Just got the dc1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics!

I've had the DC1200 for a short time, flooded it. I think it was a decent camera, but I think a strobe is required.
Yes you can manually adjust F-stop and shutter Speed. It is limited though. I can't speak for the DC1400, but there's not too much changing.
I've only tested the strobe yet, it was a great help. I just ordered a DC1400 and video light so I'll be shooting with both the light and the strobe.

If you want a relatively cheap camera which is easy to handle, you won't be disappointed. If you like to have a bit more control, more manual settings and RAW I would recommend something like a Canon G12.

I currently use a Canon sx120is for terrestrial use and love it. Great versatility in a non-DSLR. MUCH easier to pack around on trips and such than a DSLR. I've considered a housing for it, along with strobes, but feel a separate camera may be a better option. I'll go look at the G-12, but your impressions on the DC1200 and 1400 are most appreciated.

I have got the DC 1400, I have dived for a few years using a Fuji - The 1400 has got great controls and easy to use - difficult to get great shots - frustrating in fact, but that is not to say you can't take good shots. They are a cheap set up and I have been reminded of that by my supplier???? So I gather you get what you pay for! Enjoy what ever you decide.
See my flickr page for some Picture samples
Flickr: billunder's Photostream

Cheers

I realize the get what you pay for addage. But thousands on a dive camera just doesn't make sense right now... I just wish people would sell their DSLR setups with housings and strobes cheaper! lol I have no problem buying used. Thanks for the photo link! Checking them out now!

I'm also looking into purchasing this. Would you recommend getting the model with the Photo/Video light or the model with the Strobe? Would the Photo/Video light still work for photography or is the strobe best suited for this purpose.

Thanks,
C.

It might be a little late, but I don't see that anyone answered this. I just got my 1400 Pro Duo yesterday and will post one of the test photos I did with this great little camera. The 1400 doesn't need the WA lens. The lens on the camera already goes slightly wider than the older models WITH the WA lens attachment and you don't have to carry a dangling lens with you and fumble with it under water. How's that for improvements?

I looked at the older models that are now on clearance. By the time you add the WA lens and other goodies that the 1400 Pro Duo comes with, you might as well get the 1400 and get the better camera.

It might be a little late, but I don't see that anyone answered this. I just got my 1400 Pro Duo yesterday and will post one of the test photos I did with this great little camera. The 1400 doesn't need the WA lens. The lens on the camera already goes slightly wider than the older models WITH the WA lens attachment and you don't have to carry a dangling lens with you and fumble with it under water. How's that for improvements?

I looked at the older models that are now on clearance. By the time you add the WA lens and other goodies that the 1400 Pro Duo comes with, you might as well get the 1400 and get the better camera.

The Fish Eye lens is supposed to be available in April 2012. I am waiting to purchase this camera. I waited to purchase the DC1200 unfortunately only to have that camera sell out in a few months. I am hoping to pick this camera up in in a few weeks.

I have got the DC 1400, I have dived for a few years using a Fuji - The 1400 has got great controls and easy to use - difficult to get great shots - frustrating in fact, but that is not to say you can't take good shots. They are a cheap set up and I have been reminded of that by my supplier???? So I gather you get what you pay for! Enjoy what ever you decide.
See my flickr page for some Picture samples
Flickr: billunder's Photostream

Cheers

amaizng pictures with DC1400

Flickr: starrlamia's Photostream

the link above is my GFs flickr, it has pic's i took with my DC 1400, with strobe.
mind you i was learning how to use the camera for most of the trip, and it is my first underwater camera. so the pictures arent the best but it is what a novice underwater photographer can expect.

next trip i am taking the auto settings off and playing more!

PS i havent used photoshop or any program on any of the pictures.

amaizng pictures with DC1400

Flickr: starrlamia's Photostream

the link above is my GFs flickr, it has pic's i took with my DC 1400, with strobe.
mind you i was learning how to use the camera for most of the trip, and it is my first underwater camera. so the pictures arent the best but it is what a novice underwater photographer can expect.

next trip i am taking the auto settings off and playing more!

PS i havent used photoshop or any program on any of the pictures.

Nice photos - here is a link to my latest photos - are you happy with your camera Flickr: billunder's Photostream

Does anyone else have a problem with the proximity of the strobe bracket and the shutter release? I can't get my hand around the camera to snap the shutter/work the zoom like you should and wrapping my hand around the strobe makes it too far away. I'm thinking about building an extension/replacement to the mounting arm to move the strobe arm about an inch away.

I also think the flash bracket is too short. I'd like to be able to bend the strobe up and over a bit more than I currently can. I'm going to order some Loc-Line sections and play with the length/height of the strobe arm. Maybe a 90-degree elbow and more segments will accomplish both?

Back
Top Bottom