Just bought a new BCD!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XS-NRG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have now taken the first step to becoming a serious diver with the purchase of my first piece of gear. A new BCD. I opted for the SeaQuest PRO QD i3. Anyone else have this one and have any comments about theirs. I'm really looking forward to the inflation system. I'm not really a big fan of the current inflator/deflator. Was looking for something to dump air without having to get vertical too much and raise the inflator over my head hoping it's straight. Have had issues with those types and although I do get it to work I seem to waste alot of air either over filling or underfilling and trying to correct it. I usually get vertical, hit the bottom, kick up silit or somehow start to surface just with the motion of becoming vertical. I hope this system works as well as all the reviews claim.

pro_qd_i3_larger.jpg

YouTube vidz:
Aqua Lung Pro QD i3 BCD -www.simplyscuba.com - YouTube
Aqua Lung i3 Demonstration - www.simplyscuba.com - YouTube

Only question now is, how do you clean it? Usually with a regular style you push the inflation button and fill with some water from a hose and then orally inflate to swish water around. I suppose you could do that with the oral inflator or simply get the flush hose? If you did that how do you now drain the water? Would it come out the same holes the air comes out? Would you have to hold it a certain way to get it to drain properly?

The flush hose:
ac-111b-hose.jpg

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, this is on order and I don't actually have it in my hands yet. Hopefully in a week or so!!!

Last edited:
Though it looks to be a good-quality BCD, I'm curious about the inflator/deflator mechanism. It just seems like it'll cause confusion. You'll adapt to this system, but what happens when you travel without your BCD? You'll have to use a BCD inflation/deflation system with which you're not proficient (the standard). Then again, it's not that big of a deal.

I think the rest of the BCD looks great.

You don't neccesarily have to raise your head/ upper body to dump air out of most BC's with the normal inflator systems. Most regular BC's I've seen or used have at least a right rear dump valve (left rear on my wings). I rarely ever get out of the horizontal position to dump air. I just lift my right rump a little to make it the highest point in the BC (back inflate BC) & feather the cord to release the required amount of air for the buoyancy change. Since you have decided to go with that design of a BC (I'm not knocking it- whatever works for you), I would suggest you try to use it a few times in a pool to become accustomed to its uniques characteristics, before taking it to OW. As for cleaning the inside of it, it looks like the hose connects to the inflator lever. I would imagine you"ll have to depress the lever at the time it is being filled. I would think (but don't know) it would come out the same way.

Always fun to get your own gear :)

I can't answer your specific questions, but I remember reading a few threads on the various i3 BC's, so you might glean some additional information from the archives (I think the i3 is what signifies the lever dump, which is on a few different models.)

One thing I remember reading (in addition to people's "likes") is that it's possible to have something catch on the lever and "activate it" - either on the boat or while diving, so that might be something to be aware of.

I believe NetDoc (Mr. Scubaboard) is one person here who has dived one, and I think he commented in the other thread(s).

Blue Sparkle

I would suggest you try to use it a few times in a pool to become accustomed to its uniques characteristics, before taking it to OW.

Absolutely. That is already in the works.

As for cleaning the inside of it, it looks like the hose connects to the inflator lever. I would imagine you"ll have to depress the lever at the time it is being filled. I would think (but don't know) it would come out the same way.

That flush hose is an aftermarket add on for any BCD. I understand that you could use it to fill by just turning the water on and pulling the lever upward. I'm just curious as to where the water would then drain from.

It's in the manual - you take off the port where the inflator hose goes
http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/18347_ProQDi3.pdf

I would suggest you definately get in the habit of checking your BCD before jumping in the water. That thing looks like a failure point to me.

I was searched quite alot online and actually found the manual too and saw how you fill it up. Honestly, I think this is a major strike against this BCD. You need to make sure it's tight enough to hold air and not leak, but not too tight. I bet the screw portion is plastic and will wear very easily. It will certainly be part of my pre-dive safety check. Attach everything, then turn on the tank, then listen at that opening for escaping air. It also looks like you should have the i3 control section pressurized. I assume so that no water gets in it. If that's the case then I can't use that flush hose to fill up either. I'm going to speak to my LDS about this and get them to get in touch with the AquaLung rep to find out if the flush hose can be used. It does sound like you can drain water from the flat E-Valves. Maybe you can fill through the oral inflator too???

Will find out and will report back.

I am a seaquest BCD fan (we own 4 different models) but none have the low pressure inflator set up yours does. I have received only one report on this new design from a lady we dove with in Mexico earlier this year and she "liked it but was still getting used to it." I too will be anxious to hear how it works out for you. By the way- good for your for getting your own gear. Every diver should!
DivemasterDennis

Hello all, and congrats XS-NRG on getting your own gear. It makes all the difference in the world in boosting confidence and a divers comfort level in the water.
I own a Dimension i3 and love it. I have logged about 25-30 dives with it. My instructors used and loved the your model. It appears the i3 models work all the same.

With regards to mine...
I have tried filling it with the oral inflator hose (huge pain but maybe I'm just impatient) and draining thru E-valves (again a pain but again...) I have found that unscrewing the oral inflator for filling, and dumping with it open seems to work very well for me. What I found to be best is to pressurize the BC after cleaning in order to ensure the hose is reattached properly and tightened adequately. The plastic threading does concern me a bit as I tend to over tighten things way too much (fingers always crossed). This is the voice of experience speaking because I have been in the water before and had it leaking air. Luckily it was a simple fix in calm water (remove and reattach). The parts for any repairs are free (don't know if from the shop alone or Aqua Lung) so I don't lose any sleep over it.

At the risk of being cliche...I would spend some quality time with your local dive shop and familiarize yourself with your new equipment prior to OW dives.
mselenaous said it best... Now go diving!
04.gif

Dive safely! Dive often!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom