Just a quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Father-in-law bought a cabin in the Lake of the Ozarks area (on the lake.)
Just wondering if there was any place to dive down there?

What I know of Lake of the Ozarks don't think I would want to dive there. Way to many boats and the vis would be all but zero. But I haven't been over there for awhile - now Beaver that is my choice locally.

Becky

I agree with Becky. I have never heard of a good dive story from there. I would drive a couple more hours and go to Table Rock down in Branson. If you need a shop while you are there, I recommend http://www.scuba-sports.com/

I hear the water in Lake of the Ozarks is not exactly what you would call clean, too. This should be varified, just in case.

There is what's left of a submerged town up-lake a bit from Tan-Tar-A, but I wouldn't dive it. Those cigarette boats are moving WAY too fast for diving to be safe.

Oronogo is about 3 hours (on mostly twisty, turny roads) from there, I think Table Rock is just about as far, except a bit farther south.

Lake Ouachita is a good place to dive in Arkansas

Thanks y'all. I picked up an info guide on the Lakes of the Ozarks and it didn't have anything in it on diving around there and you all helped to explain why.
Thanks again.

easyrider:
My Father-in-law bought a cabin in the Lake of the Ozarks area (on the lake.)
Just wondering if there was any place to dive down there?

I did some diving at Lake Ozark many years ago and it was almost zero vis back then and I'm certain it hasn't gotten any better, I would NOT recommend it to anyone! It's unfortunate for me since I only live about 45 minutes and know several people with cabins there but that's the way it goes. I agree with others about Table Rock and Beaver, I've heard good things about Oronogo too but I haven't been there. Another so-so spot a little closer is Stockton Lake, I dove it last Summer and it was okay but not nearly as good as the other mentioned. Other good dives a little farther away (1.5 hours from Table Rock) is Bull Shoals and Norfork.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom