Just Conversation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummmmmmmm....but the plane was flying????

Wow, your grasp of simple concepts is amazing!

There was about ten seconds in the video that the plane flew.

The rest of the time I was attempting to describe the backpack design idea for the airplane.

Yes, it has practical uses other than me taking the plane out on hikes for fun.

Part of my job is working with both controlled burns, as well as wild fires.

It is very expensive to have a full sized airplane fly over an area to inspect the progress and track of a burn/fire. To be able to carry something like this on a burn, toss it in the air from any small fire lane, fly it up over the area you want to inspect, and get it back in your hand to download the video in near real time would be beneficial to the burn coordinators. During controlled burns, it would be good to see from the air any potential problems like sections that didn't burn, or areas that fire jumped to that were not intended. Similar for wildfires. Being able to scout from the air without leaving the ground, to see what the fire is doing would help coordinate the fire suppression crews.

Or jobs that might require search and recovery over a wide, fairly open area. To be able to aerial surveys where they are trying to exclude human interference. (For example, bird breeding colonies, or fragile ground habitats like our dune systems, where just walking in there will damage the restoration progress.)

The plane that I am tossing into the air costs well under a hundred dollars, and that's with the camera. You couldn't reserve a full size plane for that cost. You can't fly nearly as low, and there's no (ok, little, this 12 oz plane might put your eye out if you don't catch it right :)) risk to human safety.

There are video systems out there that could go on a slightly larger version of this plane, that would transmit live video while in flight. One of the benefits is that even if something happened to the plane in flight, you would still have the visual data on hand. You could try to retrieve the plane at a later date.

Deerwood+MN+2.jpg

I figured someone would find a picture of it.

we have a guy who has a deer stand (shooting house on stilts) on the side of the road. Instead of a hunter in it, he had a deer, wearing a hunting hat, an orange vest, and a deer in it holding a fake rifle pointing it at traffic.

1231834825.jpg

one of my co workers sent me these years ago...

it was deer on the side of the road on the interstate that runs between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The deer was grazing along the grass along the top of an overpass when a vehicle approached and he ran down the road and jumped the guardrail of the overpass thinking it was fence.

well he fell into a truck that was going under the overpass

2.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

2d.jpg

Wow PHD. The video surveillance actually makes sense...Imagine that.

Deer sitings on the side of the road are a common thing around here. I saw four the last time I came home from diving in Marianna. It was after dark. One was a big buck. I bet the hunters didn't have that much luck that day. :D

Hey PHD, have you seen the plane they are using on the show Storm Chasers?
Carolyn:shark2:

I've seen the pictures, I saw the video explaining it, I have yet to see them actually fly it.

It has made a bit of stir in the RC forums. A brief stir, but it did get some attention. Part of that was the price they say they paid for it.

For the money invested, I am curious as to why they don't have the camera installed that allows them to view from the pilots seat in the plane, instead of having to look up from the ground.

Like this...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom