Jupiter Vs. West Palm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver,
Honestly, no I am not sure. I thought Bull and the consensus of the other divers who saw the shark was Bull. But, I am the one who asked the others because I wasn't sure...

there always seems to be at least one pretty big lemon there lately. Lemons are long and thin and have a second dorsal that is almost as big as the first. One of the few sharks, I am pretty confident that I can ID.

I love both Jupiter and WPB diving (actually, I love all diving from Jupiter down to Key West).

WPB has several shallower sites, in the 60 foot range, and the reefs tend to be a bit more colorful than those in Jupiter: I am thinking about the Breakers Reef sites as I write this. WPB also has some deeper sites like the Double Ledges which are 90 feet in the sand and hence, less colorful. However, if you shine a light on the deep WPB sites or Jupiter sites, the reef colors will 'pop'.

In my opinion, you are almost guaranteed to see sharks, turtles, goliath groper and green morays when diving in Jupiter on any two tank trip. In WPB, I almost always see turtles, southern stingrays and morays but don't tend to see as many goliath grouper unless I am on a wreck and I almost never see sharks (except nurse sharks and an occasional reef shark that is just barely on the edge of visibility). The lack of seeing sharks in WPB could simply be the luck-of-the-draw because I know they are there. I also tend to see more of the smaller morays such as spotted, purple mouth and goldentail, in WPB compared to Jupiter: but they are also resident in Jupiter.

I generally think that WPB is more 'fishy' with tropicals, but in saying that, there are some dives sites in Jupiter that have abundant fish life and there are a few spots in WPB that are almost devoid of tropicals.

In the last two weeks I've dove with Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventure and The Scuba Club (first time out with them in about a year) and had a fantastic time with both. I too like Jupiter Dive Center and most of my non-Keys dives have been with that operator because I live fairly close to the shop and they do a nice job and if you prepay for your dives, you get a nice discount: e.g. prepay for 6 trips for the price of 5 trips.

In my mind, you can't go wrong with either Jupiter or WPB. I'd only steer towards Jupiter if your main interest is peligics.

Two other observations: try Blue Heron Bridge at high tide... its a great 'muck' dive if you like to see unusual and small critters. Boynton Beach also has some really nice 60-70 foot reef systems too. On this trip, or the next, give some thought to Boynton

Good post. This pretty much sums it up. I would suggest though, if I had a chance to do another boat dive to a wreck or reef in the area, I would take it over the BHB.

If you dive WPB, try Little Deeper Charters. Capt. Dave and Lynn make everyone on board feel like family.

Well, as you would expect, my wife is always in search of turtles, while I personally like the sharks. I have never seen a bull shark and quite frankly am not sure if i want to. I guess if I do, I'd rather see it first before it sees me:wink:. Really what I am looking for here is reef color, typical depth of dives, general sea life and abundancy. I know that seeing a hammerhead or even a turtle is a crapshoot, so I am just looking for general opinions of the dives. Lets narrow it down to Jupiter diving vs. West Palm Beach. Hard to compare the Keys, but it is a different type of dive. Also, I know they are both drift dives so we'll take that as a given.

I do pretty much all of my diving with my father out of Palm Beach or Jupiter. Both have some very good spots. Breakers being one of the more popular spots. However, I have come to love Jupiter's diving because of the deep ledges (up to 145 ft.) in an area that has been referred to as "Upside Down". It has ledges that has are about 80' at the top and 140'ish on the side then drops off to even deeper. You have a good chance of seeing some turtles and a 99.999% that you'll see numerous 6'+ bullsharks and reefsharks. But from reading thats too deep for you guys, so I would just hit up some of the locally poplar spots, with Area 51, Governor's Wreck, and the Tunnels (I like Tunnels a lot) all being good choices. Although, if I had to pick a spot for you I'd say one of the spots off the Breakers like Flower Garden or 4th Window would be great.

Either way, so long as you get on a good boat, you're gonna see some great stuff.

PS- If you do so I would also recommend Little Deeper as a charter.

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. It gets me stoked just reading them. Cant wait! We decided to go with Pura Vida out of WPB on the suggestion of a fellow scuba board member we met in Juno in January. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is great, visibility is as far as the eyes can see and everyone on the boat has a great and safe time! Also, we show up the day Turtle Fest is going on, so you know where we will be on Saturday. Then for the best wings in the U.S. at the Thirsty Turtle.

I have done many dives at WPB and have enjoyed them all. I do enjoy all the reef dives, the wrecks less so. Planning my first Jupiter dive next month so can not compare. I have been with 4 different dive boats and liked them all. Narcosis probably has the best boat but Walker and Abernathy also good. Loved the crew of Pura Vida but found their boat a little harder to maneuver around. I have to humbly disagree about BHB. At high tide it can be an incredible experience and very different from a reef or wreck and you can't beat the price! It also makes a great night dive! Enjoy!

I know this is an old post, but I'm going to kick it up anyway :)
I've never seen a shark while diving, so I would be very excited if I do next week in WPB. I'm thinking of going to Jupiter, but I'm only Open Water certified (18meters max)
is Jupiter the place for me then? Not to deep? Or can I also see some sharks and turtles at WPB/Boynton were the reefs are less deep :) ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom