Just bought a new BCD!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not familiar with Mares products but I have dove with and without the i3 before and I really prefer a BCD with i3. Very streamlined and easy operation....pull up you go up...push down you go down. No hose to fiddle with.
IMO...it is where all BCD technology should be headed.

I agree. Still haven't received the BCD yet though. Hopefully it arrives soon I need to get into the pool to try it out.

Just got this BCD finally. Will be trying it out in the pool tomorrow. Having a closer look now at the oral inflation and going through the (obviously updated) manual, it does say you can clean the inside of the BCD out through the oral inflator as well as the multiport. I took that multi-port off once to check it out and found it is the most awkward thing to try to screw back on. I hope to never take it off again. Will report back once I've tried it out. Everything so far looks good.

Well I took the BCD out for the first time today in the pool and I really only have one thought: I LOVE THIS BCD!!!

It performs flawlessly and gives great control while maintaining a streamlined profile in the water. Today's goal for me was to work solely on buoyancy and I have never been that perfectly neutral. I spent the entire dive doing laps around the perimeter of the pool only inches from the bottom and managed to stay off without any problems. Today's session was a big discover class so there were multiple instructors and I had told one of them that I wanted to try a certain skill and to find me at some point.

The skill was to have her hold my inflator open simulating the thing free flowing or something being caught underneath causing me to become very buoyant and start surfacing rapidly. I quickly pulled the dump valve on the right shoulder and did a disconnect underwater and exhaled heavily and stopped the ascent. I probably only went up 5 feet. After that I used the oral inflator to fill to the desired capacity and continued the dive. She and I both were very impressed on how fast you can rip the LP hose off the system especially considering you do it without looking and with one hand while the other is free to manage the dump valve.

The pocket are good and in a good spot (they're quite large too) and the knife location is good. I have a wenoka knife that fits the BCD. Lots of D rings to attach stuff to which is nice. There are lots of options. I had wondered how the oral inflator would be and after hearing the reviews on it being a bit flimsy I would have to agree to disagree. I thought for what it was it was quite good and adequate. I honestly thought it'd be even more light weight but it's fairly robust.

As far as post dive maintenance and cleaning there were no issues at all. I highly recommend you DO NOT remove the multiport as it's a royal PITA to put back on. Simply push the garden hose into the oral inflator and let the water run in. There was a bit of difficulty with this as the hose kept getting kinked but nothing to worry about. Likely just user error. Emptying it was also easy, fold it up, bear hug it while upside down and hold the oral inflator in the open position and everything drains out nicely.

As far as a first purchase of a BCD goes I am extremely happy with it and if I had 10 thumbs I'd give it 10 thumbs up (hell I'd give it more if I could). Highly recommend this to anyone. Fantastic piece of equipment. I'll never own a corrugated hose kind. Sold for life!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom