink: Having said that, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts in the thread, it's ancient history. We prefer to focus on the positive :) We've only addressed this issue here because it was brought up. It was felt that there needed to be a response and an attempt made to put things in perspective. If I did a poor job of that then that is on me. The Admins work hard to keep the group on track and create an atmosphere where everyone feels welcome.

To be clear, the Philippine Paradise Divers Facebook page we are talking about now is the one that was started for members of the forum we are in now! We have very simple goals and that is to make the page a welcoming place for everyone who loves or has an interest in the Philippines :) It's a place that people can share or see posts about the Philippines and things that are of interest to those people. I do not believe there has been any stress for anyone there, but you would have to visit to know if that is true or not :)

I believe that the page will have value to a lot of people. For instance, there are people out there who are thinking about visiting the Philippines. Maybe they saw a website or read an article or heard about the great diving there from a friend. Some of those people find ScubaBoard. Some of them will find us on Facebook. I think we can be of help to those people. 57% of the membership of the Facebook group are in the Philippines right now. Sometimes there are questions that can be best answered by someone that is there right now, wouldn't you agree? In the remaining 43% are people who have traveled to the Philippines many times. Others maybe less. Some are just dreaming about it like some of us used to do before we actually went :)

Facebook is a much different entity than ScubaBoard. For one thing it's much more visual. There is also a tendency to share interesting things that we come across, much as a friend might ask, " Have you seen this"? :) A few examples of recent posts that have been made would include Green Fins, the International Coastal Cleanup, an article on thresher shark research conducted at Monad Shoal in Malapascua, the upcoming Miss Scuba Philippines pageant, and photos and mini-reports of visits to different destinations in the Philippines... things that a lot of divers and people who are interested in the Philippines are enjoying. I also suspect that there are a lot of people who just come to look at the pretty pictures :wink: We see a lot of members who are very supportive of each other by commenting, reacting, and responding to the posts that are made. We're experiencing tremendous growth right now and it's quickly becoming a real community!

The numbers tell the story. When we went active again on September 21st our membership was only 311. As I write this just 11 days later membership is up 215% to 981. Engagement on our page is through the roof. Engagement is measured by the number of Posts, comments, and reactions. That number is close to 4000 in the last week alone!

Based on your post count you are a person who has given a lot of their time in helping others. I was once a person who needed help and there were people like you here on ScubaBoard who helped me. Those same people who helped me are the ones who started our Facebook group. I think all of us who are involved with the group share a desire to give back and to help others. I genuinely hope that you will reconsider, but I wish you well either way. I'm always happy to chat or answer questions either here or by PM. Thank you for taking the time to read :coffee:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to discuss that :) As far as stress is concerned, I can see where that impression could be given. The title of the thread kind of gives away the fact that there are people who don't care for the owner of the other Facebook page :wink: Having said that, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts in the thread, it's ancient history. We prefer to focus on the positive :) We've only addressed this issue here because it was brought up. It was felt that there needed to be a response and an attempt made to put things in perspective. If I did a poor job of that then that is on me. The Admins work hard to keep the group on track and create an atmosphere where everyone feels welcome.

To be clear, the Philippine Paradise Divers Facebook page we are talking about now is the one that was started for members of the forum we are in now! We have very simple goals and that is to make the page a welcoming place for everyone who loves or has an interest in the Philippines :) It's a place that people can share or see posts about the Philippines and things that are of interest to those people. I do not believe there has been any stress for anyone there, but you would have to visit to know if that is true or not :)

I believe that the page will have value to a lot of people. For instance, there are people out there who are thinking about visiting the Philippines. Maybe they saw a website or read an article or heard about the great diving there from a friend. Some of those people find ScubaBoard. Some of them will find us on Facebook. I think we can be of help to those people. 57% of the membership of the Facebook group are in the Philippines right now. Sometimes there are questions that can be best answered by someone that is there right now, wouldn't you agree? In the remaining 43% are people who have traveled to the Philippines many times. Others maybe less. Some are just dreaming about it like some of us used to do before we actually went :)

Facebook is a much different entity than ScubaBoard. For one thing it's much more visual. There is also a tendency to share interesting things that we come across, much as a friend might ask, " Have you seen this"? :) A few examples of recent posts that have been made would include Green Fins, the International Coastal Cleanup, an article on thresher shark research conducted at Monad Shoal in Malapascua, the upcoming Miss Scuba Philippines pageant, and photos and mini-reports of visits to different destinations in the Philippines... things that a lot of divers and people who are interested in the Philippines are enjoying. I also suspect that there are a lot of people who just come to look at the pretty pictures :wink: We see a lot of members who are very supportive of each other by commenting, reacting, and responding to the posts that are made. We're experiencing tremendous growth right now it's quickly becoming a real community!

The numbers tell the story. When we went active again on September 21st our membership was only 311. As I write this just 11 days later membership is up 215% to 981. Engagement on our page is through the roof. Engagement is measured by the number of Posts, comments, and reactions. That number is close to 4000 in the last week alone!

Based on your post count you are a person who has given a lot of their time in helping others. I was once a person who needed help and there were people like you here on ScubaBoard who helped me. Those same people who helped me are the ones who started our Facebook group. I think all of us who are involved with the group share a desire to give back and to help others. I genuinely hope that you will reconsider, but I wish you well either way. I'm always happy to chat or answer questions either here or by PM. Thank you for taking the time to read :coffee:
Thanks for taking the time to type up these 2 posts, Bill! Turns out I've been in the 'wrong' group all this time. :wink: (Haven't been in the PI in over 5 yrs, unfortunately, and was not aware of Mr DA's story at all until now.)

No worries... I think a lot of people were confused by the name :D I've been to the PI twice this year and headed back in December.... helps that I'm back to being a 4 hour flight away :wink:

" I'm Brian ! And so'es my wife !" :wink: k

No worries... I think a lot of people were confused by the name :D I've been to the PI twice this year and headed back in December.... helps that I'm back to being a 4 hour flight away :wink:
Ugh, I can't even get to Florida in 4 hrs. You live like a king...

Back
Top Bottom