Just Conversation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linda%20with%20cast-iron%20frying%20pan_100.jpg

This is the size I need for PHD. Maybe it would knock some sense into him.

I just joined Facebook today. So that's where everybody is..

So why did you start back diving? Because you missed cooking for me? :D

My diving will be limited, to me using up the tanks that have not been inspected, and that I don't see myself shelling out money to have it done any time soon...

So what happened to the turtle??????

Swam out to sea?

It's expected that they make their way out to the sargasso sea, where they hide in the floating beds of sea weed until they mature to a point where they are relatively safe in the open water.

It is also believed that it will be up to 30 years before they reach sexual maturity. Then only the females will return to land. At which point they will possibly nest three times in a season. While that seems like a lot, they may not nest again for two years.

They are also believed to nest where they were hatched from. And they need beaches without development in order for the hatchlings to survive. A freshly hatched turtle will look for the brightest horizon. Before condos and beach homes this would be towards the water. Now with development, the brighter horizon is towards the buildings and roads, where they are picked off by predators, or become dehydrated.

So, hatchlings that are just now returning to nest after about 30 years of maturing, are finding their home beaches littered with obstructions, such as beach chairs and awnings. They get stuck in holes left by children digging pits and moats. And then their young are disoriented if they are able to dig themselves out of the next.

This leaves parks like the one I work at as the last safe nesting areas. It's also why they are so strict about allowing things to be left on the sand at the end of the day, or allowing pets on the beach as well. These undeveloped stretches of beach are essential to the species survival.

Does that answer your question?

Back
Top Bottom