Just Another Sunday Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acooper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Nooo! It has been weeks and weeks since I have been in the water! This intolerable situation must be fixed! The realization was not welcome, but the solution was very nice... A Sunday dive at Mahukona.

We joined the usual crew under perfect weather at one of our favorite dive sites. Thomas, Kirk and Olivier had likewise felt the urge to get very wet and spend a morning under water. Just one of those idyllic Big Island mornings where the crystal clear water is irresistible.

We were not alone in our appreciation for the perfect conditions. The ladder on the old sugar wharf was busy, we waited while a flotilla of cute little girls climbed out past us. As we floated just off the pier and checked gear the flotilla passed us again, having jumped into the water and returned to the ladder, ready to repeat the process with the enviable energies only six-year-olds possess. A couple older folks were returning from a snorkel, and another diver was heading out. A first timer to Mahukona, we gave him directions to the wreck, where he dropped to explore the engine and other debris.

We headed further out, around the point and into the rich coral of the cove north of the harbor. Another long shallow dive, 40ft max, with an average more like 25-30ft. The shallow depth allowing for low air usage and a long dive, almost 90 minutes for Deb and I, our air getting low just about the same time.

Deb was actually taking more photos than I was. As I floated above her, she spent quite a time attempting to photograph the occupants of a large cauliflower coral head. After a few moments I realized that somehow we had reversed roles, it was supposed to be me mucking about with the camera. I just laughed and enjoyed hovering in the water column while she had fun below me.

Nothing special or dramatic was found along the way, only a few worth while photos. Everyone was relaxed and happy as we stripped our gear and piled it back into the vehicles. It was just another Sunday dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom