Junior open water certification To Open Water certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that navigation gets a short deal and I think that 'some' classes don't deal with buoyancy and trim as well as they might. I think that 4 dives for OW totaling, perhaps, 80 minutes is a little short. I think that students are often (NOT always) left overweighted. I think the 4 dives are just the beginning of a training program.

I realize that OW tries to touch on a lot of subjects but I just don't think the 4 dive format is enough training. I think that AOW and Rescue add a lot to the program. But even then, navigation doesn't get much attention until it is done as a specialty and the same goes for any of a number of topics including search & recovery, night diving and deep diving (although I am not a fan of depths beyond 60' for Jr Adv OW).

In the old days, the NAUI program consisted of Open Water I, OW II and Advanced OW. By that point, a diver had done a number of supervised dives and had developed a lot of skills. Navigation and search & recovery were covered in depth (pun intended) as was deep and night diving along with some amount of rescue. A complete rescue course was essentially the only 'specialty' and everything that is now considered a specialty was included in the 3 program sequence.

I believe the 4 dive format is a little short. But the 'market' has decided that it is what it is. It's just that I believe it is a little light.

The 4 dive format does cover the essential safety skills: mask R&R, CESA, air sharing, a very limited amount of navigation (which can be formidable in limited viz, there's a reason I know this) and touches on rescue. But it's still just 80 minutes underwater. There's a limit to what can be covered.

So, that's my opinion...

Richard

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom