Just got the dc1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone else have a problem with the proximity of the strobe bracket and the shutter release? I can't get my hand around the camera to snap the shutter/work the zoom like you should and wrapping my hand around the strobe makes it too far away. I'm thinking about building an extension/replacement to the mounting arm to move the strobe arm about an inch away.

I also think the flash bracket is too short. I'd like to be able to bend the strobe up and over a bit more than I currently can. I'm going to order some Loc-Line sections and play with the length/height of the strobe arm. Maybe a 90-degree elbow and more segments will accomplish both?

Where do you purchase the extension pieces from - I know a longer arm is available from Sealife that will do the job

Nice photos - here is a link to my latest photos - are you happy with your camera Flickr: billunder's Photostream

are you using photo editing at all?

i just got back from Roatan, and have some really nice pictures i will post later on this week or next week when i get some time.
just playing with settings and different flash brightness and macro settings really helped get some great pictures.
lots of turtles, sea horses, and Flamingo Tongue

Is the Flash diffuser a must have? and When would you typically use the diffuser?

Thanks

flash diffuser helps widen the flash beam.

try taking a picture with and without the diffuser of the same subject. on land, you will notice the difference.

I use it for macro and close wide angle.

Thank you, I just had placed an order for the diffuser. (I am surprised that when I purchased the DC1400 Pro Flash that the diffuser was not part of the package.)

I guess I will need to "kick the tires" on this set up before I get it wet in a month.

So that being said, What else besides the extra battery, memory cards, moisture munchers, should I be looking for? Or am I at the point where i just need to add water?

Definitely get a strobe with it. Only a few hundred starting price. The difference with and without a strobe is huge and allows you to capture all the colors as depth results in loss of light and thus loss of colors without external light.

Also, I don't know if you're new to underwater cameras or not but check out Underwater Photography Guide . Loads of tips and guides on everything underwater.

Thank you I have already bookmarked that page. The thing is I will not get the camera wet until May 16th on Cozumel. Everything has to be done on land so I want to get all the "kinks" out before I jump in with the camera. I want most of the learning curve behind me if that is at all possible.
I have a fair knowledge of Photography. I have been shooting on land with an Cannon AE1 for 25 years. This is the first "film less" camera that I have owned. I had borrowed my daughters Cool Pix last year when were at Playa del Carmen and Tulum. No diving shots other than a disposable Fuji. This is why I had to purchase the DC1400 so I could get some underwater shots as well as the land shots.
I hope to get some nice underwater shots and even some video. All of the pictures that I have seen on line are very nice.
I also have purchased a "spotting"(Fantasea Nano focusing 8 LED flashlight). With some velcro straps or Zip ties I could attach it to the side of the Strobe head. I am thinking this will work well. Since this light will shut itself off for 2 seconds when it senses the pre-flash to avoid additional "scatter." Since this light's mounting bracket does not work with the Sealife Strobe set up I thought I would try to modify a way for it to work. So far the Velcro strap seems to keep it tight against the head of the strobe.

very nice, my friend has the dc1400 too.

do you have any strobe/external lighting mike?

I also posted this under the manufacture form for Sealife:

In Cozumel right now trying out my DC1400 for the first time. Just downloaded my pics from yesterday. The video is awlful when viewed on my computer. Is this because it's HD and computer isn't. If this is the case, will all video transfered to store on my computer - will the HD be lost when I again transfer to a HD CD? The pics are great by the way. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom