Just back from Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from a 10 day trip to Maui and had a great time. We did a combination of shore and boat diving, and find that we really enjoy both for different reasons. Unfortunately we lost a day of diving waiting for a new refrigerator to be delivered, but it enabled us to run errands, go to the grocery store, etc. without feeling rushed, so it was all good.

Our condo is in Kihei, and our preferred boat operator is Ed Robinsons and we rent tanks from Maui Dreams, who we consider our LDS on island. We only went to Ulua and Makena Landing for our shore dives this trip because there were high surf warnings and a swell came in, making shore diving choices a bit more limited than normal. We had planned on diving Mala Wharf and Black Rock on the west side, but the high surf warnings had us staying south.

Boat dive sites were: Molokini Backwall, The Cove (Molokini back right side), Ene Nue, Red Hill (my favorite!), The Apartments, 85, Tank & Landing Craft, and La Perouse. We had great whale watching on all of our charters, including one where a whale went directly under the boat! Very cool! We also heard whale song on all of our dives, and were treated to FEELING the song vibrate through our bodies during one dive!!

Our "firsts" for this trip were sightings of a Reticulated Frogfish and a Lagoon Triggerfish. We also enjoyed seeing a Golden Enenue and one transitioning, sporting a gold face, which was neat to see. We saw two Bandit Angelfish, which are rare to see anywhere but Lanai, and an adorable, bright yellow baby Frogfish no larger than a quarter! I was happy to spend some time watching a Mantis Shrimp, my favorite creature, and we had many encounters with Green Sea Turtles, White Tip Reef Sharks, some dolphins, and a couple of Eagle Rays that hung out with us throughout an entire dive.

As always, I'm looking forward to our return to Maui for many trips in 2013! I'll post a link to my husband's photos once I've edited them.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

My daughter and I loved our dives on the inside of Molokini. Since our time share is near Ka'anapali we tried Lahaina divers. Hopefully by the time we return to Maui she would have enough experience to try the back wall Molokini and Cathedrals in Lanai.

Glad to hear you had great time. After all, who doesn't like diving Maui!

We used to stay at our timeshare at Marriott on Kaanapali Beach and did the drive every morning to Kihei to catch a boat charter to Molokini and S. Maui sites. We did our OW and AOW with Lahaina Divers and did all of our diving with them the first couple of years, but once we became more experienced, we started driving to Kihei to catch a charter so we would have a bigger variety of dive sites, and always felt it was worth the drive.

very timely report as we leave in 8 days ourselves and dive with Ed Robinson. Thanks for that.

Are the whales fairly plentiful at this point?

We saw whales on every dive (on the surface) and heard them underwater on every dive. February will be thick with whales, but you'll see them regularly while you're there. Have a wonderful time and please report when you get back. :)

Great report, will be there in 22 days!! Only doing shore dives this time around!! Staying in Ka'anapali. With as many ScubaBoard people going out the end of January we should all get together!

Jeff

Looking forward to the photographs! The last time we were in Maui, our diving was kept very simple and short, but that's because we were doing Discover Scubas for our grandson and Peter's nephew.

I'll also be in Maui for 18 days starting February 11th:D

Love those whale songs.

Staying in Kihei but haven't decided who I'll be diving with. I expect I'll be doing more than a few dives with Lahaina Divers as well. I don't mind the drive in the morning.

If anyone needs a dive buddy, let me know. For my wife this is a vacation with diving....for me it's a diving vacation.

Phil

As a boat captain for Maui Dive Shop I can tell you that EVERY charter in the winter is a whale watch combo! It's amazing! Check out the video...[video=youtube_share;rejnwCNcaoI]http://youtu.be/rejnwCNcaoI[/video]

Back
Top Bottom