Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screenshot_20210121-112719_GoPro.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-112429_Photos.jpg
On Jan 17, I dove Lemon Drop with Jupiter Dive center.

Cold day, the morning air temp was in the mid to high 50's. Luckily no wind. Seas around 2 ft, temp 74F, viz 60.

Sadly almost no lemons on lemon drop. Last year we were greeted with about 8 to 10 lemons swimming close by and bumping us for entire dive at about 70 ft. This year we only saw maybe 3 lemons swimming as they usually do close to the bottom at 90 ft. Another diver saw a hammerhead at the start of the dive.

The highlight of the dive was around the 40 minute mark I noticed a bunch of smaller fish swimming by really fast, so I had hopes of finally seeing a group of lemons.
Well, it wasn't lemons, it was 2 huge bullsharks (9 to 10 ft) and they were not shy at all. They were swimming close to us, and below us at times. Good thing no one was spearfishing, because they were definetly coming in for a closer look.

2nd dive was scarface, and we saw the usual critters, plus a loggerhead napping under a ledge, a GG, couple of lemons and 3 nurse sharks.

1 outing, 3 species of sharks ; 4 if I would've seen the hammerhead!!!

You never know what's underwater on any particular day, but I think that's always half the fun!!

A few short videos from yesterday on Kyalami.

1’ seas, trickle N current, 73F, 50-70’ viz, beautiful day topside!

Great vids, Jim! Thanks for sharing. Conditions looked great. I was diving in the Keys this weekend but kind of wished I had stayed up here after watching those vids.

View attachment 637691 View attachment 637690 On Jan 17, I dove Lemon Drop with Jupiter Dive center.

Cold day, the morning air temp was in the mid to high 50's. Luckily no wind. Seas around 2 ft, temp 74F, viz 60.

Sadly almost no lemons on lemon drop. Last year we were greeted with about 8 to 10 lemons swimming close by and bumping us for entire dive at about 70 ft. This year we only saw maybe 3 lemons swimming as they usually do close to the bottom at 90 ft. Another diver saw a hammerhead at the start of the dive.

The highlight of the dive was around the 40 minute mark I noticed a bunch of smaller fish swimming by really fast, so I had hopes of finally seeing a group of lemons.
Well, it wasn't lemons, it was 2 huge bullsharks (9 to 10 ft) and they were not shy at all. They were swimming close to us, and below us at times. Good thing no one was spearfishing, because they were definetly coming in for a closer look.

2nd dive was scarface, and we saw the usual critters, plus a loggerhead napping under a ledge, a GG, couple of lemons and 3 nurse sharks.

1 outing, 3 species of sharks ; 4 if I would've seen the hammerhead!!!

You never know what's underwater on any particular day, but I think that's always half the fun!!

I was on Lemon Drop last Saturday and we dropped on 6-7 lemons and then only saw one or two the rest of the dive. Allegedly there was a hammerhead in the water too but of course I missed it.

The logger heads have been out in good numbers recently.

5E051F27-A636-4459-99D5-4BBF39E7584A.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom