Just bought a new BCD!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. I will let you know Dennis!

Hello all, and congrats XS-NRG on getting your own gear. It makes all the difference in the world in boosting confidence and a divers comfort level in the water.
I own a Dimension i3 and love it. I have logged about 25-30 dives with it. My instructors used and loved the your model. It appears the i3 models work all the same.

With regards to mine...
I have tried filling it with the oral inflator hose (huge pain but maybe I'm just impatient) and draining thru E-valves (again a pain but again...) I have found that unscrewing the oral inflator for filling, and dumping with it open seems to work very well for me. What I found to be best is to pressurize the BC after cleaning in order to ensure the hose is reattached properly and tightened adequately. The plastic threading does concern me a bit as I tend to over tighten things way too much (fingers always crossed). This is the voice of experience speaking because I have been in the water before and had it leaking air. Luckily it was a simple fix in calm water (remove and reattach). The parts for any repairs are free (don't know if from the shop alone or Aqua Lung) so I don't lose any sleep over it.

At the risk of being cliche...I would spend some quality time with your local dive shop and familiarize yourself with your new equipment prior to OW dives.
mselenaous said it best... Now go diving!
04.gif

Dive safely! Dive often!

So either way can be done then eh? I spoke to the LDS today about this and because they've never officially sold one they don't know but will talk to the rep about my questions too. How much water gets in there anyway? If the i3 is getting air directly and the flat e vales are one way check valves only letting air out then theoretically no water should ever be entering it right?

very little water ever got in mine. Even after like 10-12 dives. I just clean it because it is good practice. After investing so much money in it my wife has threatened my life so I figured I better take care of it.

As for Blue Sparkles comment about accidental activation...It can happen (though RARE & as it can with any other)....I have seen it happen...
to a dive buddy of mine (it was no fun trying to weigh her down to avoid uncontrolled ascent while trying to dump her air) so again I say get comfortable with your rig.

Good to know. I wonder if you could skip doing an inside rinse every other dive or something. Obviously hold it upside down and try to vent out the e valve and if something comes out then rinse the whole thing otherwise could you be safe to skip it once and do it the next time (depending on the timeframe between dives).

If you get a stuck lever and were ascending couldn't you just exhale hard, pull the dump cord and detach the LP hose from the i3 unit? Seems like the most logical steps, no? Would likely be a good idea to then end the dive at that point as well.

If you get a stuck lever and were ascending couldn't you just exhale hard, pull the dump cord and detach the LP hose from the i3 unit? Seems like the most logical steps, no? Would likely be a good idea to then end the dive at that point as well.

Sorry if I cause any confusion here. I have not seen the lever get "stuck".
I was talking about a hose or something getting caught on it and causing an "accidental inflation"
I would not imagine it would get "stuck"...seems like there would be a fail safe of some sort.

I've read about HP miflex hoses getting wedged under the lever and holding the lever up inflating. I would rip the LP off and cut off the air completely if there was a major problem.

The I3 system is really great. I love it! At first I had all the same questions. I switch back and forth from a standard inflator to my I3 and I never have any issues. Honestly I find it to be so much more streamlined. One less hose if ya know what I mean. As for rinsing it, I use the same technique as a standard powerline inflator. Pull back on the oral inflator and let fresh water in, then hold upside down to let the water out the same way it came in. Yes you can unthread the oral inflator if you want a more thorough rinse inside the bladder however this doesn’t need to be done after every dive. The plastic threads are very durable, the trick is when positioning the piece for reinstallation you need to make sure to move it from side to side until you feel it fit into the intended shape. Once you feel it settle into the correct position then proceed to threading the plastic bezel around the threads. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your I3 as I have. Happy diving to you

Is this similar to the design that the Mares HUB had years ago? Is it possible to orally inflate? I am a fan of Seaquest BCD's but I don't think I want this kind of inflation gizmo on my BCD... but I have never seen or used one so I maybe I just don't know the benefits.

The I3 system is really great. I love it! At first I had all the same questions. I switch back and forth from a standard inflator to my I3 and I never have any issues. Honestly I find it to be so much more streamlined. One less hose if ya know what I mean. As for rinsing it, I use the same technique as a standard powerline inflator. Pull back on the oral inflator and let fresh water in, then hold upside down to let the water out the same way it came in. Yes you can unthread the oral inflator if you want a more thorough rinse inside the bladder however this doesn’t need to be done after every dive. The plastic threads are very durable, the trick is when positioning the piece for reinstallation you need to make sure to move it from side to side until you feel it fit into the intended shape. Once you feel it settle into the correct position then proceed to threading the plastic bezel around the threads. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your I3 as I have. Happy diving to you

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

not familiar with Mares products but I have dove with and without the i3 before and I really prefer a BCD with i3. Very streamlined and easy operation....pull up you go up...push down you go down. No hose to fiddle with.
IMO...it is where all BCD technology should be headed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom