Just signed up for my 1st dive class! Advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't go too large on equipment at the beginning because you don't know what you don't know yet.

Buying mask, fins and snorkel should be OK, they're not really big ticket items and the advice above is good.

The second hand market is full of barely used gear from folks who bought it all then didn't dive! Which is very good for those that do...

Best advice here.
Start your class, see what the instructor gives you to try. Learn from the classes what´s good, what's not. Make an instructed decision. There is always time to buy with better background.

If u can try them out. But depends on exposure protection. I dive in cold water with a drysuit. So I went with hollis f1 to fit my rock boots and to keep my feet down without ankle weights. But for sure spring heal is way better. Whatever u choose choose it for yourself not because others own it.

I have used the Sea Wing Nova. I really like it. It is light. It gives good power. And it is easy to back up with them.

I don’t use them now because I broke 2 pair. I am a photographer and I am very strong swimmer. Photographers often work a subject and then have to swim rapidly to catch the group.

If you can, see if your dive shop will let you try them out.

Welcome to scuba board! See if you can rent different types so you can try before you buy. Like shoes, some fins take a bit to get used to. I have a range of finds and really happy with my Scuba Pro Nova fins.
Thanks, I actually asked the shop if there was anyway I could try them first. So hopefully.

Don't go too large on equipment at the beginning because you don't know what you don't know yet.

Buying mask, fins and snorkel should be OK, they're not really big ticket items and the advice above is good.

The second hand market is full of barely used gear from folks who bought it all then didn't dive! Which is very good for those that do...
Is there a second hand market you’d recommend?

Best advice here.
Start your class, see what the instructor gives you to try. Learn from the classes what´s good, what's not. Make an instructed decision. There is always time to buy with better background.
Yeah, I just asked the shop if there was anyway to try the fins in class, waiting on reply. I have a mask and snorkel I’ve used for snorkeling but they said my snorkel fins wouldn’t do and they want us to have fins for the training.

But they seem pretty chill so hopefully they’ll let me try them in the pool training and then get my own for the open water training.

Rent if you can for the course. Negotiate an all inclusive plan, if available. One recommendation is buy fins with open heel straps and a boot. Stay away from the closed heels/no boots. I have a lot of ScubaPro gear but have Mares Avanti fins for the past 4 years and they are good. Oh yes, make sure you find good fitting boots with the fins, don't buy them separately. Hope this helps.

Rent if you can for the course. Negotiate and all inclusive plan, if available. One recommendation is buy fins with open heel straps and a boot. Stay away from the closed heels/no boots. I have a lot of ScubaPro gear but have Mares Avanti fins for the past 4 years and they are good. Oh yes, make sure you find good fitting boots with the fins, don't buy them separately. Hope this helps.
I’m definitely planning to buy boots with the fins and together. Looking at reviews the bungee cord strap seems to be really good. I’ll also look into an all inclusive plan! Thanks for the advice!

... Here's the thing. People will give you lots of advice about what to buy. Much of it comes down to personal preference. It doesn't matter what works for him or what works for me. What matters is what works for you. If at all possible, try before you buy. You'll save yourself lots of frustration and money in the long run.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

What he said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom