Just did my firstdives as a divemaster candidate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...and I must admit, it was a challenge, but a very rewarding challenge.

I personally had a lot of fun and I learned a lot in the process. The water was cold and many of the students were nervous, but it was great to be able to assist them and share my experiences with them since it was their first time diving outside a pool.

It was also a bit tiring - I think I easily swam 1km throughout the whole day between assisting divers on the surface and helping the instructor with marking some wrecks since they were shore dives.
In my opinion, I thought a few of the students could have used a bit more practice in the pool, and the instructor was happy to listen to what I had to say about everything.

In the end, it was an awesome experience and I recommend it to those who are as passionate about diving as I am, but only IF you are willing to accept the challenges that come along with it because they ARE there and if you're willing to put the necessary time in to ensure you can deal with these challenges and be there for other divers

Congrats, Andrew. With Divemaster, attitude is everything. If you enjoy helping others and sharing your passion for diving, it's a great way to be able to do both.

DM work is tough but rewarding. You Carry out dive planning,fill tanks, you help customers gearup, solve problems, take them on tour, joke around and keep them entertained- fun guy. At the end of the day you are really blown out but still have to take care of next days dive. For all this you get paid peanuts. But then a customer comes and tells you it fun diving with you and that makes your day. You go home with a big smile on you face dreaming about next morning dive.

Cool AndrewK2 - we have our first D/M class on 6/24. Looking forward to it.

Just doing a DM Course program for two DM candidates now and it was interesting to see what you say, I hope my new DMCs say that they had an excellent experience once we have completed their program :)

I've been a DM for a while and I still really enjoy it. It forces you to think of others and be totally comfortable in just about any situation. The students really need to feel safe with the DM. I learn as much from students as any instructor I've ever had. Sometimes it is hard not to get p*ssed off but I keep it to myself:)

I've just completed my DM course, took me 3 months internship program stylee, and I loved every single day of it!Like Andydiver said, somedays you go home absolutely tore up from the floor up, but its all worth while when your customer tells you what fantastic day they have had with you, and if your really good they show their appreciation for it as well. Not that you go looking for that, its just a great bonus to know that somebday has appreciated what you did for them all day to that degree. Cant wait to get into my OWSI program now!

Freds :coffee:

Congrats!! I start my DM course this month and I am very excited! I know it will be a lot of hard work but, well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom