Just generally curious about diving in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry - a bit of a vague, open-ended question. I'm relocating from Vancouver BC, to the triangle probably around fall of 2012. I'm a new (but avid) diver here... but what should I expect from the NC dive scene? I mean aside from not having to dive a drysuit if I don't want to :wink:

I hear the wrecks are great of course. Is there much interesting freshwater diving to be done if I am not up for driving to the coast?

There are several quarries there that are part of the PDRA. I have attached the link for you NC Quarry Diving, In-Land Diving

Heck, I wished I lived closer to them as I think it is a great value. I am sure others that actually use the quarries will chime in at some point. I would suspect to hear from Herman, Lullebelle and Baby Duck to give you more info. I have met some from NC and all have been great. Many are here on SB.

It amazes me how many nice people that I have met from SB and Just over the past couple of weekends.

Congrats on your future relocation to NC. I'm not familar with the fresh water dive options in NC as both my prior trips to NC have been to dive the off-shore wrecks. It's a nine hour drive for me to the NC coast and well worth the drive.

Last time I was in Morehead, NC in September 2010, the water temp was 80 degree with 60 - 70 ft viz. The wrecks and the marine life makes it worth the drive. You are so lucky to relocate so close to all that great wreck diving.

Agree with Desi about all the nice people she's met on SB. I feel the same and count many among my nearest and dearest buddies/friends now. :D

Wow, thanks everyone! I am looking forward to the relocation too. Perhaps I'll be meeting some of you in fall or winter of 2012.

60-70 ft viz (I'll have to recalibrate my brain away from metric, or at least get better at converting) sounds quite good. At many of the sites I dive here, 40' is a great day... and that is in winter when there are no algae blooms. Likewise those temps are going to be a dream though I do not mind the cold. Last dive here was 4 degrees C at depth (39F for you). That was back in March but I doubt it has warmed up much down there... going out again in a few weeks.

Diving a quarry sounds interesting - I've never done anything comparable to that. What sort of stuff is there to even see in one? I assume plenty of life would have colonized one. Are they stocked with fish?

I'm jealous, I miss living in my native state, even though I'm just a couple hours away! NC offshore diving is fantastic, if a little temperamental weather-wise. I'm familiar with both Fantasy Lake (north of Raleigh) and the James M. Robertson (aka Blanch) Quarry, a PDRA facility near the VA border midway between Durham and Greensboro. The PDRA is a great deal since you pay a small yearly fee ($40), they give you a key, and you can dive whenever you want (assuming you have a buddy who is also a member). Lake Rawlings in VA is also frequented by NC divers as it's not too far from the border. All these are good for training and to just get wet when the ocean isn't an option, but maybe not worth a very long trip IMO. There are also other places such as Lake Norman near Charlotte, but I don't have any experience there.

Edit: Rawlings has various attractions such an an airplane, school buses, boats and such. There are lots of good sized bass and brim there. Fantasy Lake and Blanch also have some smaller attractions and fish, most memorably some albino catfish in Blanch.

Diving a quarry sounds interesting - I've never done anything comparable to that. What sort of stuff is there to even see in one? I assume plenty of life would have colonized one. Are they stocked with fish?

I've only dived two quarries, Gilboa in OH and Dutch Springs in PA, both had varieties of fishes, ie: koi, bass, trout, perch and zebra mussels. Gilboa supposedly has a paddlefish but we did not see it all weekend. :depressed:

They drop "attractions" into the quarry. At Dutch they have a Cessna, crane, fire truck, tanker, planes, helicopter, trolley, cruiser, truck, etc.

I think of the quarries at a large pond but with better viz. The nice thing about the quarries, is that they are a gathering place for people that just want to dive but cannot get to the ocean for one reason or another, to try out new gear and just meet people. The only quarries I have visited are Rawlings in Va and Dutch Springs in PA. Each one will have its own attractions, training platforms for working on skills and water life. The fish are used to seeing divers and are not afraid to approach and look for handouts. Cheese Whiz being one that they like, if you have issues with fish being up close and personal then I would not suggest this. My family and I go to the quarry about once a month, just to stay current and get in the water. There is one quarry in IL that I want to visit, but only because of a catfish named Wilber. I want to feed him.

I live in Wilmington, NC on the SE corner of the state and the diving in the ocean here is amazing. I am always surprised at how little folks know about NC diving. It really is a 'hidden gem'. World-class is how many divers describe what we have. There are wrecks everywhere (Graveyard of the Atlantic, anyone?) and the sea life is incredible due to the fact that we are in temperate waters but get the tropical current from the Gulf Stream.

I concur with the others about the diving inshore. Since you will be in the Triangle, you will become well aquainted with the quarries. There are many active divers in the area and the NC Divers Board is a good place to introduce yourself. I like Fantasy Lake. It is a quarry dedicated to diving with a lot of cool things sunk in it.

I may be a little self-serving, but take a look at my blog that discusses everything I like about diving and NC coast diving, in specific. It can be found at Scuba Frank. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish and I welcome you to NC diving!

Sorry for the hijack, but Frank, didn't I buddy up with you on an AS fossil charter a couple seasons back? I was on the boat with my brother but he sat out the second dive? Small world. Anyway, I love fossil diving but unfortunately our spring charter got blown out. Will maybe try again this fall.

Back
Top Bottom