June 2021 Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mrs wants white sand beaches, so plans changed.
6/18 - 6/28
Airbnb-Residencia Reef
Living Underwater

You can erase Aldora from mine, never diving with them again until I get an apology for the BS they pulled on me and my friends last week.

You can erase Aldora from mine, never diving with them again until I get an apology for the BS they pulled on me and my friends last week.
Please shed some light on this...

- I called in on Wed, talked to Miguel at the front desk about diving on Friday, told him we only wanted to go if we could dive outside the park to hunt lion fish
- Miguel says great, we have another couple that wants to do the same, I say great, i will call you back Thursday night to confirm
- I call back Thursday night, confirm with Miguel our hunting plans outside the park and meeting time. All agreed, no changes, no surprises.
- We show up Friday morning at 7:25 at the aqua safari pier, there are 3 boats there, 2 of them loaded with a bunch of people I recognize from other hunting trips.
- Miguel points us to another boat with an older couple in it, all rental gear, plus some DM I've never seen before and tells us this is our boat. No spears anywhere. I reminded him that we had multiple conversations about this trip, one less than 12 hours before, and this was not what we agreed. He looks very confused.
- He tells me he will go find some spears and that we can probably find some fish in the park, which is where this current couple wants to dive. :rolleyes:
- I laugh and tell him no, we aren't hunting in the park because first, it's illegal, and 2nd, all the lion fish have gone way to deep for casual diving . He says maybe we can find some at Devils Throat.
- I again reiterate that this is not the trip we agreed on and and they can fix it or we can leave. It was not fixed. So we left.
- I emailed them and asked for an explanation. No response. Crickets chirping.

I can't speak to Horn24's experience, but I have been on many lionfish hunting trips with Aldora. I suspect that it will be more difficult if you are diving with them on a one-off day trip since many of those sites are outside the park and in more advanced dive locations where the conditions are more variable and potentially difficult. One method to ensure you get at least some lion fish hunting is to sign up for one of Aldora's diving adventures, which is a three dive trip (normally north). The challenge to this is they need a boat with enough people to make the trip worthwhile. The issue lately is the lion fish have been hunted heavily (which is a good thing) and I have been on hunt dives where we don't see even one lionfish to poke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom