Just bought these

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry everyone for not replying. Been out of town teaching this weekend. It doesn't fix any problems at all. TSandM gave a good description of what the roller is for. It simply takes away the need for shoulder adjustments. You tighten the buckle and the shoulders adjust to fit without needing shoulder adjustments. As TSandM also said it makes it very easy to get in and out of. If you look at the Pterodactyl backplate (pronounced terodacty:), it has the exact same system except it is a permanent part of the backplate and therefore cannot be interchanged. These roller adjustments can be taken off of a SS backplate and put on an aluminum visa versa and can be used with most any backplate. The rollers attach to the bottom edge of the back plate. The shoulder harness is routed through the top slots of the backplate as it would normally be. Instead of routing the harness through the bottom slots, it is routed through the rollers. When you tighten the belly strap the harness pulls through the rollers and tightens the shoulder straps. It also helps you have a more customized fit to your particular frame. As far as the potential problem with the buckle coming undone...I have had that happen to me once and I didn't lose the harness. If it did I doubt you would loose your rig before you could simply reattached the belly strap. But how often does that happen. I have had alot of dives on my bp/w and have had the buckle come undone once. It will be basically a simple hog harness set up... Nothing but the harness and D-rings. For me, I have simply come to have a desire for less "stuff" on my harness and this system allows me to streamline the shoulder straps. I will post more pictures when I get the set up put together...Hope this answers some questions...

If you just want adjustable straps, why not just thread two d-rings into the the two lower corners of a plate with short pieces of strap and a keeper, and thread the harness through those? Much cheaper, I'd bet.

Where do you get these? How much? Whos B/P does it attach too without drilling new holes?

I put the rollers...pic on the first post...on my back plate and have been diving with them for about a month and a half. I wanted to try the rig out for a few dives before I posted any more about the adjusters. I have been very satisfied with the set up. They have worked great and no more need for shoulder strap adjustments. The harness is very comfortable and best of all allows a custom fit. They are also interchangeable. Some will like the set up and some won't. I'm just posting the pics of the rig for anyone to check out....You can click on the thumbnail to enlarge...

Have had several folks asking about the roller adjusters. If anyone is interested, you can purchase them from Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC. Call Jon at 252-726-9432...Feel free to PM me with any questions...

Could of used those today. 32 lbs in my Weight N Trim so I had to ballon up my suit for bouyancy and ditch the wing to get back onto the Whaler(16' is too high to squirt into with a full rig). My left elbow made a very nasty popping sound during the process of fighting the shoulder straps past the Michelin Man arms.

North Carolina, huh? Now, there's probably a lot of good machinery being made there, but I can't help but remember the time an old-timer in the machine shop handed me a mill bastard file and called it a "Carolina Milling Machine". Not to mention, like TS&M said, your buckle comes loose, the whole shebang comes off, and THEN YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!! Well, maybe I paraphrased a bit.

I wonder if you couldn't get the same functionality out of a simple no-moving-parts adjustment of the slots. Just open them up a bit, and remove the binding points. I got just the tool for that!

Actually, I've been using the same system now for a number of dives. The big advantage is that it allows tightening of the chest harness through the belt, almost effortlessly. They are VERY heavily built and you probably would experience plate failure before roller failure. The big advantage for me is that it's MUCH easier to get into my harness using my drysuit.

Unlike the OP, I use a split harness system that I made for a lower profile tighter fitting set-up. It allows tightening underwater or loosening above water by just pulling.

I'll post pics if anyone requests them...

BTW, George Purifoy is the guy who designed and is making them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom