Just call me a cork or dork. . .they both apply . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of using my rear (arse) dump. It allows me to remain horizontal throughout my ascent. The key, IMHO, is to give it a SLIGHT tug. Barely pull on the cord and release it immediately. I have learned that whenever I use this dump I almost always let out too much air. No matter how small the tug. That's ok. Use your inflator hose and tap it twice. Maybe thrice :D And you should be neutral once again without having to be out of trim. The only issue I have with using the shoulder dump is that you have to get out of trim to lift your shoulders. Since all of the air is now at your shoulders you'll start to rise in the water.

It is sooo much easier to use the rear dumps . . . so if I can master the right amount of air to release then I agree it is the way to go. I sort of got in the habit of using the rear dump valves because I was constantly putting my head to the sand to try to stay down!!! I'll work on it this weekend.

It is sooo much easier to use the rear dumps . . . so if I can master the right amount of air to release then I agree it is the way to go. I sort of got in the habit of using the rear dump valves because I was constantly putting my head to the sand to try to stay down!!! I'll work on it this weekend.

I look forward to the update. The best positon to be in in the water IMHO is horizontal with your knees bent head slightly down and shoulders in line with your torso. If you need to look up, bend your neck, NOT your shoulders. Bending the shoulders will cause you to rise in the water. You should be able to maintain the above position all the way to the surface. Just something to practice. Not something set in stone.

I am in the EXACT same boat! I just started diving dry and almost every time I get to 15 feet, I ascend a little too fast. I've been told it takes anywhere between 20-50 dives to really feel comfortable with buoyancy (I can't wait that long!).

A few things that have helped me:
- I had a buddy look at my body position when I tried dumping gas from my drysuit and when I move the gas from my feet to my shoulders. I *thought* I was getting vertical enough, but I wasn't. I was so used to arching my back to keep horizontal trim that the gas was staying in my lower body. A buddy's great for checking this!
- I don't know about you, but for my first dive, I was using my drysuit for buoyancy control a little too much...now I just try to use it to relieve the crush.
- I was also told not to be afraid to get a bit more vertical than you might want to be. While most of us like to stay horizontal, it's not the only (or always best) way to dive. If you need to get more vertical to get the gas out, do so...since it's safer to be vertical than to pop up a little too fast.

Just a few thoughts that have helped me a little so far!

Yes and no. :blinking:

Only come up with less then 800 psi once (after a mishap) so I've not done a check at 500 psi. (Being a woman my buddies breathe more air then I :D) But I've done several checks. I got down to 10 lbs in 7 mil/fresh but had to go back to 12 lbs because of not holding the stop. I think, if I can master the other issues causing me to cork, that I can actually get to 10 lbs and safely hold a stop.

When you get to 10' just free flow your octo until you're near 500 psi.

Time and practice will solve these little problems.

TS&M is exactly right about the anticipation part. As soon as you decide to go up, start dumping a little air and take a deeper breaths - you will start to ascend. Watch yourself as not to hold your breath but just breathe deeper. Once you go up a few feet, level off and hover for a while.

Keep doing this slow ascent until you manage the deep breathing/dumping air/level and hover process. Let us know how it works out for you.

Hi BR - You did great when we dove BHB and that was at 15-20 FSW depth the entire dive. I am surprised you are having the problems now. I thought you did wonderfully then.

But like everyone else said, try dumping a bit early and check your weight again.

As for breathing less air than your buddies and still having more air in your tank than 500 psi, once you are done with a dive free flow the excess air to get to 500 psi while you are in the water with your buddies. Now you can take a few extra minutes and do a weight check. It sounds like you have good buddies so I am sure it is not a problem for them to help you out while you are zeroing in on your weight.

As for the cork effect while at a safety stop, I too will dump my air early. When I know that I am ascending, I like to dump my bc when I am at 25-30 feet. Then I will use my lungs and fin up a bit to make sure that I am controlling my ascent and not the air in my bc. When I get to 18-20 feet, I will put a small burst of air in my bc just to get neutral if I need to (depends if I am diving wet or dry). This way, I am controlling my ascent. If I think I need more air, I put another small burst in, if I need less I let a bit out. Seems to work for me.

No matter what works for you, at least you are thinking about it and understand that the first 30 feet to the surface are the most dangerous for you. You recognize that the air in the BC is not an elevator and need to control it better. Keep practicing, it does get easier. I still think you are doing fantastic for "only 27 or so dives", I would never have known that!

Good point about emptyi

Lung control is great for instantaneous depth changes, etc., but when I am holding a stop, you want the breathing to be as easily and naturally as possible. Sitting there trying to keep my lungs as full or empty as possible for buoyancy purposes is annoying, and can lead to undesirable effects.

I shoot for neutral with about half-full lungs, so I swing slightly up with the inhale and slightly down with the exhale.

Yes and no. :blinking:
Only come up with less then 800 psi once ...(Being a woman my buddies breathe more air then I :D) .

So if you come up on fumes because one of them screwed the pooch and you had to donate, how is your weighting?

Hi BR - You did great when we dove BHB and that was at 15-20 FSW depth the entire dive.

That's markedly different than coming up to 15 feet from something rather deeper.

Thanks Henrik!! Once I figure out that pesky 18-20 foot issue, maybe I can master the 30-20-10 . . . :D

Yeah, I'm still hoping to stick those stops - one day :wink:

I did a bit of practicing on the platform some weeks ago. Just trying to do controlled 5' swings in depth. So for Dutch 25 - 20 - 25 - 20 etc. etc. The 5' is enough that I can't do it on lung volume alone - so I can't cheat :) The platform is nice for visual reference - but try to use your depth gauge as well. Also try to not overshoot your target depths so "ease up, ease down".

I was told of one advantage of horizontal for ascent/descent; you're moving a larger profile through the water than if you're vertical, so the water resistance to you moving is higher if you're horizontal. That helps slowing you down, giving you more time to react, vent etc.

Have fun,

Henrik

I had similar problems until recently. I had 14 lbs for my suit and worked pretty good except towards the end when my AL80 got light. So I figured I have it weighted just right. Until this Saturday when at the second dive I forgot to move my 4lb tank weight from used to full tank and went diving with 10lbs. Mid dive I realized that I forgot to move the weight and that I am diving with 10lbs. (This was my dive #45.)

At the end of that dive I stayed down at around 20ft until I dropped well below 500psi and I managed to still stay down without drifting up.

So good thing for me is that I realized I didn't need those 4lbs. On top of that at 15-20ft I don't need any air in my BC. So this works better. Makes me happy.

I took couple of dives yesterday with 10lbs and works good so far. I am happy.

Hi BR - You did great when we dove BHB and that was at 15-20 FSW depth the entire dive. I am surprised you are having the problems now. I thought you did wonderfully then.

BAAARRRBBB!!! Hey girl!

I had such great buoyancy for all my dives in saltwater that I thought I had mastered things (those were my dives 10-21 too!). Then I got back to cold fresh water in a 7 mil and it all went to hell in a hand basket. :shakehead:

I'll definitely try your tips and the others here. Hope all is well with you!

Back
Top Bottom