Just fun, inquiring divers wanted to know..so

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is hilarious! I have to pass this on to one of my friend's who is a Philadelphia fireman. He never told me fireman have this kinda of fun when training.

No, I don't hate you nor any of your friends.
I only consider that an AL80 tank and all the related gear that you were happily destroying just for fun could be very usefull for some other people that cannot afford the cost of diving.
I'm more than happy diving. I love diving. Sometimes I cannot afford the cost of a diving trip, rent the gear and so on, nor even consider buying my own gear.
When I see people destroying things just for fun what some others cannot get, that makes me angry.
I know and I understand that you can do what ever you want with your money, time and belongings. It's your right, but wasting resources is something that goes against the rights of the rest of the people.
As National Geographics says, what every one does, counts, no matter how little it is.
Do you ever watch a TV show called Mythbusters?

I only consider that an AL80 tank and all the related gear that you were happily destroying just for fun could be very usefull for some other people that cannot afford the cost of diving.

You forget that we're Americans... we love blowing stuff-up for fun.:bomb: Usually, we don't even need scientific curiousity to do so.

By the way, is it the 4th of July yet? :peace:

Interesting that the aluminum cylinders failed in the 5000psi range -- how old and abused were they?

According to Luxfer the minimum burst pressure is 2.5x service pressure, or 7,500psi.

Both AL tanks were recently taken out of service due to pitting found after the VIP. The outsides were in great shape with only minor paint scratches. No thread damage either. They were eight and nine years old. We were actually thinking they woul burst at 9000psi not even thinking this would happen over 5000psi. It really drove home the need for annual inspections and how what could be consisdered minor pitting really does effect the tank.

The steel tank was 22yrs old and failed it's hydro. But we just couldnt get that thing to pop. Our hp lines blew at 8000psi and they were rated to 15000psi, but they were old too and propbably a bit dry rotted. (BTW, when the hoses blew, they sound like a shotgun blast).

I also forgot in the post that we replaced the burst discs in the valves with punched metal so they wouldn't blow and depressurise the tank before it would explode.

If I had access to that kind of "dead" quarry, I know what experiment I'd try.

We get these buckets at work; they're how the big dessicant packs are shipped to us. They're all-metal, with a clamping-ring lid that seals very well, and around a 6 gallon or so capacity. I would love to see just how big a dry-ice depth-charge one would make.

I figure it would work to put a cinder-block inside one, fill it with water almost to the top of the block, set the dry ice on the block so that it's out of the water while sealing the lid on, and then let it tip off the side of a boat, hence immersing the dry-ice in the water. I would need to make sure this arrangement would sink.

Needless to say, it would also be a boat capable of putting some distance between itself and the drop point.

I've seen the kinds of explosions 2 liter soda bottle dry-ice bombs make in pools. I'd bet one of those buckets would make a pretty impressive depth-charge.

Alas, available quarries are not that common around here.

We are so going to try this. We just need to work out the logistics. And this time, someone will bring video equipment. Thanks for the idea. We have an old pelican box that needs to be "recycled" for this experiment. Not sure we could get a metal container, but were going to look....thanks

Two words- det cord.

TC:
Two words- det cord.
:lol:​
Good toy that!
violent-smiley-016.gif

We are so going to try this. We just need to work out the logistics. And this time, someone will bring video equipment. Thanks for the idea. We have an old pelican box that needs to be "recycled" for this experiment. Not sure we could get a metal container, but were going to look....thanks

My son is suggesting we could ship one of the buckets out to you. He doesn't think it would cost that much to send, and we're both thinking it would be worth the shipping cost to see the video of the results.

I guess the next time the firemen train, we should have them use pictures of flames attached to a house structure and have them spit at the house to simulate firehoses. This way no water would be harmed/wasted, and we could then recycle the paper. We also recieved 5.80 for the recylced metals today!!!!! Keeping it environmentally healthy.

As I recall Bob & Doug McKenzie had some good ideas for putting out fires in the movie Strange Brew :D.....might be more effective then spitting on it (unless of course you are training Big Joe Muffaraw)

JHC You are nuts!!!! Thats MAD CRAZY AWESOME!!! :rofl3:

Are you hiring by any chance? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom