First Rebreather Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"know your ppo2"
it would be really cool if you had some sort of device in front you your line of sight to warn while your fiddling with lines and tanks and stuff-

I bet if a decent Hud was the norm a wrist mounted ppo2 monitor would seem secondary

it would be really cool if you had some sort of device in front you your line of sight to warn while your fiddling with lines and tanks and stuff-

I bet if a decent Hud was the norm a wrist mounted ppo2 monitor would seem secondary
Yes it might but if you read studies about HUD, you would see that they are not as efficient as we want to believe.
That the reason I am against this perception of thinking that HUD are a must. They are just an extra tool and to treat them as a primary "canary in the mine" is, to me, a false sense of security.

I used the Fathom HUD for a week. You'd win that bet, as it definitely became my primary [ETA, meaning quick, as I already knew the answer] source of PO2 info. I normally dive with a Nerd & Petrel; the Nerd is the primary monitor.

Next question!

What about HUD? The red/green light kind. The main computer will be petrel 3. It doesn’t seem like HUD is necessary for the diving I will be doing in the beginning. Maybe something to add later?
I am color blind so blinking green and red lights don’t help me - so I use HUD. Also, i like a number not additional mental calculations.

... and to treat them as a primary "canary in the mine" is, to me, a false sense of security.
Aren't they treated as a back up / duplicate ppo2 monitor, and not as a primary one?

So you still use your computer 99.9% of the time, and the HUD is there for the 0.01% case

Yes it might but if you read studies about HUD, you would see that they are not as efficient as we want to believe.
That the reason I am against this perception of thinking that HUD are a must. They are just an extra tool and to treat them as a primary "canary in the mine" is, to me, a false sense of security.
Who in here is saying the HUD is the primary ppo2 monitor? And just because it is not 100% effective, you want to say it's not necessary to have it then? Seat belts aren't 100% effective in every situation, but a lot of people are alive today because of them. A HUD is a secondary monitor that is used in conjunction with a handset or two handsets.

Hi
I think this kind of statement is wrong as it gives the impression that a hud is THE primary piece of kit.

The inflation in new equipment, the ease to access to these pieces pieces of equipment is all good even if sometimes I see it more as a market for "middle-aged-guy-having-a-middle-life-crisis stuff" in the same vein as buying the "dream-car" or going to instagram yourself on top of mount Everest.

But many people are forgetting the basic which is "know your ppo2" and no one should not have a device to remind you about that.

Rant over :)

(I don't dive a Sidewinder!)
of course there's more to the story. Point is imo a hud is a critcal part of diving a ccr. Its great to say everybody should know their po2, and I agree. But we are human and we f- up stuff all the time. A hud can save the life of a diver who's distracted by other things. Nobody's perfect. Unfortunatelty that leads to people dying. My point was there are alot of sw instructors who don't see a hud as valuable and I wholeheartedly disagree

Show me the "studies". I'm not saying I don't believe you but in modern times (esp in the US where everyone miraculously is now an armchair scientist who can fully understand the complexities of studies) when someone brings up "studies" to prove their point I highly second gues whether the studies actually exist or are accurate. Its become a gaslighting term since COVID imo.
Hell I took 4 semesters of medical statistics and I still find good studies complex even for my knowledge.

So please, with all due respect and not intending to be a di-k about it, I'd like to actually see these studies.

As a Nerd user with the primary being a Petrel2, the Nerd definitely gets more 'views' than the primary computer, but they're regularly cross-referenced.

Agreed that in the extreme case of a full silt out in an overhead, the Nerd may not be visible unless it's unhooked and pressed against the mask. Once in my diving career I've had this, but back on the line and wait for it to clear. I guess this is the one case where SCR drills would come into their own if you've a manual CCR and cannot tell the PPO2 (or better still, rely upon the orifice/needle valve and monitor loop volume as O2 is metabolised).

Interestingly, even with full and exceedingly simple access to the Nerd -- just look at it FFS! -- I've found that my (hybrid) rebreather has on more than one occasion given me the hiss of disapproval and reminder that I've been lax on the O2 monitoring.

Absolutely with @rddvet that a HUD is essential equipment. As humans we're too easily distracted.

Would like a future version of the Nerd to have a bright flashing warning light on it as the visual equivalent of haptic (vibrating) feedback. As long as it only goes off very rarely and is reset in the same way as serious warnings like low gas pressure or missed deco stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom