Just booked Peace for Sunday (6/10)! Anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since conditions have blown our planned Friday Night Malibu dive outta the water, I decided I couldn't wait much longer to get wet, so I just booked Peace for Sunday. Sailflow shows that the nasty gale-force winds will still be blowing through Friday night till early Saturday, but then they lighten up and by Sunday it should be a bee-yoo-tee-ful day out at the islands!

This time I've even managed to talk my hubby into going, so I've got a built-in buddy. Yay!

Anybody else joining us on Peace?

Yep I will be on board. Looking foward to it. Tried to go on beach dive last night at Redondo but the swell was rough and called it off. I did get in last weekend up at leo carillo. Do you ever go there? I liked it but the vis. was a bit bad that day.

No go for me. I have to entertain family members visiting SoCal. Dammit, why do they have to take vacation now instead of later?

MDR Mike - Welcome to Scubaboard! Charlie and I will see you on Sunday - look for the tallest guy on the boat. :) He's hard to miss. We'll both be in Halcyon gear, diving wet.

We've dived Leo Carrillo quite a few times, but to be honest I've NEVER had good vis there. I've had many great dives at lots of other Malibu beach sites, but I've just never lucked out at Leo. I know others have, but I kind gave up. Broad Beach is my favorite Malibu dive site, and we've been trying to plan Friday night dives there for some time now, but every time we get something going, the conditions blow it out. Right now there are gale-force winds just offshore, so you're not gonna find any decent beach dives in the LA area.

HT, sorry you can't make it this weekend!

Leejnd-cool should be fun on the peace! I will also be a tall guy and if wearing shorts you will easily spot me with a right below knee prosthesis with a dive flag sticker on it =) Hard to miss that one LOL
I sure would like to join you and anyone else on a Malibu dive when conditions are right. I have only done Leo like I said and Redondo. However if it were after work anywhere in Malibu would be fun as I work sort of closer in Brentwood and could get on the PCH in a hurry. Will chat more on the boat I am sure. Have a good friday.

Mike, will you be bringing a buddy? A friend of ours is considering joining us, and if you're buddy-less, you could buddy up with him. He's a commercial pilot and very safety-focused, so he'd be a great buddy.

There's a thread somewhere in this forum that I started about doing regular Friday night Malibu dives. I'll find it and bump it up to the top. We kinda dropped it because the conditions just weren't allowing it to happen. Now I'm busy for the next several weekends - I'm leaving for French Polynesia soon and won't be back until the 15th. I'm hoping that by the time I get back, conditions will have stabilized and we can start something up.

See you Sunday!

Yes buddy less. I always like diving with someone else safe. I have lucked out on past buddy less trips with ok divers but would happy to pair up with the guy you mentioned. Mike

---------- Post added ----------

btw french polynesia =) nice! how long is that flight? I am looking to go somewhere in the fall and was thinking somewhere in the carribean but worried about hurricanes in the fall (going early sept).

Mike, we haven't heard yet if John is coming, but if so then it looks like you got a buddy. If he doesn't come, you're welcome to join us for a team of 3, if you'd like. I have to warn you that I'll have my camera with me so I'm a horrible buddy - I leave it to Charlie to keep me in his sight as I'm all distracted looking for nudies and stuff.

It's an 8 hour flight from LAX to Papeete, Tahiti. French Polynesia is very different from the Caribbean - both are beautiful places and I've been to both, but I'm totally in LOVE with FP. To me, it represents true paradise. Only problem is that, while it's possible to find affordable vacations to the Caribbean, French Polynesia is absurdly, ridiculously expensive any way you cut it. We're going there because, well, we plan on eventually sailing there on our own boat. We're planning on taking early retirement in a few years, getting on our sailboat and heading off for several years of cruising, and French Polynesia is definitely on the itinerary. I've been there before but Charlie hasn't, so this vacation is a kind of scope-the-place-out-in-advance thing.

Another great day onboard Peace! Met Mike - really really awesome guy, and an inspiration. We also encountered another SoCal Scubaboard member - Steve Sammler. So Mike and Steve buddied up.

It was a full boat - 30 divers, the vast majority of which were OW students, so we knew we'd be visiting only shallow, easy sites. The last few times I've been to Anacapa have been a bit of a disappointment - currents & surge on the East end forced us to stick with the West end/back side of the island, which are really not very exciting sites - mostly jumbled rocks covered with urchins, little kelp, not a lot of life. Fortunately, yesterday the sea gods smiled on us enough to allow us to dive at the East end for two of our three dives. For the middle dive we headed up to the West end, but then back to the East end for the last dive. Hence, dives 1 & 3 were done in really lush, beautiful kelp forests, while dive 2 was the standard boulder/urchin fields. Vis was...well...eh, maybe 20 ft, lots of particulates. Dive 2 had the best vis, but there was just nothin to see!

Water temps were a little warmer than last time - around 57F for the first two dives, 54 for the third. I was trying out my new heated vest worn under my wetsuit, and it worked reasonably well, but there are limitations to its effectiveness - while it kept my torso toasty, the warm water didn't disperse to my arms & legs, which remained very cold (especially on that last dive). I'll write up a more detailed review on that item separately.

My new camera rig is now complete - I got the last piece of it this week (additional strobe arms) and I was really excited about finally getting out there with the full rig and see what I can do with it. Everything worked great, now I just need to work on my skills with lighting and strobe placement. Unfortunately there just weren't a lot of interesting subjects...just the usual stuff, no interesting or unusual critters. I did get a cool shot of a lobster getting cleaned by cleaner shrimp! Here are the best shots I got:

I saw several large ling cod
AnacapaIsland6-10-12.jpg

And various friendly rockfish
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-3-2.jpg

Not many nudies around, but I got a few lovely Spanish Shawl shots
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-3.jpg

AnacapaIsland6-10-12-5.jpg

And a cute little San Diego Dorid
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-9.jpg

This HUGE sheephead was following me around like a puppy dog! I think he wanted me to scratch him under his chin:
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-19.jpg

I like this shot because it shows the patch of algae that Gary Garribaldi is protecting
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-24.jpg

I really wanted to get a close-up shot of this Polyclad Flatworm, but this damn fish kept getting in the way!
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-26.jpg

This is my favorite shot of the day - first time I've noticed cleaner shrimp tending to a bug
AnacapaIsland6-10-12-21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom