Just back from Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great trip! We really liked the dive op. Our dive masters were Mateo, Jose and Norman. They were all great-felt more like diving with friends. Once they know you are able to safely follow your computer and had bouyancy control, they just sort of lead the way. We had little to moderate current. Columbia deep and Columbia shallows last week had no current at all. Loved the smaller boats-roll back is an easier entry. Take your BC off in the water and just walk up the ladder. There are no moarings so they want you to be ready to go when they get there-put your wet suit on half-way before you even get on the boat and set up as the boat is leaving the dock. Boat captains are pretty amazing when you think about it. No GPS - they just know exactly where to drop you off by memory-land marks.

The resort restaurant was just great. We only ventured out twice. (We went to La Mission in town - don't waste your time!!) Rooms were just fine - plenty of room. Showers always had plenty of pressure and hot water. Heard comments about hard beds and road noise. Beds were just fine for us and close your bathroom door and you won't hear the cars. There is a speed bump right outside the hotel and they slow down and then accelerate right there. It really slows down at night anyway. Also the construction next door is still going on, but it really wasn't too bad at all. We enjoyed the pool area almost every afternoon. We went into town 3 times - very hot this time of year so bring water, but it only took about 20 minutes.

Eva and Rob are the owners and are really nice people - we chatted with them quite a bit - very warm and friendly. The entire staff was genuine. You can tell they all treat each other well.

All in all, we felt like it was a liveaboard on land - very convenient. The other guests had been returning for years and we will too. We made some new friends and enjoyed diving and hanging out with them. Some said the dive masters are a little more attentive then Scuba Club Cozumel, which also looked nice, but I think their boats may be more crowded (?) We never had more then 6 divers. One boat had 13, but they were a group from Texas who wanted to be all together - great people by the way!!

Great trip - great diving - great staff!!!

enjoyed meeting y'all. i was with the Houston WW Group.

We were at Blue Angel and were going to Columbia Shallow last Tuesday for night dive on the No Problem. Just after the cruise ship pier they had engine trouble and had to stop and put water in radiator. Limped over to Del Mar Aquatics dock. I think one guy was ready to jump in the water in case of a flash fire. Filled up radiator and got back into the Caleta. Got the other boat and did Paradis instead. Could have been scary if there had been a fire. Found out cracked manifold and they had to pull the engine. they are evaluating options.

Kind of scary for a bit. They made us all move to the back or front of tbe boat. We didnt lose any dives though.

They were apolgetic. Gave us a free drink when we got back.

For Gordon and Cicopo from CZMInsider:
Terminal Construction Controversy
The environmental group Citymar has lodged complaints regarding the construction of the new ferry pier because of the backfilling of a sinkhole and destruction of chit palm and mangroves, which are both protected species. The head of Citymar stood in front of the heavy machinery to prevent further destruction in peaceful demonstration until reporters were notified and rushed to document the demonstration. A shopping center was planned for the area but was cancelled when Citymar cited the damage to the environment that would be caused, and that she is not against improvement of the port infrastructure, but only that the flora and fauna of the area is being devastated. The area is a natural storm drain, and filling it will create a flood situation. The Port Authority reported that the damage was caused by the construction company accidentally, and that a bridge will be built over the cenote to allow free flow of water.
----------------------

I've read on other forums reports that there is some controversy about whether or not the "bridge" is viable in terms of the weight it can hold and how fast the big trucks will be able to cross it to load and unload........they should never have messed with the cenote there, but obviously too late now.......seems like the old "build it first and then get the permits later" scenario........(sorry for the hijack.....).........Betsy

For Gordon and Cicopo from CZMInsider:
Terminal Construction Controversy
The environmental group Citymar has lodged complaints regarding the construction of the new ferry pier because of the backfilling of a sinkhole and destruction of chit palm and mangroves, which are both protected species. The head of Citymar stood in front of the heavy machinery to prevent further destruction in peaceful demonstration until reporters were notified and rushed to document the demonstration. A shopping center was planned for the area but was cancelled when Citymar cited the damage to the environment that would be caused, and that she is not against improvement of the port infrastructure, but only that the flora and fauna of the area is being devastated. The area is a natural storm drain, and filling it will create a flood situation. The Port Authority reported that the damage was caused by the construction company accidentally, and that a bridge will be built over the cenote to allow free flow of water.
----------------------

I've read on other forums reports that there is some controversy about whether or not the "bridge" is viable in terms of the weight it can hold and how fast the big trucks will be able to cross it to load and unload........they should never have messed with the cenote there, but obviously too late now.......seems like the old "build it first and then get the permits later" scenario........(sorry for the hijack.....).........Betsy
Thanks for the update, Betsy. When I was there they had already paved a pretty large area across the road from the site; is that where the cenote is/was? At the old site down by the southern cruise ship pier, there was apparently parking for the trucks on the same side of the road as the pier, but at the new site it has to be across the road because the road runs very close to the water there. Is that going to create a problem for traffic on Melgar every time a ferry comes in?

Hi hawkeye! It was nice to meet you, too!

Looks like the usual way they go about building things that aren't always in everyone's interest. I guess I'll have to pay attention to where this goes because the friends that went with us last trip had wanted to try Hotel Cozumel the next time we go. (We stayed at the Grand while they were there, but moved to Hotel Cozumel when they left to be close to Carnaval activities).

Looks like the usual way they go about building things that aren't always in everyone's interest. I guess I'll have to pay attention to where this goes because the friends that went with us last trip had wanted to try Hotel Cozumel the next time we go. (We stayed at the Grand while they were there, but moved to Hotel Cozumel when they left to be close to Carnaval activities).
I could be wrong, but I don't remember it as being that close to Hotel Cozumel. It's very close to the lighthouse.

If there construction noise at night it would bother our friends, and I'm pretty sure we'd hear it at Hotel Cozumel based on the other noises we've listened to over the years. I'd get by just fine, but I'm half deaf already (for real) but I'm not too sure I'd like the view changing to ferry boats running that close to us when using the beach club. Time will tell, which is why I'll be trying to see how things progress.
Now that we have Westjet flying to Coz in the winter and they are selling seats WITHOUT forcing us to either buy a full vacation package or go first class (which Air Canada seems to do) maybe we'll be able to book air & the hotel separately, and if so Blue Angel just might be in the cards.

They've paved a big area across the street from the site, too; I guess that's going to be for parking, container staging, etc.
It's a road the where building, they ran into a cenote. The bush is cleared now so you can see it from the road as you go by. Not sure how they are going to complete it.

It's just north of the lighthouse, I believe.

Actually, it's pretty much right at the lighthouse, but I found that it was far enough up the street that construction noise was never an issue, day or night.

Last year they were clearing land accross the street, for new condos. The year before that it was the rebuilding of the "hanger" dry dock next door.

The island has been on a constant growth spurt since I've been going there ('96?). Wilma may have kicked it in the pants some, but construction noise is nothing new to the island...

...I just let the sounds of the breeze blowing through the palm frons, birds singing, ocean lapping on the shore, dive boats buzzing by and tanks clanking, drown it all out :D

thanks for the report!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom