Just moved to Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am diver from MA who has been doing all his diving in the warm water of Florida, but I just got my son certified and would like to keep him diving. I hear that there are some dive sites in RI that aren't bitter cold like the MA sites I've tried (temps in the mid-60's?), and I am looking for some divers with knowledge of the area that could show us the ropes for diving RI. Also, does anyone have any info on boat charters out to Block Island? I hear that vis there can be pretty good this time of year.

Your a long drive from RI, Grafton that's western MA isn't it? Well as you can see by the post before yours I'll be diving Sunday in the "warm" waters of Newport, RI so if you're interested let me know and I'll send the details when I have them to you. I don't usually dive the North Shore without a dry suit. Newport was 65-67F last Saturday.

Your a long drive from RI, Grafton that's western MA isn't it? Well as you can see by the post before yours I'll be diving Sunday in the "warm" waters of Newport, RI so if you're interested let me know and I'll send the details when I have them to you. I don't usually dive the North Shore without a dry suit. Newport was 65-67F last Saturday.

Thanks for the offer to dive with me. I actually took some initiative this afternoon and started calling around to dive shops to see if I could find some that organize shore dives in the area. I am in Central Mass so RI is not much of a hike. New England Dive Center out of CT is hosting a shore dive event at Fort Wetherill (about an hour and 20 minutes away) and I am going to give that a 1 tank try to see how I like it. I'd be interested in diving Newport sometime though so, maybe we can PM some contact info for a future weekend.

FYI, my LDS is participating with the New England Aquarium to do a shore dive (I think this is also at Fort Wetherill) in late September that is billed as a tropical fish rescue event which might be interesting.

Thanks for the offer to dive with me. I actually took some initiative this afternoon and started calling around to dive shops to see if I could find some that organize shore dives in the area. I am in Central Mass so RI is not much of a hike. New England Dive Center out of CT is hosting a shore dive event at Fort Wetherill (about an hour and 20 minutes away) and I am going to give that a 1 tank try to see how I like it. I'd be interested in diving Newport sometime though so, maybe we can PM some contact info for a future weekend.

FYI, my LDS is participating with the New England Aquarium to do a shore dive (I think this is also at Fort Wetherill) in late September that is billed as a tropical fish rescue event which might be interesting.

Your welcome, the offer is always open. Fort Wetherill sucks IMO but it is better than nothing. FTW's only claim to fame is it's easy entry. The vis is mostly bad, a night dive is sometimes good because you can't see further than your light anyway! I have family in Aruban MA, I wouldn't want to drive all that way after a day of diving.
Safe Diving!

Your welcome, the offer is always open. Fort Wetherill sucks IMO but it is better than nothing. FTW's only claim to fame is it's easy entry. The vis is mostly bad, a night dive is sometimes good because you can't see further than your light anyway! I have family in Aruban MA, I wouldn't want to drive all that way after a day of diving.
Safe Diving!

At least I only committed a single tank to the dive if viz sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just at Giant Stride this afternoon. He added a mid-week Block Island dive for some out of town folks. August 14th. Check the website. They are also doing a guided dive Saturday.

under water some where

At least I only committed a single tank to the dive if viz sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope I'm wrong for your dive. It isn't always bad just most times. I was told last year that low tide is often better for the vis although I haven't found that to be the case, yet. I haven't dove FTW this year however so, more the chance I'll be wrong. By the way Block Island as no dive ops on it and very few shore dive sites. Most of the water front is private property.

Met Tom from Giant Stride. We dove Kings Beach. Slack tide was at 1:30 or so. Had a group of 12! It was surgey, viz 20' or less. Good to be in the water.

under water some where

You had good vis anyway! I'm diving FTW Sunday. The Folk Festival is this weekend so I'm outa Newport this weekend!

Great getting out & meeting everyone. Thanks AfterDark for guiding. Now I know where I can to dial in my drysuit with steel tanks [emoji51]! Plus I don't need the thick undergarments now.

under water some where

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom