just as cold in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just started diving dry this year. Bought a whites shell suit and a bare 200 undersuit. I feel just as cold after my 2nd dive as i felt in my wetsuit. I went dry to stay warmer but sometimes I feel warmer in my wetsuit. The only thing I noticed is that my hood doesnt tuck in as well and my head is really cold. I know most heat is lost through your head, but it seems a littlefar fetched that my head making my body cold. The 200 should be plenty warm for me. Any suggestions?

Honestly I have never been warmer in my dry suit than in my wet suit. I am however instantly warm after getting out of the water in my dry suit and warmer during the SI if I don't take my dry suit off and it's cold outside. That helps you from getting even colder.

I honestly believe dry suits are a waste of cash for SOME divers in SOME situations. Many divers are lead to believe that they will always be warmer in a dry suit and that's not always correct. Ofcourse undies can drastically effect your warmth. Dry suits are great in the water but out of the water is when they really shine. A SI on a cold and windy day calls for a dry suit!

In my dry suit I feel the cold (water) as much as in a wet suit but its just not as penetrating as it was in my wet suit after a 1 hour dive. IMHO, a dry suit doesn't always keep one warmer but it does keep you dry and that should help you from getting chilled to your core longer.

Many positives and negatives for dry suit diving. I think most people should consider the type of diving they are doing before getting a dry suit and then decide. Most make the mistake of purchasing a dry suit just and only because they think it will keep them magically warm in 40 degree water and that's not the case. I frequently see people use the word "toasty" when describing how they feel in a dry suit and I laugh. Nobody feels "toasty" in 30 degree water in a shell dry suit after 10 minutes.

JMHO's.

You may try using dif undies and adding a little more air to your suit during the dive. May help a little. Are you using the bare ct200 (thinsulate) or the fleece version? The well fitting thinsulate should be a little warmer than the fleece. Fit is a factor as well. Snug and warm but not too tight to move is optimal. Baggie undies will leave you cold. Maybe adding a thicker expedition weight polypro long john may help too. Good luck!

Yes, keeping that head warm can make ALL the dif. I recently changed to a bare dry hood that fit better than my older 6 mil bibbed hood that I used with my old wet suit and I have been alot warmer for longer periods since the change.

Try adding a little more air to the suit. Its an insulator. Just as the water in a wet suit warms, so does the air in your suit!!!

You did not specify how cold the water was. The 200 gram may not be enough for you. How did you determine the 200 should be enough? Did you test it or was it based on info from some source? I have a fleece jump suit as well as a heavier quilted garment that came with my os systems hd pro. Sometimes the fleece is enough, sometimes it's not and I switch to the heavier or combine the two. If Iwas as cold in my dry as I was in a wetsuit I'd be getting heavier garments, adding an argon bottle, which I have for when it's really cold or seeing about getting my money back and getting a different suit. Also I'm not familiar with the whites system but don't they have undergarments specifically for their suits and if so why did you not go with them?

Over here we consider the Bare 200 to be a summer undersuit. -As in water temps suitable for wet suits. If someone told you this undersuit would be warm in cold waters they told you wrong.

What are the temps you dive in?

Back
Top Bottom