First Rebreather Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who in here is saying the HUD is the primary ppo2 monitor? And just because it is not 100% effective, you want to say it's not necessary to have it then? Seat belts aren't 100% effective in every situation, but a lot of people are alive today because of them. A HUD is a secondary monitor that is used in conjunction with a handset or two handsets.
If you use it as a second monitor, fine.

Show me the "studies". I'm not saying I don't believe you but in modern times (esp in the US where everyone miraculously is now an armchair scientist who can fully understand the complexities of studies) when someone brings up "studies" to prove their point I highly second gues whether the studies actually exist or are accurate. Its become a gaslighting term since COVID imo.
Hell I took 4 semesters of medical statistics and I still find good studies complex even for my knowledge.

So please, with all due respect and not intending to be a di-k about it, I'd like to actually see these studies.
You are right to ask for studies and here are some after a quick Googling:

But we don't need these as you and I have been in situations where you suddenly realize that the brain has been in autopilot for a while and that the blinking or the non-blinking has not been processed.
I understand and share your opinion about the SW instructions but I think it is more an zero-to-hero instruction than a hud/no-hud problem.
Anyway, lets be safe in our diving and at least, here in SB, we are aware of all these perceptions-options and just that, I hope, makes us a bit more conscious of our limitations.

But we don't need these as you and I have been in situations where you suddenly realize that the brain has been in autopilot for a while and that the blinking or the non-blinking has not been processed.
I understand and share your opinion about the SW instructions but I think it is more an zero-to-hero instruction than a hud/no-hud problem.
Anyway, lets be safe in our diving and at least, here in SB, we are aware of all these perceptions-options and just that, I hope, makes us a bit more conscious of our limitations.
I only read the abstracts, but the use case for HUDs in those studies is pretty different to what I would view as the key feature of a HUD in CCR diving - a secondary/duplicate ppo2 alarm.

PITA with a helmet. Happy not using one for normal diving.

Do have a gag strap (Revo), but have removed it for convenience.

Helmet? Roller derby or cyclist?

I really like the simplicity of the hud and I think it’s pretty well designed. I basically just look for 1-2 flashes every cycle and if it’s flashing more than that I’ll decide whether to do something. I don’t really use the handset unless I’m changing depth rapidly.

[gag strap is a] PITA with a helmet. Happy not using one [a gag strap] for normal diving.

Do have a gag strap (Revo), but have removed it for convenience.
Helmet? Roller derby or cyclist?
Puzzling how helmets are uncommon in US overhead diving. Where do you keep all your backup lights or head torch for illuminating close up?

Thank you for not being offended I asked as it wasn't meant to be rude towards you. "Studies have shown" is thrown around so much nowadays as a way of shutting other people down, it's almost triggering. Because naturally it's from people who've never actually read a book let alone a scientific study.

I will take a look this weekend when I get some time.

Thank you for not being offended I asked as it wasn't meant to be rude towards you. "Studies have shown" is thrown around so much nowadays as a way of shutting other people down, it's almost triggering. Because naturally it's from people who've never actually read a book let alone a scientific study.

I will take a look this weekend when I get some time.
Of course not. You are perfectly right to ask for that. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no studies about HUD in diving situation and the studies I linked may not be bring a clear cut answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom