Just Say No to Force Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, another fin testing group called us yesterday /...so this message goes to my friend in the U.K./////> Mr. Mark Evans, of Sport Diver Magazine. Please do not use our Trade Mark Name " Force Fin " or any other trade Marks of Bob Evans Designs Inc. WE have no interest in being part of any testing, and our products are not for sale at this time. This is a Legal Notice, Posted onto Scuba Board 3/13/2015.
I have seen how sport Diver magazine tests fins...they decide how much money each fin make might generate if they were an advertiser, and then they think about which ones they ought to put in a test....
The tests are not tests...I would not trust them to test the difference between a Lamborghini and a Ford fiesta...though if they were looking for ad dollars, I'd "bet" that the Ford fiesta would kick the heck out of the Lamborghini in the "test". :)

Divers need to demo fins themselves, and not trust the prostitutes that pushed the bad gear in the first place.

Dan, you have that right. I remember when we ran some Ad's in Skin Diver, 1980's. The package deal was a "Nice Story" for a year of advertising. Start spending bigger dollars and they would get their good Dr. at UCLA to do a test write up. At the time I felt like we were in Las Vegas, if you can't play at the table, go home. Having been in Diving Industry since 1966, I have heard all the back door deals. Dive Training keeps it's nose very clean and is well respected by all. Have a good day it's Friday 13. Love, Bob

Nope. They are pricey.
I think this is more about what each of us wants to spend money on, versus waste money on....
I think an expensive computer is a complete waste of money....I can dive any recreational dive site anyone on this board can dive, and do it with a depth gauge and timer, and do as much or more bottom time per day as they will in a 5 dive per day trip. Alternatively I might go with a relatively inexpensive computer like the cressi edy I bought for freediving( and is also a Nitrox computer), but if I was challenged as to how much I could spend on gear, it sure as heck would not get wasted on a computer.
Likewise, I could dive a $200 reg, ANY place you could dive a $800 reg.....and there is a good chance my $200 choice would be more reliable ( say like the old Mark2 SP reg I have from the early 90's, with the R190 2nd stage...it NEVER, Ever breaks, and I have dived it to 300 feet deep). The high end SP reg I normally use now breathes a little nicer, but really, the price difference is a waste---all you need is the cheaper one.

I don't even need a BC for diving in the tropics..it's a huge waste of money....With a suit with no buoyancy swing, why the heck would you even want a BC on your back? With an Al 80, you can be just the tiniest bit positive at your safety stop...no big deal....So why waste upwards of $400 to $700 or more on a BC? Just get the lowest drag, cheapest and most minimal BC you can get, unless you have lots of money to burn...

Fins are what actually get you around....Fins are what can actually allow you to save your own life. Fins and a decent mask and snorkel, allow you to handle ANYTHING the ocean can throw at you....What I am saying is, if you have $1000 or $2000 to spend for dive gear, you buy the best fins for you first....NO OTHER piece of gear matters as much...Once you have your perfect fins, get a good mask, and then see how much money you have for a reg...then what's left for a BC and exposure suit ( ** I am still talking about the tropics--I choose not to wade in to the issues involved in cold water diving :)

There are some massive differences between fins...Some really terrible fins, that could make some dive sites downright life threatening, while a different pair of fins could make the same exact dive site lots of fun, and easy.
You really need to demo a lot of fins, and in a perfect world, there would be someone helping you with this, because some fins require specific kick shapes and coordinations, that are not intuitive. This would be the "right" instructor, from the right shop :)

Last edited:
I am now in Houston Texas and I brought my arsenal of dive gear with me from Seattle. If anyone wants to try a pair of force fins...uhm, we have 6 pairs (2 divers, pool work, tropical diving and dry suit diving so different sizes/reasons).

Happy to meet someone on a dive boat and loan a pair.
I will prob be selling a pair of the excellerating ff xxl and hoping i can find a replacement for my flying force fins (force fins with wings is my preferred fin)
Shell

We are back up and running Our Pennsyvania Plant is picking up the pace. We are making Force Fin in batches, all pre sold. So if your ready to make the change into the World's finest Fins then let's go. 2003_campaign_tan_delta_fin.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom