Just for laughs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm calling BS on your intentions with posting these videos. You say it's to educate the masses and to self police but I think it's just your ego showing through. For lack of a better term I would call you a sidemount bully.

If you really want to help the masses, focus your attention on videos that really show good trim and instruction and what sidemount should be.

Posting a tread with the title "just for laughs" and then denying that you weren't trying to ridicule the divers in the video is an obvious lie.

Like an earlier poster suggested, call up the dive shop and offer your expertise, if they take your word for that of an expert and listen to you great, if not, oh well. But enough is enough. Those videos were not of divers/instructors looking for criticism. they were not posted in a sidemount forum to see what the experts thought of their diving.

When I said get over yourself, I was referring to your post directly above it where you were trying to present yourself as an appointed sidemount sheriff, and that it was your job and quest to make sure that everyone knew they (those in the video) were diving sidemount incorrectly.

I have made similar comments in one of the facebook groups I'm in. And it's the same one where you posted another video of a bunch of divers with the title " I can't hold my tongue anymore" or something to that nature. Show some professionalism, I don't see Edd, Rob Neto, Woody Jasper, Lamar or Steve B, posting videos of bad sidemount divers and trying to save the uneducated from those instructors. And frankly anyone one of those guys would have every right to do so if they wanted to, but they show professionalism/Class and don't.

I could not have said it better myself.

I did not get a chance to see the video before it was removed.

As a training customer - NOT instructor - I EXPECT professionals to police each other. Contrary to your stated opinions, I believe it is UNPROFESSIONAL to do as you both suggest and politely ignore bad instruction.

My training dollars and my SAFETY depend on good instruction. If you so-called professionals are not concerned with that, I really have to question your professional ethics and integrity. You are both instructors, right?

It's not about politely ignoring bad instruction. Neither of us suggested that. We both said that there are better ways to concentrate your efforts. Call or speak to those involved directly. Offer your opinion. If they take it, great. But to post the video and ridicule it and encourage ridicule of their efforts (I'm not defending their diving or attempt at sidemount) is unprofessional and doesn't accomplish anything when it comes to training those divers right.

You are absolutely right, your training dollars and safety depend on good instruction. It's your job as a student to pick a good instructor (I know that's kinda crap since there are standards and all of that but honestly not everyone is created equal when it comes to quality instruction) , it's not and shouldn't be the instructors job to blast another one for doing it wrong. Or at least that's how I run my business.

If I want someone to believe I'm the best instructor for the job I don't go around bashing my fellow instructors, I just put the better product out there. If the student wants the better product they will come.

You have already made a significant step in the right direction by researching the topic before hand. I'm pretty sure even without reading all the demeaning threads you should still be able to pick out a good sidemount diver from a bad from watching a video.

Gcarter- Ignore bad instruction? Yes, I'm not the sidemount police. And I'm not about to post videos of bad instruction on the internet and label it "for laughs" or whatever. As professionals we communicate with other instructors if there's issues. We DON'T post numerous videos of them and their students on the internet to ridicule them. I have absolutely no problem with constructive criticism or maybe a funny jab here and there to keep things pleasantly humorous but the title of this thread does not indicate such. If you disagree with that, we'll never be on the same page and I'll be relieved of this discussion.

As professionals we communicate with other instructors if there's issues. We DON'T...

So, you're not 'sidemount police'... you're just self-appointed 'instructor police'? I see...

That's irony funnier than the initial thread topic... pmsl...

Instructor police? No, Andy, I don't police anybody. Never have and never will. And I sure as hell won't post videos of instructors and students, label it "just for laughs", then claim it's for "education". As Doppler said in another thread you posted, there's nothing you can do about it....just keep trucking. I like that advice.

That's irony funnier than the initial thread topic... pmsl...

I'm shocked you find this funny. One might draw negative conclusions of a cocky instructor who laughs at students who are taking a course from inadequate instructors.

there's nothing you can do about it....

Well, the response that arose from the FB groups saw the video removed very quickly. So something is happening.

One might draw negative conclusions of a cocky instructor who laughs at students who are taking a course from inadequate instructors.

First, the 'students' in that video were instructor trainers - receiving sidemount IT ratings from an agency big-wig. That's what was disclosed via FB.

...and yes, I do find that funny.

Perhaps, it's my ironic humor. I've heard that Yanks don't "get" ironic British humor. Mr Bean, but never Blackadder huh?

That's why I am chuckling hard about you doing the exact same thing: reaming out an instructor publicly, because you, personally, don't agree with something they put online. Go figure on that one....

So they weren't students...they were instructor trainers. So what? You're so above them that you post their videos and laugh at them? Quite frankly, you're no guru yourself, my friend. Truthfully, you're in no place to ridicule ANYBODY.

Goodluck.

So they weren't students...they were instructor trainers. So what? You're so above them that you post their videos and laugh at them? Quite frankly, you're no guru yourself, my friend. Truthfully, you're in no place to ridicule ANYBODY.

Ridicule and laughing at someone are different. Take, for example, how you make me laugh, and yet I do not ridicule you...

You don't seem to comprehend what is so obnoxious about this minority of instructors who've jumped onto the sidemount band-wagon without so much as a courtesy glance at what the community is doing. That there is something ethically wrong, just plain wrong, with offering to teach a subject that you haven't bothered yourself to learn about, or take proper training in.

I don't consider myself any type of guru. That said, I care deeply about the quality of training that I provide. I wish that training to be consistent with the best practices and examples that are available. I hold myself to that yardstick...it motivates me to learn incessantly, to improve, to research, to develop.

I will not, have never, teach something that I have not developed through extensive experience, training and research. I have zero respect for those who do. That lack of respect... that scorn... may betray itself through the naming of a thread. Nonetheless, the educational value of exposing these charlatans for what they are remains worthy.

People can do what they want in their private time. They can post abysmal videos for all their desire. When they start promoting sloppy courses, through such materials... when they start taking people's money.... then the tone changes. It changes substantially. It becomes fraud. It becomes a cynical manipulation of other people's desire to learn and progress.

You may not care about that. You say that's because you wish no ill-will on the internet. I'd believe that, except you seem happy enough to insult, belittle and judge in this thread to you heart's content. That seems like hypocrisy of the highest order, if I may say so.

pot-and-kettke.jpg

It's not about politely ignoring bad instruction. Neither of us suggested that. We both said that there are better ways to concentrate your efforts. Call or speak to those involved directly. Offer your opinion. If they take it, great. But to post the video and ridicule it and encourage ridicule of their efforts (I'm not defending their diving or attempt at sidemount) is unprofessional and doesn't accomplish anything when it comes to training those divers right.

You are absolutely right, your training dollars and safety depend on good instruction. It's your job as a student to pick a good instructor (I know that's kinda crap since there are standards and all of that but honestly not everyone is created equal when it comes to quality instruction) , it's not and shouldn't be the instructors job to blast another one for doing it wrong. Or at least that's how I run my business.

If I want someone to believe I'm the best instructor for the job I don't go around bashing my fellow instructors, I just put the better product out there. If the student wants the better product they will come.

You have already made a significant step in the right direction by researching the topic before hand. I'm pretty sure even without reading all the demeaning threads you should still be able to pick out a good sidemount diver from a bad from watching a video.

What if they don't take it? As a prospective student, how do I know if they are any good if nobody will say anything and there is no effective mechanism for ensuring instructional quality?

Maybe there are better ways, IDK. But as a consumer I do not generally feel very well served by the standards I see kept. The current lack of policing is not working IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom