Jupiter diver in trauma center after ‘upper extremity’ injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've actually spoken to Randy about this

Entirely out of idle curiousity: what'd he say? I guess for a shoulder/elbow-length one you'd have to visit your local SCA chapter's meet-up and talk to their armourers, but AFAIK they do all sorts of fun stuff: riveted Al, butted Ti, welded steel... Probably costly but compared to hospital bills, lost work, etc. (chopper gas bill?), I expect you could buy two, pay double, and still come out ahead.

So basically captains are just dicks.
Yes, and also maybe concerned for their reputation. I'd far rather be thought of as a dick (I am) than as someone who will just take anyone with a credit card diving (I'm not). You can't just pay your way into and out of any situation, and we've heard enough horror stories about those who run their businesses "pay to play" that the more reputable of us don't want any part of that shitshow.

From the files of for what it's worth, I think tekkydiver comment about being "grossly overweight" were meant in jest. At least that is how I read it since it was followed up by a "Seriously though".
If I misinterpreted the tone of the post, I apologize. The guy's in the hospital after a major accident and I've read a lot of criticism of him and his trade on FB and on here; and it was really bothering me.

He doesn't deserve to lose his arm, though it is hard to feel sorry for someone that tempts Murphy and Darwin too many times.

Last edited:
Entirely out of idle curiousity: what'd he say? I guess for a shoulder/elbow-length one you'd have to visit your local SCA chapter's meet-up and talk to their armourers, but AFAIK they do all sorts of fun stuff: riveted Al, butted Ti, welded steel... Probably costly but compared to hospital bills, lost work, etc. (chopper gas bill?), I expect you could buy two, pay double, and still come out ahead.

I started to comment on this and then decided maybe it wasn't my place and cancelled, or thought I did. Then I commented on something else and didn't realize it was still part of the draft or whatever. Basically, the short version is he said something along the lines of maille providing a false sense of security.

If a Captain wants to tell me that he does not think I am ready for a certain dive, I will ask him why and listen carefully. I might learn something. I have zero desire to risk disaster because of something missing in my skillset and mindset or choice of equipment that I am not aware of.

Or to paraphrase, when diving, A captain has the right to thumb any dive or any diver for any reason.

As an aside, I'm slightly worried that many of you think it's safe to stay on your sofas! Sounds like a recipe for obesity, cardiac problems and an early demise to me (70 years old, 200 pounds, 6'4")!

I started to comment on this and then decided maybe it wasn't my place and cancelled, or thought I did. Then I commented on something else and didn't realize it was still part of the draft or whatever. Basically, the short version is he said something along the lines of maille providing a false sense of security.

OK. That is a somewhat valid argument and I can see how it won't help with crush force and may not completely stop the puncture wounds. I'd expect it to be good against severed tendons and shredded blood vessels though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom