Just bought my first Drysuit, what do I do for socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up some thick soft wool socks from the local Sport Chalet. The brand is Wigwam I believe.

I noticed that one layer didn't protect my feet enough when the suit compressed at depth. The folds and wrinkles of the compressed suit was causing some unpleasant rubbing on my ankles, so I double-layered the socks and couldn't be happier.

I have a very thick pair of wool socks I use for hiking and they work fantastic for diving. I'd say go by your local hiking store or Bass Pro and you'll find good socks there. Get a thick pair, or a liner and thick pair. For hiking I always wear liners, but for diving I never do. If you can't find a good thick wool sock then choose a liner to go with it, usually a thin polypro liner or some similar wicking sock.

I wear wool socks then a pair of DUI Thinsulate booties over those, yes I dive in Alaska.

What would you suggest for socks if you are allergic to wool? I have some wool socks available to me (my husband loves them), but I seem to be allergic to wool as the socks make my feet and ankles burn and I get a red itchy rash.
Would the "polartec" socks or "polypro liners" be good alternatives or do they have wool in them as well?

Yes Kittyjg, I had a couple of pairs of heavy socks by Patagonia from my sailboat racing days. They work great with a liner. No wool. And the liners have no wool either. Very warm.

kittyjg:
What would you suggest for socks if you are allergic to wool? I have some wool socks available to me (my husband loves them), but I seem to be allergic to wool as the socks make my feet and ankles burn and I get a red itchy rash.
Would the "polartec" socks or "polypro liners" be good alternatives or do they have wool in them as well?
Both are good no-wool alternatives.

You may be able to wear regular wool socks (or at least socks with wool content) with a polypro liner, however.

The best hiking socks I've ever used are Thorlos. (Which have some wool content) I'll be diving dry soon, and plan to wear a pair of heavy Thorlos, and I have some polartec socks that will go over them if things get too cold, and finally I can always wear liners. Considering the thorlos and liners keep my feet warm in freezing temps when snow camping, I'd be pretty surprised if they are inadequate for drysuit diving (at least, as long as it stays dry...).

Back
Top Bottom