Just another Rec SCR....or is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who started on a Draeger Atlantis SCR, there are better and worse SCR designs, but once you factor in training, packing a scrubber, maintenance, etc I see no benefit to SCR, except being less likely to get a CO2 hit. And nitrox is not always available, O2 is available anywhere there is a hospital or construction/welding.

If you pack a CCR scrubber correctly a CO2 hit should never be an issue, and if you can’t pack a scrubber correctly, you shouldn’t dive any type of RB...

I almost went on an Exporer try-dive. Dude couldn't get the damn thing to even turn on. So he bought me lunch for wasting my time and away I went.

The Horizon seems like just another version of a crappy idea. Would I take one for free? Sure. Same as I'd take an Explorer for free. Would I pay good money for one? Nah.

I won't comment on the suitability of using an SCR. People have their opinions, most of them are simply personal preference proffered with thinly veiled confirmation bias. If you want to dive an SCR because you like it, great. But with the popularity of less expensive CCR's there really aren't any good reasons for diving an SCR short of an inability to get O2. At this point the only SCR I'd buy is a PSCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom