June 18-30 Cozumel Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownAZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Preface
June 13 was my inlaws 50th wedding anniversary which my wife (Eileen) and her 4 sisters threw a big party for. My wife did so much work for this party plus her normal job plus her side job she had no time to get ready for the trip. In addition we had 13 yes, 13 extra women staying at our house for the party so with entertaining them and working I didn't have a lot of time either.

I have always wanted to do underwater video, we have a still camera that I enjoy but video looks cool, unfortunately $600 for a cheap housing is out of my price range. So after a little research and time out in the garage I have made a housing for our camcorder. I have tested it in the sink it was dry after 6 hours now I am anxious to try it in the ocean.
P6180072.jpg

P6180070.jpg

We write trip reports for ourselves to document our vacations, I figure that while I am writing it I might as well share it with others as there might be something that helps somebody, So this may not be the most entertaining or well written trip report but I will try to be detailed.

Day 1
Our flight out was a 5:00AM so we left the house at 2:45 needless to say we didn't get much sleep. I (Steve) work the 5am-5pm shift so I don;t sleep at night much anyway. One of my sis-inlaws was still at our house so she took us to the airport. There was almost no line at checkin so we were at security by 3:30 where we waited until 4:00am when they opened. From PHX to Houston to Cozumel arriving at 3:00 a little late due to a mechanical problem on the plane in Houston. Immigration and customs were quick we got the green light. The mom and daughter sitting next to me got the red light. Out to the curb to the shuttles past all of the time share people it was $8 each to Hotel Cozumel and Resort. There was some confusion about where we were going I was calling it “Hotel Cozumel” they were calling it “ and Resort” I think. So I just said sure thats were we want to go and if it isn't I'll catch a cab back to it. The couple that had sat next to my wife on the flight were on our shuttle they have been coming here for years its our first time so after talking awhile we got there dive shop info since this was another thing we had not had time to plan properly. After about 15 min drive dropping everybody off we arrive at hotel Cozumel AND RESORT. At first glance its a pretty decent looking place. We had paid $1500 for air for 2 and 12 nights here so I wasn't sure what to expect. Checking was easy and quick. They gave us towel cards, room key cards and a key on a lanyard for the safe, kind of a pain to keep track of all that stuff. Up to the room, the floor was flooded from the air conditioner. When the bell boy showed up he called down and got our room changed so we went to the second room set everything down again, they couldn't find a safe key for this room then to the third room, everything was good here. The rooms are standard hotel rooms no microwave or fridge. They do have a coffe maker and bottled watr in the room plus water coolers all over the hotel property. The wife unpacked I called Aquatic sports, (base aquarama 872-0640). I also checked the internet in the room, boom up and running with a nice quick FREE wireless signal.

Later we walked down to Chedarau sp? to get some pesos. From there we walked to Los Otates for dinner.
P6180039.jpg

P6180040.jpg

P6180044.jpg
We talked to a guy in one of the shops he said they didn't open until 7pm another guy we asked said they were open only for lunch the sign out front at Los Otates says noon til 4-am. WOW the food was awesome, we had 3 gringas, 3 arrachera, and 3 el pastor tacos between us plus a XX and Manzanita for 136 peso, which is about $10, great food at a great price. Definitely makes me feel better about not going all inclusive. On the trip back we stopped at ice cream shop on the water front next to hotel barricuda yummy ice cream cones for 20peso for a 1 scoop.
P6180046.jpg

P6180047.jpg

This is the only ice cream shop we have found so far. After the ice cream we stopped and watched the sun set next to the Prima Tratoria, It was kind of neat a dad and little boy were out fishing from the shore, it was fun watching them together. Then back to the room finished unpacking, got everything together for diving. Then in bed by 9pm. It is now 4am and I am up writing a trip report.

Impressions, The place seemed very empty of tourists. Saw one other guy in a shop looking to buy stuff. Los Otates had a family of 3 eating when we got there and was empty when we left, there were 4 people working. People are very friendly and helpful. Weather is perfect.

Day2
I got up early 3-4am started with the trip report. Finally drug the wife's but out of bed at 7:45. We had to be at the dive shop at 8:30 so we scrambled around getting everything together had our usual breakfast of a protein shake. And made it to the shop on time got signed in met Sergio our Dive Master (dm). We met the rest of the divers at the boat. There were 7 of us with 2 dms, the boat looked like it could handle 10-16 so there was lots of space. It wasn't the fastest boat as we were passed by a couple other ops, but it was comfortable. The first dive was Palancar gardens. Very nice dive with a good assortment of fish and corals. Water temp was 82. Both the wife and I had problems clearing our ears so we stayed at 40 ft for the forst 10 min, then were able to go down to 60 with the rest. Took the video camera housing empty to test for leaks, I was excited that it was leak tight. About half way thru the dive 3 of the divers split off with the 2nd dm. We kept going until I was at 700 the wife was almost dry but we were at 10-20 ft and I was having a hard time staying down so ended the dive. The surface interval was awesome. Fresh gaucamole, the best Pico de gallo I have had, chips, sandwiches, melon, pineapple, mango. It was a great spread. The second dive was 35-45 ft I don't remember the name but it was very enjoyable. Saw a ton of queen, french and gray angel fish. A huge hermit crab, several file fish. The exciting part was taking my camera housing. It worked great, but the videographer(me) sucked its going to take a little while to get used to framing, and distance underwater. IT was a great experience diving with aquatic sports and look forward to the rest of our dives. They are a little more expensive $75 vs $60 at some of the others but I really enjoyed them and there level of service and felt very safe but not to hemmed in.
DSCF6346.jpg

DSCF6347.jpg

DSCF6349.jpg

DSCF6351.jpg

DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6377.jpg

DSCF6387.jpg

DSCF6393.jpg

After the dive we walked up to Chedaru sp? Again for some more cash since the dive op only takes cash. From there we walked to Mission restaurant on 30th between 2nd and 4th. The wife had the Mexican chicken very good, I had the Mexican combination plate it was good but not great, with the exception of the chile relleno which was incredible. Dinner 2 XX an 2 Manzanita was 215 peso. We had originally tried to go to El Picque but they were closed after dinner they were still closed with there roll up doors ½ open this was about 6:30. Got to find out what time they open!!! Stopped at the waterfront for the sunset on the way back then stopped at another ice cream shop. 30 peso for a single scoop cone I had a vanilla with caramel and chocolate that was incredible. Being the party animals we are we were in bed at 9 again.

Edited: The poster below claims that I was harsh. Sorry, don't think I was, but more so - didn't mean ot be.

If I can help you with loading future pics so that they do not stretch the thread width, or anything else, please do let me know.

thank you

Last edited:
Wow--kinda harsh DD. no?..........I have no problem "scrolling" to the side...........and hoping that you finally got to El Pique and looking forward to the rest of your report!.............Betsy

Wow--kinda harsh DD. no?..........I have no problem "scrolling" to the side...........and hoping that you finally got to El Pique and looking forward to the rest of your report!.............Betsy
Harsh? :confused: Eh, withdrawn.

Edited: The poster below claims that I was harsh. Sorry, don't think I was, but more so - didn't mean ot be.

If I can help you with loading future pics so that they do not stretch the thread width, or anything else, please do let me know.

thank you

The photos are uploaded to fit a 17" monitor. I figured everybody (except laptop useres) would have a 17" at least. What size would you recommend? I am working off of a 10" netbook so its hard to get a feel for size. At home Its a 24"wide screen and a 19" which also makes it hard to know what works for others.

Have a couple videos uploaded I can't view them myself whether it is because of the internet speed or the processing power of this netbook I'm not sure. They are at
Cozumel June 09 pictures by diverdownaz - Photobucket along with the other photos i've uploaded but didn't include in the report.

The photos are uploaded to fit a 17" monitor. I figured everybody (except laptop useres) would have a 17" at least. What size would you recommend? I am working off of a 10" netbook so its hard to get a feel for size. At home Its a 24"wide screen and a 19" which also makes it hard to know what works for others.
Do the pics not stretch your thread on your Desktop PC...?

SB has a Photo Gallery, but it's so problematic that I hadn't tried it lately until today - and it's down again. Some V-boards like SB include software that will limit photo width to 700 wide automatically, but for some reason we can't do that with all of our other features. For Photobucket, you can change your default settings to 640 wide and use the IMG codes from those uploads.

Or, I usually use thumbnail pics which can be accessed with this link SH-03.jpg on most postings for fastest page loading and the option for the viewer to Right-click to open pics in a New Tab. Whichever method you choose, I didn't mean to sound "harsh," but I am stoic by nature, short on words at times, and seem so at some I suppose. :shakehead: Wish I'd left my original post up with [-]line-thru[/-] followed by my apologies if it did you you too.
Have a couple videos uploaded I can't view them myself whether it is because of the internet speed or the processing power of this netbook I'm not sure. They are at
Cozumel June 09 pictures by diverdownaz - Photobucket along with the other photos i've uploaded but didn't include in the report.
You can use the Photobucket direct link url to connect to your vids, or - upload at Vimeo and show the vids live in the thread. Let me know if you'd like some help posting those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom