July '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

La Jolla Shores/ Secret Gardens
Dive start time: 1948
Bottom Time: 52 minutes
Max Depth 103ft
Avg Depth 49ft
Temp on the Surface 69F
Temp at Depth 51F
No surge, no current
Incoming tide with light to moderate surf.

NO RED TIDE!!!!

Here are the pictures

Secret Garden Images

120705001.jpg

120705023.jpg

Time: 2:30pm
Depth: 130ft
Duration: 39mins
Vis 20ft + mostly

A nice dive in the canyon with Sergio. Surf was negligible, the water was was warm and the vis at depth was very nice, if a little dark due to the cruddy surface layer. All this made for a very nice dive, especially with the amount of critters out and about. These included one swell shark (casper), a very large red octopus, lots of different types of nudibranch - Macfarlane's dorid, spanish shawl, limbaughs' Cadlina, San Diego dorid, Cadlina Luteomarginata - and they are just the ones I remember off the top of my head, since my camera gave me the blue screen of death (and it's not even windows based!) so I don't have any photos to remind me.
There were a lot of fish around, including a large shoal of bait fish near the cable : I wonder if they are the same species as the shoal at the Yukon?
Also, at the bottom of the draw, the rocks and ledges which are now mostly exposed after the flushing from the winter storms, are covered in a white substance which is eerily reminiscent of snow on the mountains - I would love to know what that is - Sergio tells me it appears every so often and he thinks it is some sort of mineral deposit.

Oh, yes; I found a bikini bra in the shallows on the way out: describe it and it's yours.

Peter

Date:July 16th
Dive Location:Marineland
Time: 9:20
Bottom Time: 1:10
Max Depth: 67'
Vis: 0-15'
Wave height: 1-6'
Temp at depth: 56F
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments:I joined Claudette and Carlos for yet another Marineland dive. We entered at the cove and made the surface swim to the point. With a strong surface current going that way it was a fairly easy swim. We dropped down near the outside of the reef in 60 feet of murky water. Once on the bottom, the hunt was on for life. We found the usual spectacular colors splashed on every rock from sponges, algae, anemones and nudibranchs.
July16_025.jpg

Claudette pointed out the fattest Cabezon in the World. His head looked like a basketball.
July16_034.jpg

There were also a few nice sized Lingcod in the area. Some of the rocks there are like mini pinnacles. One in particular rose off the bottom at 45 feet and its vertical wall jutted skyward around 25 feet. Every inch of it was covered in a carpet of colorful animals.
Our exit was as graceful as we could manage in high surf. Carlos made it out first without incident while Claudette and I waited out the next set. I used the power of a six footer to push me close enough to walk out without getting pounded. When I got to dry land I noticed that my camera was no longer in my possesion. After a brief search Claudette spotted it in the foamberg floating just offshore. I went back in without my tanks and thankfully retrieved it. Things could be worse. Ask Christian (Headhunter) about his new bruises and abrasions. :)
July16_061.jpg

After the dive, Jeff Shaw and I did a little trespassing on the old site and found a man and two kids playing good guy vs. bad guys in the old buildings with air guns. It looked like fun.
July16_056.jpg

Vandals have destroyed everything within the site, but it will all be bulldozed in two months anyway.
July16_059.jpg

July16_058.jpg

Excellent report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Date: 7/16
Dive Location:Redondo Pier
Time:12:00pm
Bottom Time:40 min
Max Depth:51ft
Vis:10-20
Wave height:not much
Temp at depth:60
Comments:

Well it was nice to be back in the water. It had been two and a half weeks (too busy).

Dropped down at about 20 ft and swam to the trench. Viz wne to crap when we got there so we decided toputt along the edge where the viz was best.

Saw the usual stuff. We also saw an octopus, which I has heard about but never beleived any where there. I am used to seeing them in the rocks like at Shaw's. Well anyway be spent some time with him then meandered back to shore wher my family was waiting happily.

We cut the dive short at 40-some minutes cause I had to go pickup my car from the shop.

Great Day and Great Dive. I can't wait for the next time (maybe somewhere other than Redondo though, I am getting tired of there)

Take care.

fyi those are paintball guns, great fun.

Date: 1/16/05
Dive Location: Marineland
Time:
Bottom Time:72 Min.
Max Depth: 47 ft.
Vis: 10 - 15 ft.
Wave height:
Temp at depth: 60°
Surface Temp: 66°
Tide information:
Comments:

So, cakayakdiver, stoddu and I decided to enter at the cobblestone beach and surface swim to the point due to rogue wave activity. We didn't want to get caught out on those rocks if a big wave came in. :eyebrow:

We dropped down and began heading in the direction of the cobblestone beach. We meandered our way around the reef structure, while basically heading in that direction. It looked like a nudibranch convention was in town. It was a fantastic dive even though there was quite a bit of large particulate matter in the water column.

On the way across the sand we ran across the line that Phil laid to the floating dock (aka headhunter reef :wink: ), so we followed it out there. We had enough air to circle it once and then surfaced. It was nice to take a look at where it was from the surface. We had a bit of a surface swim to get to our exit, since we were about 700 ft out.

Which brings me to the juicy part. As we approached the shore at the cobblestone beach, it was nice to see that it was fairly calm. For the exit, cakayakdiver was in the lead by about 30 seconds and we watched while he "strolled" up onto the beach very gracefully. I believe stoddu and I were coming out at the same time about 20 - 30 feet apart. I took my fins off, glanced over my shoulder, saw that it was calm and started to "stroll" out just like cakayakdiver had done.

About 30 seconds later, I was in water just over my knees, negotiating over and around the large rocks and boulders when, suddenly, shark.byte.usa was jumping up and down frantically on shore yelling at me to look out and pointing behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see what looked like a fairly large wave starting to form. I turned to face it and soon I found myself in ankle deep water staring up the face of a very large wave.

I decided to take a chance that this wave would reach me before I did a belly flop onto the rocks in front of me and in full gear with fins in hand and mask still in place, I jumped as hard as I could up into the air and toward the wave doing what must have looked like a vertical swan dive with one hand on my mask and the other holding my fins down to my side at the last moment. Later, I was told that with my arms outstretched during my leap of faith that this wave was still about 2 feet beyond my fingertips. I have 8 ft. ceilings here at home and come within about 2 inches of touching it (I just tried). So, now I'm realizing that this was about a 10-foot wave if this was an accurate description.

My timing was good and I did a verticle belly flop onto the face of the wave and successfully through it. As I started to emerge on the other side of the wave floating in water not deep enough to touch the bottom with fins still in hand and mask still on, I was thinking that I had been pretty lucky.

...and then...I saw it... another wave just as big forming right behind it. The water was rapidly dropping and since I was off balance when the rocky beach came up to meet me. I was dropped laying sideways parallel to the shore in what was again ankle deep water. I laid there half on my back staring at this new monster in front of me knowing that this was going to hurt... a lot.

I tucked my chin to my chest, held on to my fins (I thought I might need them for a shot at a swimming recovery in the event of a third monster) and prayed to come out of this one alive. There were also a few expletives in all this, but I'm sure you can all use your imagination on this one.

This thing hit me full force and rolled me across some very uncomfortable rocks. My face was fairly well protected by my hand, but I can't say that for the rest of me. I think the tank took some of the ugliest part of the ride, but my head was spared, except for a minor scratch on my face. My elbows, my knees, my shoulder, my leg and mostly the hand that was protecting my face got pretty well smashed on these rocks. When it passed, I was glad that a third wave did not appear and I was able to then "stroll" out (albeit with a limp) as originally planned.

In all this excitement, which really only lasted about 30 seconds, we began wondering where stoddu was and realized that he had been washed around the corner and into the area in front of the cave. I'll let him tell his own story, since we lost sight of him as he was swept away. We could hear him yelling that he was OK, but could not see him. He also emerged limping and bleeding.

I'm glad to have made it out with only minor cuts and bruises, although diving was definitely over for this day. I plan on making it to Leo Carrillo tomorrow morning to do it again with slightly less adventure on the exit.

In all this, when I got back up the hill to the parking lot, I realized that I had lost my weight belt in the process. Everyone there was kind enough to help me look for it and Phil (maxbottomtime) saw it about two feet in front of me in the surf. It was wedged under a rock and looked like it was waving at us to come rescue it. :crafty:

Those of you who know me know that I love to tell a story! So, I'll let those who were watching from the beach point out where this tale may have gotten a little "tall". :D

That said, these bruises feel pretty real. :11:

Christian

California Diver:
fyi those are paintball guns, great fun.
We asked him about them. He said paintballs are too messy on private property. He pulled out the clip and they are small plastic BBs. He said they still hurt, but don't leave a bruise as paint balls do.

Marineland, Palos Verdes
July 16, 2005
Splash: 0915
Run time: 1 hour
Max depth: 70 fsw
Deep temp: 55F (Aeris)
Gas: Redondo Beach air
Surf: uhm...yeah!

Dive California (Carlos), MaxBT (Phil) and I rallied early in the Marineland parking lot under gray skies. Intermittent surf boomed…uhm, ‘gently’…in the background. It was thumbs-up to dive because the lulls were long and smooth…and ‘cause we just wanted to dive. Go figure?! Entry at the point looked like a dice-toss. So, having nothing to prove, we timed a pretty slick entry at Cobble Beach and assumed the “Sky-Worship” position for the 10-minute surface swim out to the point. Visibility below the surface murk was a dark-green 10-15 feet: Excellent for torch-illuminated exploration of the pinnacles between 45 and 70fsw. It was like being in the best possible SoCal Aquarium because there was a huge variety of life everywhere (12 species of nudibranchs!), each corner held a surprise (Big cabezons, ling cod, pretty baby treefish), nothing was labeled (new nudi’s…maybe Max’s photos will ID?), and two GREAT friends to play with! “*Flash*-Check it out”… “Hey look at this!”… “Wow!” We stumbled upon the biggest pinnacle yet: 25 feet vertical from sand to peak.

We just couldn’t tear ourselves away from the pinnacles…so our prize was a looong surface swim back against the current. Carlos zoomed through the surf and did the Cobble-Jog away from the waterline. Phil and I noticed the first set-wave lifting us up, so we waited for the next lull…and waited…and…finally scampered out with Knight-in-Shining-Wet-Tee-Shirt assistance from Jeff Shaw (“Thanks…whew!!”) Alas, Phils camera had slipped from his wrist like the One Ring of Power slipping from a hobbit’s plump finger. But it must truly belong to him because it was soon spotted amidst the offshore foambergs, and Phil braved the peaceful lull to retrieve it. (Whew..again!)

The shore break was ruthless, and the brave walking-wounded reassembled in stages in the parking lot, war wounds galore. There was blood shed and swollen hands, ankles, shoulders all around. Ouch! Headhunter was taking Head-to-toe inventory… “C*&$…no weight belt! That Was quite an exit!” So, once more unto the beach, dear friends, in search of the wayward belt. Rocks..gravel..water..rocks..blue webbing… “Hey, get it!”

It has been tested and proven that Headhunter and his weight belt, and Phil and his camera are meant to be together forever…just not always!
It was great to see DiveBuddySean and friends from San Diego, and Beth & Ross-O (still nursing “The Foot” back to health), and JeffShaw (again...thanks!!) Welcome to new friends Steve (Stodu) and Jeff (CaKayakdiver)

Great dive, Carlos and Phil!. Thank you both, from the bottom of my tanks, for all the fun!

Nudibranch list: Spanish shawl, Hermissenda crassicornis (everywhere!), San Diego Dorid, Sea Lemon, Cadlina luteomarginata, Triopha catalinae, Doriopsilla albopunctata/Dendrodoris fulva (can't tell them apart!), Mexichromis porterae, Facelina stearnsi, Cuthona divae (new to me), Cadlina limbaughorum, and an unknown all-white Cadlina-shaped nudi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom