Just a simple survey...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba unit R&R is MUCH easier to do slowly with extra weight. Worth remembering for anyone doing DM skill circuit or IE.

For OW, some students have an reflex urge to bolt on mask R&R. Being overweight (lead not lard!!) and hanging on to them prevents them succeeding. Once the intial urge is over they can usually perform the skill no problem. It is a particular problem in cold water as it is quite a shock at the water hits your face.

Plus the extra weight gives the DM a little more work to do as they carry your kit around while you grab a coffee!!

How the heck do you get by wih 8Lbs and 5mm?

I'm 6'1" 230Lbs, with no neoprene I wear 12Lbs in salt water, with my 3mm full, shorty, and 6mm hood I wear 32Lbs. The suits are new and very buoyant, hopefully that will change after they have been compressed a few more times.

I was wondering the same thing. I am 5' 9", 150 lbs and I use 10lb in salt water with only a nylon skin. With a AL-80 @500psi and my BC stripped of air I am exactly neutral. And with a 7mm 2 piece, I use about 18 in fresh water.

I am 5'9", 185 lbs. With a 3mm unisuit I use 8-10 pounds in salt water with a camera/strobe.
Fresh water: 3mm with 95cu ft steel; no weight
Full 6mm with 95 steel/aluminum 80 14/18 lbs
Drysuit and Drager Dolphin rebreather; 30 lbs
(that is with an aluminum 50; with the Draeger 27cuft tank; 24 lbs
I will dive a little overweighted with classes or aluminum tanks. Reason is for the safety stop.
RonC.

I'm 5'3 and 130. When wearing my old 6 mil suit (or less) I wear no weight. Just got a brand spanking new one and have had to wear 2 lbs. But I'm diving on a daily basis in calm warm waters... comfort levels and water conditions make a huge difference as far as how much weight you need. And breathing technique is a big key as Jon T pointed out. I can't imagine how much weight I'd need for a cold, saltwater dip.... it's been 9 years since I've braved the cold Northeast ocean! Casey

it does require a little effort to get off of the surface but after that there are no ill-effects. i have even done free floating safety stops. if you would like you can take me diving(read:you pay) and i'll show you.

I dive with 21kgs,about 47lbs witha 5mm suit & booties unless I'm using a steel tank.Probably 1lb overweighted.I love to see the look on my divebuddies faces when they offer to carry it.It makes it interesting when walking to remote dive location all geared up.That's why I don't understand some of your light weight levels.Even little people I dive with use 6 - 8 kgs.Could you be confusing metric and imperial weights.As to the "lb" issue,yes you are correct on the french angle.I can't remember what the 'b' stands for.I used to know but I can only hold so much trivia at one time.gasman

Back
Top Bottom