Just purchased a new reg..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking about having my new reg/octo checked out before my dive. Do you think that it is necessary since it is new?

Never hurts. Safety first is my motto.

I would think that if you bought it from a LDS then they will have taken care of testing. But if you ordered it from somewhere I would probably have it checked

You should be able to check it out yourself.

Check hoses and other any other connections/covers that are supposed to be tight and make sure you can not loosen any by hand. I have seen NIB regs where hoses could be removed by hand.

Seal up the 1st stage an try to inhale normally from the 2nd. You should get nothing. If you are getting air, then there may be a leak that will let water in where it should not be.

Put it on a tank and pressurize it. You should not hear any leaks. At this point, you really can't wait so go ahead and breath both 2nds. They may make some funny noise when out of the water but should deleiver air comfortably.

Turn the air off and fill the bathtub. Make sure the SPG holds pressure while tub is filling. Pressure drop indicates a leak. Turn pressure on and give it a bath to again make sure there are no leaks or find and fix if there are. Let it sit for a few minutes to make sure no leaks develop. If you really have to, you can stick your face in the water and breath ... but don't log it.

Take it easy for a dive or 2 to make sure you are comfortable with your new gear.

Only thing I could add to what awap said is while you already have to have a tank rented or filled, after doing the rest of the stuff he recommended, you could try it out with your BC etc. in a swimming pool. And, if you did buy it from a LDS, you could drop by and ask them what they would charge you to double-check it (should be nil in my experience for them to check without tearing it apart for a rebuild).

Back
Top Bottom